What's new

A conclusion about Williams Mug Shave Soap

With a little bit of attention, Williams works fine.

My problem with it is the soap gives me a lot of irritation. Sad because it is very slick and it is dirt cheap.

Marc

Funny. I just picked up the Aqua Velva gift pack at Walgreen's yesterday and decided to use the Williams that came with it. I've been using C.O. Bigelow (Proraso) cream exclusively for a few years now so it was different.

Good soap - let it soak, used a wet brush and had a good shave. Am I going to switch? Heck no, but it was interesting to go back to the old standard.

I will say this though - if you can get a good quality lather from Williams - you should be able to easily get a good quality lather from the "high end" stuff.

My conclusion is simple for me, it works and I used it. I understand the opinions of other wet shavers that the soap seem to not work for hem, but to me I have no difficulty to built a very stable lather. It is not the best around but surely not the worst, it's true that the vintage formula lather almost by itself VS modern but to my honnest opinion when you dial modern Williams the right way I don't see any difference whit Vintage Williams. For those who like it used it for the others there's other soaps.

I use distilled water for Williams, and it helps. Needs to have some EDTA added to the soap, the problem with it is that hard water causes severe precipitation of calcium stearate (soap scum) and that prevents good lather. Far less of it by using distilled water, and it's cheap enough.

I still really like the slickness. Don't have a need for 1/4 thick hard foam on my face, and I don't mind adding a bit of lather part way through a pass -- I'm pretty slow shaving at the moment because I have to balance on one foot due to a broken ankle, which is a bit distracting. So is the ankle pain for that matter.

Best way to use it so far is to soak the soap a bit, then use a squeezed out brush to load it until the tip of the brush is full of dense, small bubbled soap, then face lather adding water by dipping the tip of the brush in water three or four times. Good lasting lather, thin and wet rather than hard white foam, nice and slick. Gives me a good shave every time.

Peter

Agreed. I like Williams but I don't think it is a premium soap either. But if you get it to work it is nice enough and more than just servicable.

What kind of trying out is that? You always give up after the first attempt or only with cheap products? You don't have to like it for sure but I can't take anybody's opinion serious after just one try. Sorry.

I couldn't agree more with you on your second point. I have never personally tried Williams because I cant find it anywhere around me. And I am not about to pay $2 an ounce for it on line. If I find it, I will try it but yea, one attempt is not "trying" it.

If the modern version works this well...where in the world do you find vintage Williams?

I found a puck at an antique store. They are probably also being sold on e-bay. I paid $3.50 or so for mine; looked to be unused. Scent is gone, but it lathers wonderfully.

My first experience of Williams was the vintage stuff. I local guy pif'd it to me last spring, just a month or two after I started using a brush. He's one of those B&B guys with 100 pucks of "modern" and another 50 of "vintage" Williams. It was really good, but it had no scent whatsoever. He also taught me how to get lather from today's Williams. He said the key is to use the puck as often as possible so that it stays soft(ish). I'm on my second new puck and so far he's been right. I get really effective lather- it isn't billowing, but its there. It smells good, and my face feels good afterwards. If I use it 3 or 5 times a week it doesn't really seem to be much different than the vintage Williams I used at first.

I found a puck at an antique store. They are probably also being sold on e-bay. I paid $3.50 or so for mine; looked to be unused. Scent is gone, but it lathers wonderfully.

I have looked quite a bit locally, but have yet to find any. I some point I may break down and try the Bay.

FYI
You can order Williams from Walgreens online and have it shipped to a store for free. Currently $1.50 per puck.

I've gotten great results from Williams. It's finicky, sure, but when you know how to use it, it works well. It's not difficult to use either, just add more water than normal and work it in, you'll get a great lather without any dissipation. I prefer it to VDH. I hope they keep the soap around.

My problem is the opposite. I just spend a few hours this week looking for some. The local Walgreens use to have it, but they carry it no longer. Neither does the CVS Pharmacy. I could get it from Walmart online (not on their shelves) for $3.35 a box. I'm not in the hinterlands, but the suburbs of Chicago. Guess I'l have to find a place online as wet shave products are a wee bit scarce at the brick and mortar.

I have no problem getting a lather from Williams but before I can complete one pass on one half of my face the lather on the rest of my face is drying and needs re-wetting. It lathers but lacks lubricating quality and longevity. I have a new puck or two lying around, may try them as hand soap.
If your lather is dissipating, add more water. When you've added enough water, the lather doesn't dissipate. I've noticed that my initial "lather" with Williams is just big bubbles, but as you add more water and work it into the lather, you can see the it transform before your very eyes. The consistency changes when you have the right proportion of water to soap. Williams is thirsty.

Last edited:
I use Williams Mug like a shaving stick, rubbing it onmy face. The best way to use it to its full potential IMHO

PS: My Walmart do not sell it anymore, it’s gone!

I don't know....not a bad deal for the price and I kind of like the smell of it....probably a good travel soap so you're not out much if you lose it. It performed decently well for me but I have about a 5 year supply of soaps in my cabinet now so I won't be buying any for quite a while unless something comes out that I just have to try LOL I seem to keep acquiring more and more soap faster than I can use it....

I can still find it but I not used it for a while cause I been using the ARKO pretty hard. Along with my homemade Colgate and Vintage Williams grated and pressed puck.

The secret to getting effective cushion and slick glide with Williams is to use enough product.

I'll show my secret technique one more time, for you new guys who may not be in on it yet....

proxy.php
This thread needs a bump every now and then for newbies to this forum and not yet initiated to the Williams latherers school headed by Topgumby to learn good old ways ! :)

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Soap is soap and water is water--only variable is the lather maker ! have used Williams for over 50 years, and in some places the water was so hard you should use a plastic mug as the water may break any other types!

Top Bottom