What's new

A conundrum, Gillette Aristocrat.

My favorite razor is a well worn finish 46-47 Aristocrat, mechanicaly perfect with no nicks or dings! shaves like a dream.

Have really been thinking about having it replated to its original gold glory. However I also would like to get an original case and blade bank for it, instead of keeping it in the razor rack where it will possibly get banged around.

As my wife pointed out, why not find one with decent plating and with a case or just a case and use the old one when your feeling it. Price wise you might be ahead? $75 for a replate or $75+++ for a decent cased one.

Sounds simple enough, right. Been searching the bay and a few other places to no avail. Either the case is decent and missing the blade bank and the razor is in horrible condition or a trashed case with a decent razor and blade bank. Or a nice case and bank with a tech in it LOL and a crazy price tags to boot!

So I am really on the fence as what to do? I know it sounds crazy but a matching case for it just tickles my fancy! I have several other razors with there cases and I find I use them more often than those in the rack other than the Aristocrat which has became my favorite gillette model.

I am sooo confused! :)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Do the re-plate, your razor will be ready for years of glorious use and keep your eyes open or post a WTB for a case if you feel the need.

I had a nice model like yours redone in nickel about a dozen years ago. Just a thought.

full

My favorite razor is a well worn finish 46-47 Aristocrat, mechanicaly perfect with no nicks or dings! shaves like a dream.

Have really been thinking about having it replated to its original gold glory. However I also would like to get an original case and blade bank for it, instead of keeping it in the razor rack where it will possibly get banged around.

As my wife pointed out, why not find one with decent plating and with a case or just a case and use the old one when your feeling it. Price wise you might be ahead? $75 for a replate or $75+++ for a decent cased one.

Sounds simple enough, right. Been searching the bay and a few other places to no avail. Either the case is decent and missing the blade bank and the razor is in horrible condition or a trashed case with a decent razor and blade bank. Or a nice case and bank with a tech in it LOL and a crazy price tags to boot!

So I am really on the fence as what to do? I know it sounds crazy but a matching case for it just tickles my fancy! I have several other razors with there cases and I find I use them more often than those in the rack other than the Aristocrat which has became my favorite gillette model.

I am sooo confused! :)
Finding a correct matching case can for sure provide a little extra coolness 👍🏼

Have you seen this listing?

ball end Gillette Tech double edge gold tone safety razor aristocrat case vtg | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/295027257994?

With a little cleaning the case could turn out decent and the blade bank looks good too. It has been for sale for over 6 months and has the "make offer" enabled. I would write to seller and explain that you would like to restore it a bit and since the razor is a mismatch you can offer 30USD or something like that.

Give it a try and see how low you can go 🙂

Finding a correct matching case can for sure provide a little extra coolness 👍🏼

Have you seen this listing?

ball end Gillette Tech double edge gold tone safety razor aristocrat case vtg | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/295027257994?

With a little cleaning the case could turn out decent and the blade bank looks good too. It has been for sale for over 6 months and has the "make offer" enabled. I would write to seller and explain that you would like to restore it a bit and since the razor is a mismatch you can offer 30USD or something like that.

Give it a try and see how low you can go 🙂
Have that one in my fav's. Been thinking on it!

Only slightly off topic, but I have a 1936 Gillette Aristocrat, with the original gold-plated blade bank and the original gold-plated case. All items are in excellent condition and are original. Even the purple velvet interior of the case is factory fresh. I paid a premium price of $300 about 5 years ago for the set, and I'd gladly do it again.

Oh, did I mention 1936 is my birth year?

Butterbean

Goodnight sir!
You’re looking for a case to keep the razor nice, so if the case is a bit beat up but closes properly and protects the razor, that’s all that would really matter to me. My aristocrat case is a bit beat up but I still use it. Sorry, it’s not for sale.

Top Bottom