What's new

A confession, dear friends. I have failed both you and me this morning...

As I've posted, I'm a die hard DE guy. Yes, I have an electric razor and have always had one either for travel or hitting a missed spot. I've also kept a stash of twin blade disposables (and single blade Bics in the past) for the same use. But, by God, I havent shaved with a cartridge for a full shave since the days of the Track II (Gillette advertising was strong my friends and they'd never steered us wrong before. I even got the gel!).

Fast forward 40 plus years to last night. I was going through a large closet in a spare bedroom to clean it out and what do I find? A Gillette Gift box with a Mach III razor (the old metal ones), four carts and a can of foaming gel with aloe vera and 3X on the label. The box was dated 2019 and everything in it was made in china. I vaguely remembered it as a Christmas gift from a relative who heard I shaved with a blade but really cant recall.

Anyway, I normally shave in the afternoons but have a business meeting a little later so I had the bright idea of shaving with this sucker to see just how bad they were compared to a DE, proper soap/cream, brush, etc. Only about 10 hours of growth and, on me, I don't have a shadow by then.

Wet my face, squirted out what I thought was the right amount of gel (way too much and there were no instructions on dosing on the can). Very thick, slick, inoffensive smell but I couldn't imagine the razor getting through it. I shaved like the commercials - long stokes, big smile, couldn't feel a thing. Rinsed the blades often with hot water. WTG actually did OK. Plenty of goo and slickness left and added a little water to my face. Same with XTG and finally, ATG. Cheeks were good, chin and jaw were good, neck was so-so and that would be an issue for regular use with a cart. My neck, as I age, is more of a trouble area for me anyway but something I can deal with using a DE and good technique.

Good rinse and a little Proraso Geen balm. Honestly, I was surprised. I'd call it a DFS, the one that is suitable for the office and most guys using safety razors but not to my BBS standards whatsoever. A solid B- to B. What I liked is just how fast you could go to get an acceptable shave and I can see why guys who are rushed in the morning might prefer a cart razor. Shave is only fair and probably terrible if one has more than a days growth but acceptable.

Bottom line, a very strange experience but am glad to have tried it. Will keep the stuff and use it on occasion without shame. ;) I recall the Track II was a better shave but that could just be memory issues as it was so long ago and I don't count my chinese disposables as equivalent to a genuine Trac II razor.

Please accept my confession in the spirit it was intended! :D

Last edited:
Oh no. We've lost you.

Shame.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
If it works for you go for it! I've been back to "traditional" wetshaving a while, but have every couple years had the itch to try a cart - even bought a new fangled one to see if they'd gotten any better. Each time I was less than impressed with the shave. I last used canned foam circa 2008 ..

For speed I'll use a synthetic brush & some shaving cream (Proraso usually), using a Schick Injector (most often a Type M) which gives a superior result for me, might take that extra minute to make lather as opposed to a pushbutton, but still well worth it ..

I must say I’ve also been idly wondering how well a cartridge razor would shave for me now that I’ve been DE shaving for a decade and have learned so much more. It’s been a very long time since I used a cartridge but I don’t remember the shaves being inferior or not close enough. Then again my hair must be a lot tougher now.

I do remember I could only get two properly good shaves from a cartridge before the blades were blunt, and the cost was egregious (and much more so now). I remember the clogging too - that was continually annoying. But some day I’ll pick one up in the store and try it, just for curiosity.

If Gillette hadn't started picking my pocket with the original Sensor cartridges I'd have never come back to DE....but then I'd never found this place.

I loved my Sensors. I used them for like 110 years. I switched because I just got bored. I tried going back to my favorite Sensor while on vacation about 10 months after switching to DE. It was awful, and I tossed it in the trash and didn't shave again until I got home. In my box of shave items banished to the basement, I have an unopened 5 blade Gillette something that I was sent in the mail years back. I hold onto it in case I get so old that my wife takes my DE blades away.

There is nothing to apologise for.

In fact, using a cartridge or disposable razors once in a while may remind us why we abandoned them in the first place and may also make us realise when and why they still may have a (small) role to play in our lives (e.g travelling by air with only carry-on baggage).

Whenever I tried (after converting to safety and straight razors many years ago) one of the above gadgets, I was always glad to go back to my straight or safety razors and I enjoyed the feel of a good quality shave with a good shaving brush and soap/cream even more.

I admit, I also tried some gel or foam from the can once in a while while travelling on long-distance flights (My excuse: I didn't buy them, they were freebies in my class of travel), but these were at best adequate and I invariably missed the luxurious sensation of using brush and shaving soap or cream.

To my way of thinking, there is nothing to be ashamed for.
If our traditional way of safety/straight razor shaving is really superior, then we should always go back to these traditional ways, shouldn't we?

