A Comparison Between The German & Egyptian Manufactured Bolzano Blades

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20211021_194225~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CR1
Blade: German Bolzano (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Van Yulay Puros La Habana
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman VIBR
20211021_194309~2.jpg

Loaded the ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CR1 razor with a German Bolzano. Back to my preferred Steep Angle. Efficient, really smooth and very effective combination. The German blade works great using a Steep Angle. Very comfortable. Great results! :thumbup:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Beautiful razor and brush! Well done on figuring out the best combos :)
It really is amazing how minor variations like blade thickness and coating
can make such a huge difference.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
:eek6: David, I can only say that I am SHOCKED!

:hand: You, as a serious shaving equipment aficionado, SHOULD MUST have one! They take up very little space and are not expensive (unless you want extreme accuracy... i.e. to the nth decimal place).

View attachment 1343965

View attachment 1343966
Please excuse the blurry pics. :blushing:
I got mine back when they still came in wooden boxes :cornut:
20211023_095338[1].jpg
20211023_095313[1].jpg

We had all of the fancy digital mikes at work, but all my inspection equipment is analog and Vernier. I still have my Grandpa's old mikes with patent dates from 1897.

I guess I should order some of the Egyptian blades to try out with these German Bolzano's, then I can measure and feel the difference myself. :thumbsup:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Yes. On those occasions when I lose the majority of the feeling and grip in my right hand, I have a difficult time holding on to the Piccolo handle.

Better to use a handle that I can grip than to drop, and potentially damage, a beautiful razor.
I think it looks pretty cool David @never-stop-learning , now that I think of it, the handle from Black Nickel Mk1 Grande would look great on my SE :punk:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
David @never-stop-learning, I just looked a the pictures you posted at the beginning of the thread, and I'm officially confused, as your picture states the blades I have are the Egyptian blades, but the box says made in Germany. I got these about a year ago.

doug

Attachments

• 20211023_105210[1].jpg
    20211023_105210[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211023_105229[1].jpg
    20211023_105229[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
With a Grande handle? :eek6:
Absolutely correct. On those occasions when I lose the majority of the feeling and grip in my right hand, I have a difficult time holding on to the Piccolo handle.

Better to use a handle that I can grip than to drop, and potentially damage, a beautiful razor. :)
:hand: Absolutely incorrect.

With Fatips (in particular) the handle defines the razor. So as soon as you change the handle you change the razor. You have transformed (what was) your Piccolo into a Grande.

With regard to changing handles in order to suit your personal requirements better, I'm with you 100%. :thumbup:

As an example, here's my beloved Fatip GT (i.e. a standard Fatip head on a magical @Rosseforp GT handle):
Mk2+GTH-R_2021-08-10.jpg

Remember my mantra. ;)
Don't-Sweat-the-Small-Stuff.jpg
Fortunately (or unfortunately) for me, I've been a detail freak my whole life. I come from a family of detail freaks, so it's in the blood. (Therefore, sweating the small stuff comes as naturally as breathing.)

Most of my jobs have virtually been given to me, due to my detail freakishness. Companies that pay no attention to the small stuff tend not to last too long. On saying that, most rich people (of which I'm definitely not one) are far from being detail freaks... but they usually employ a few. :wink2:

TMI, I know. :blushing:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I think it looks pretty cool David @never-stop-learning , now that I think of it, the handle from Black Nickel Mk1 Grande would look great on my SE :punk:
Thank you, my friend. :)
:hand: Absolutely incorrect.

With Fatips (in particular) the handle defines the razor. So as soon as you change the handle you change the razor. You have transformed (what was) your Piccolo into a Grande.

With regard to changing handles in order to suit your personal requirements better, I'm with you 100%. :thumbup:

As an example, here's my beloved Fatip GT (i.e. a standard Fatip head on a magical @Rosseforp GT handle):
View attachment 1350853

Fortunately (or unfortunately) for me, I've been a detail freak my whole life. I come from a family of detail freaks, so it's in the blood. (Therefore, sweating the small stuff comes as naturally as breathing.)

