What's new

A comment from my wife...

I have often tried to pinpoint when this shift happened. Back in the day, being dressed up even for casual events was quite common. Then somewhere along the way, it seems unkempt and unshaven and sloppy clothes became the fashion. Maybe it was the 60s or 70s. Anti-establishment, down with the man, no one is going to tell me how to dress etc. etc. And it hasn't improved since. Now pajamas and Crocs are considered high fashion.

+1! Sad, but true!! Tee shirts are now worn to the theater around here.

The world has become more casual. Grooming is less valued. Women don't wear hose, men shun ties. And we seem to have gained a few pounds.
...just a few? If you compare today's general public with photos from your family albums taken in the 60s, 70s and early 80s the contrast is stunning...

Yes, the truth hurts. Us men, can easily fall victim to sloth and laziness. Keeping up appearances isn't all that much work, but most of us don't take the time.

My wife is right more than I like to admit, though she lets me feel like I'm right sometimes too lol.

Matt

...just a few? If you compare today's general public with photos from your family albums taken in the 60s, 70s and early 80s the contrast is stunning...

We attended an exhibit of Vivian Maier's earlier this year. She was a midish 20th century, mild mannered Chicago nanny by day, fearless big city street photographer by night and off hours. While standing watching one of her films of an active school playground crowded with kids & adults, a bake sale part of the goings on in the film, overheard from someone standing nearby us watching as well, "nobody's fat".

Was evident in her photos of all strata of city life.
dave

Top Bottom