Unless we are - like with the dreaded instant coffee - under such time pressure that we are forced to trade quality for a few minutes of saved time.
But how often do we really have to do that?

And yes; there was a time in the 1970s when I thought the Gillette G II/Trac II was the bees knees, but I was young, ignorant and impressionable then and still had a lot to learn.
But as I grew older, ever new hyped-up gadget from Gillette fell even more short of the hype, until I had enough of the price gouging and saw the light...

B.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I loved my Sensors. I used them for like 110 years. I switched because I just got bored. I tried going back to my favorite Sensor while on vacation about 10 months after switching to DE. It was awful, and I tossed it in the trash and didn't shave again until I got home. In my box of shave items banished to the basement, I have an unopened 5 blade Gillette something that I was sent in the mail years back. I hold onto it in case I get so old that my wife takes my DE blades away.
My lovely best friend threatens me every day that she will start throwing out my stuff! I need to start that Swedish Death Cleansing thing or whatever it's called. A Gentle Art of Cleaning? I think old @Macfrommichigan started a thread, and I even checked out the book from the library.

I found it to be a great THEORY, but much more difficult to DO!

And when I get a diagnosis that limits my time, or the judge gives me an exact date, I doubt even then cleaning up my mess will be high on my list of priorities! My plan is to go to town on that little list of personnel problems I think needs my attention, lol.

Well, at least you cheated with the Mach III. Could have been a lot worse! 😉
It troubled me that while at Costco today, I was looking at the Mach III carts on sale. Price worked out to $1.87 each. But no, I didn't fall into sin that far. I looked but didn't buy. :D I also need to shave again. The Mach III gave me a good shave but nothing like I need to accomplish each day. A cart shave doesn't last. BTW, I saw they were also selling Harry's at Costco!

Do not fear, dear friends, I shan't be abandoning the way I've shaved most of my adult life for a quickie with a Gillette Siren... ;) But seriously, this Mach III head works better than the twin blade disposables I keep on hand for missed whiskers and such. I have 4 carts that came in this little Christmas gift set so I'm sure I'm good for a long time. The blades easily rinse clean in hot water and I even inspected the cart with a 10x loupe. It was quite clean, but my advice is, don't ever do that. Stay away from loupes altogether; they only bring misery, dissatisfaction, and heartbreak. Ask any fine watch owner...

However, when I got home, my freshly repaired and replated Old Type from Chris Spencer at Back Roads Gold was in my mailbox. I'd rather shave with this!

fullsizeoutput_44d8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_44da.jpeg

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It troubled me that while at Costco today, I was looking at the Mach III carts on sale. Price worked out to $1.87 each. But no, I didn't fall into sin that far. I looked but didn't buy. :D I also need to shave again. The Mach III gave me a good shave but nothing like I need to accomplish each day. A cart shave doesn't last. BTW, I saw they were also selling Harry's at Costco!

Do not fear, dear friends, I shan't be abandoning the way I've shaved most of my adult life for a quickie with a Gillette Siren... ;) But seriously, this Mach III head works better than the twin blade disposables I keep on hand for missed whiskers and such. I have 4 carts that came in this little Christmas gift set so I'm sure I'm good for a long time. The blades easily rinse clean in hot water and I even inspected the cart with a 10x loupe. It was quite clean, but my advice is, don't ever do that. Stay away from loupes altogether; they only bring misery, dissatisfaction, and heartbreak. Ask any fine watch owner...

However, when I got home, my freshly repaired and replated Old Type from Chris Spencer at Back Roads Gold was in my mailbox. I'd rather shave with this!

View attachment 1526260
View attachment 1526262
Absolutely beautiful my friend. Wow. Looks better than new to my old eyes!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.

View attachment 1526260
View attachment 1526262
BEW TI FULL!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yup, I think only the Gillette single blade sold in India or the two blade Gillette Skinguard would be the only thing from them that would knock down several days of growth with ease.

The other cart that might handle days of growth is the Schick Stubble Eraser

How could you?😢

In all seriousness, I have a Panasonic Arc 5 that has the job that the DE can't handle (or I don't want it to handle):
trimming the hair that grows above my ears and weird rogue hairs that grow in that area.
I came from electrics so it's always sitting in my den for those jobs. And I also use a Norelco Titanium trimmer for trimming the goatee down, the keylock looking holes under my lip on the goatee and nose hair trimming.
Another thing I sometimes use for travel are Bic disposables!
They're all tools!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Dude, nobody need no cart, that's what Henson razors are for, quick worry free shaves.

proxy.php

Ohhhh, I do believe I modified my Henson razor. Well, would you look at that? It tempts you, it taunts you, now you must get one.

Henson go give that cart razor a kick in the pants, CCS will be upgrading to a Henson razor.

Top Bottom