What's new

A Comparison Between The German & Egyptian Manufactured Bolzano Blades

So David @never-stop-learning and I had discussed comparing these two blades for some time now. He very kindly sent me the German blades and I sent him some of the new (Lord?) made in Egypt. We decided on this method to compare them:

Day 1: German blade in the R95
Day 2: German blade in the R95
Day 3: Egyptian Blade in the R95
Day 4: Egyptian blade in the R95
Day 5: German blade in the Piccolo
Day 6: German blade in the Piccolo
Day 7: Egyptian blade in the Piccolo
Day 8: Egyptian blade in the Piccolo

We will post our shaves as we go. I intend (life permitting ha ha) to post my first one this evening.
Happy shaves all.

David sent along some photos of the differences between the blades. German on top and Egyptian on bottom on all of the following pics:

20211002_073314~2.jpg
20211002_073347~2.jpg
20211002_073440~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So David @never-stop-learning and I had discussed comparing these two blades for some time now. He very kindly sent me the German blades and I sent him some of the new (Lord?) made in Egypt. We decided on this method to compare them:

We will post our shaves as we go. I intend (life permitting ha ha) to post my first one this evening.
Happy shaves all.

Thank you, Neil.

We are both using the Fatip Piccolo OC and the Mühle Rocca R95 as our test razors.

I should have my first shave in sometime this afternoon (Pacific time).

The Bolzano is my preferred blade in my Fatip, Joris, Schöne and Roedter (all Made by Fatip) razors. It will be very interesting to see how the new Egyptian blade compares. :)

This should be interesting; thanks for this opportunity.
I will post my first shave this evening barring unforeseen events ;)

Happy shaves all.

Wouldn’t such a thread find a more appropriate home in Safety Razors —> Safety Razor Blades?

B.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20211005_153737~2.jpg

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Blade: German Bolzano (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm Original BOSS)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave/Fragrance: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
20211005_153824~2.jpg

For the next eight days, @Neilzebub and I are evaluating and comparing the old German Bolzano blades with the new Egyptian Bolzano blades. The German Bolzano is a blade with which I am extremely familiar. It has been my preferred blade in all of my Fatip (and others who source from Fatip) razors since I first tried the combination a couple of years back. This is my first use of any Bolzano in the Mühle Rocca R95 v4. I have previously described the Mühle Rocca as "so smooth that it is deceptively efficient". The R95 v4 is a very effective DE. The German Bolzano matches up nicely with the R95 v4. An efficient and smooth combination! Overall, the combination is Medium+ to Medium++ Effective. All of the component parts used in today's shave worked really well together. With this synergy, I was able to zero in on a good baseline for the German Bolzano blade.

All in all, a very pleasant shave. :thumbup:

Check out my Journal for additional shave notes:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Blade: German Bolzano (1)
Brush: Simpson Duke3
Bowl: Pereira Shavery Scuttle
Lather: Rasozero Agrumella
Aftershave/Fragrance: Imperial Barber Grade Products Bergamot AS

I really like this razor. A lot. I've decided to name her 'Treesa'. I also found the combo of the R95 and the German Bolzano worked very well. I found the glide very good, and it did a fantastic job on my trouble spots -- Adam's Apple and jawline. I rather suspect the Rocca's ability to maintain blade rigidity makes it great with many blades. Time will tell.

IMG_0619.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Blade: German Bolzano (1)
Brush: Simpson Duke3
Aftershave/Fragrance: Imperial Barber Grade Products Bergamot AS

I really like this razor. A lot. I've decided to name her 'Treesa'. I also found the combo of the R95 and the German Bolzano worked very well. I found the glide very good, and it did a fantastic job on my trouble spots -- Adam's Apple and jawline. I rather suspect the Rocca's ability to maintain blade rigidity makes it great with many blades. Time will tell.

View attachment 1340713
I was pleasantly surprised at how well the German Bolzano worked in the Rocca.

Up to now, this has been my blade choice for my Fatips. I may need to branch out more. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 279 for 279 = 100%
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20211006_124135~2.jpg

Blade: German Bolzano (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) AS3M Handle (Mühle 25mm Silvertip Fibre Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
20211006_124201~2.jpg

Day 2 of @Neilzebub and my evaluation and comparison of the old German Bolzano blades with the new Egyptian Bolzano blades, with additional comments regarding razor synergies. Today's combination is the same as yesterday: the German Bolzano blade paired with the Mühle Rocca R95 v4 razor. Today, I went with 3-passes + touchups. Results: Medium++ Efficient plus Medium++ Smooth equals Medium++ (or better) Effective. Solid DFS to DFS+ shave. Good synergy between razor and blade resulting in a really smooth and pleasant shave. :thumbup:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

@never-stop-learning David I'm very curious how you'll find the Egyptian blades and the synergy.
I'll have my Day 2 up shortly, as soon as the voices give me some peace and quiet ;)
Edit: the grain on your handle looks darker, may I ask if you polished it and if so what might be suitable materials to do so?

Last edited:

I have to agree -- the synergy between the R95 and the German Bolzano is uncannily good. As noted on Day 1 the glide is fantastic. I hope the same applies to the Egyptian blades as I have way more of them ;) Day 2 and again excellent results, particularly on my trouble spots. Pretty safe to say Treesa is my best girl now. Let's hope my real life girlfriend doesn't find out ;)

IMG_0621.JPG

Blade: German Bolzano (2)
Brush:Semogue Owner's Club Mistura AKA Amadeirado (Woody in Portuguese)
Aftershave: Imperial Bergamot Aftershave

IMG_0625.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@never-stop-learning David I'm very curious how you'll find the Egyptian blades and the synergy.
I'll have my Day 2 up shortly, as soon as the voices give me some peace and quiet ;)
Edit: the grain on your handle looks darker, may I ask if you polished it and if so what might be suitable materials to do so?

The razor handle? I periodically use a bit of Olive Oil on the wood. Do the same on any wood handles - razor and brush. :)

Low relative humidity in the high desert (typically less than 20%) can be brutal on wood. ;)

The razor handle? I periodically use a bit of Olive Oil on the wood. Do the same on any wood handles - razor and brush. :)

Low relative humidity in the high desert (typically less than 20%) can be brutal on wood. ;)

I imagine it would! The only time that'd be an issue here is Winter. It's not that warm here with clear skies and it's currently at 94%. Does sound like a great way to polish 'em, cheers.

Top Bottom