Most of my jobs have virtually been given to me, due to my detail freakishness. Companies that pay no attention to the small stuff tend not to last too long. On saying that, most rich people (of which I'm definitely not one) are far from being detail freaks... but they usually employ a few. :wink2:

TMI, I know. :blushing:
Then I will gladly assume the role of the "Anti-Pedantic". ;) 🤣

As an aside: When building my teams over 41 years in the tech sector, I always made sure to have a detail person on the team - to drive me crazy if nothing else. ;)

@Cal my friend, after more corporate personality assessments than I remember, I'm pretty comfortable stating that my personality type is the exact opposite of an analytical.

So.....It's a Fatip Piccolo that is used, occasionally, with the handle from my Roedter 1909. :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David @never-stop-learning, I just looked a the pictures you posted at the beginning of the thread, and I'm officially confused, as your picture states the blades I have are the Egyptian blades, but the box says made in Germany. I got these about a year ago.

doug
Hi Doug - In each of the photos, the German blade is on top, the Egyptian blade is on the bottom:
David sent along some photos of the differences between the blades. German on top and Egyptian on bottom on all of the following pics:

View attachment 1341478View attachment 1341479View attachment 1341480

German
20211002_073314~2.jpg

Egyptian

The wax paper wrapper on the German blade is plain vs. printing on the Egyptian blade. 🔽🔽
German
20211002_073347~2.jpg

Egyptian

German
20211002_073440~2.jpg

Egyptian

Hope this helps to clarify?

Last edited:
Thank you, my friend. :)

Then I will gladly assume the role of the "Anti-Pedantic". ;) 🤣

As an aside: When building my teams over 41 years in the tech sector, I always made sure to have a detail person on the team - to drive me crazy if nothing else. ;)

@Cal my friend, after more corporate personality assessments than I remember, I'm pretty comfortable stating that my personality type is the exact opposite of an analytical.

So.....It's a Fatip Piccolo that is used, occasionally, with the handle from my Roedter 1909. :cool:

I drive everyone crazy. Especially myself ;)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hi Doug - In each of the photos, the German blade is on top, the Egyptian blade is on the bottom:

German
View attachment 1350977
Egyptian

The wax paper wrapper on the German blade is plain vs. printing on the Egyptian blade. 🔽🔽
German
View attachment 1350980
Egyptian

German
View attachment 1350982
Egyptian

Hope this helps to clarify?
Nope, I'm even more flummoxed than before. The box my blades came in looks just like the Egyptian box in your picture, and the blade looks like the Egyptian blade.
20211023_224536.jpg

But the wrapper looks like the German wrapper, and the box clearly says Made in Germany.
20211023_224555.jpg

Could these blades be tweener's that got the packaging mixed during the move?:out:

As an aside, I measured a few blades I had laying out while I had my old micrometers out.
My Bolzano=.0040"
Feather Hi Stainless=.0040"
Wizamet SI=.0036"

doug

I immediately saw what you were getting at after going back to the first page. Maybe they are German box left overs, already printed, sent to Egypt? I hate to say they would have no qualms about the incorrect manufacturing location, but if they are for the EU market that would matter.:crazy:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Nope, I'm even more flummoxed than before. The box my blades came in looks just like the Egyptian box in your picture, and the blade looks like the Egyptian blade.
View attachment 1351220
But the wrapper looks like the German wrapper, and the box clearly says Made in Germany.
View attachment 1351221
Could these blades be tweener's that got the packaging mixed during the move?:out:

As an aside, I measured a few blades I had laying out while I had my old micrometers out.
My Bolzano=.0040"
Feather Hi Stainless=.0040"
Wizamet SI=.0036"

doug
Now I understand your question. Thank you for the clarification.

I listed the blades according to how they were identified on the respective boxes.

I only have a few of the Egyptian blades sent to me from @Neilzebub for our comparison.

I just got more blades marked "Made in Germany". Will compare samples from the new batch to my existing blades. Also bought a micrometer and will measure blades from each "Made in Germany" box of 100 and also one of the remaining "Made in Egypt" blades.
I immediately saw what you were getting at after going back to the first page. Maybe they are German box left overs, already printed, sent to Egypt? I hate to say they would have no qualms about the incorrect manufacturing location, but if they are for the EU market that would matter.:crazy:
That would be a less than optimal scenario. Install the blade, lather up and try to shave with a steep angle. If the steep angle strokes provide lots of audible feedback, really tug and are harsh but shallow angle strokes are smoother and cut clean, I'd bet that the blade is Egyptian. :)

Top Bottom