What's new

A Clubman alternative for thick hair

I have very thick hair. I do the standard part and comb, with the taper down the sides and back. It's brown with a lot of gray. I've been using Clubman styling gel for years (since high school, and I'm 28 now). I always work it into wet hair when I get out of the shower. I either let it air dry or blow dry it. It gives a great hold without looking stiff. It's in place but isn't stiff.

I wish to continue using the Clubman as a go-to product, but am interested in another product that would still keep my thick hair in check. It tends to "poof" if I don't put something on it to keep it shaped correctly. Hence the Clubman. I also like that the Clubman allows me to style it casually with wet or dry fingers (e.g. just a quick brush back, and it's fine). I have switched shampoo & conditioner and I love what that change is doing to the basic condition of the hair. Now I just need to see if another styling product would improve things. I'm thinking of something that would give it some weight and hold, while allowing me to brush through it with my fingers during the day and put it back into place casually.

Gents with thick hair, please chime in. Tell me what you use and why you like it.

sounds familiar..... I've got (maybe slightly less now) thick hair that does as you described, I switched to hair wax years ago. I always hated gel, it would wear off, leave my hands sticky. Only seemed to last 1/2 the day. Hair wax ain't for everyone, it's hard to wash out, but it stays "loose", not glued into place the way gel can, but it lasts all day. Might be worth a try. I can only find it at larger chain beauty salons. One tube lasts me for years.

American Crew Fiber will probably fit your bill.

Redken makes a paste that seems to do an even better job than the AC Fiber at holding hair without making the hair stiff or looking greasy.

Both wash out easily.

I used to use Sunsilk Anti-Poof, but about 6 months ago switched over exclusively to Groom & Clean. It's got a bit more weight to it, but still washes out easily. It worked wonders on deployment when I was wearing my hair longer on top. My hair would have been uncontrollable otherwise.

I have yet to try a product that can really handle my hair, though clubman sounds promising. Using any sort of gel my hair will just go back to normal in an hour or two.

I bought a tube of Gillette Style gel (the "flex" hold, not the firm stuff) and I like it. I am going to experiment with the other suggestions here and see where I get. Thank you, gents.

Maybe it's the new shampoo/conditioner mix, or the Gillette, or both--but my hair is softer and more "free" without the frustrations of being totally without a product in it. I like the smell of the Gillette stuff and it really does keep a nice hold while letting the hair be more natural. I am a couple of weeks overdue on my barber visit and am letting my hair grow out (think maybe a variant on the length & style of RFK?), and I like what the new routine is allowing it to do.

One other interesting result is that the length seems to highlight the increasing amount of gray in my hair. I like that. It's a nice dark brown & gray mix.

I have very thick hair. I do the standard part and comb, with the taper down the sides and back. It's brown with a lot of gray. I've been using Clubman styling gel for years (since high school, and I'm 28 now). I always work it into wet hair when I get out of the shower. I either let it air dry or blow dry it. It gives a great hold without looking stiff. It's in place but isn't stiff.

I wish to continue using the Clubman as a go-to product, but am interested in another product that would still keep my thick hair in check. It tends to "poof" if I don't put something on it to keep it shaped correctly. Hence the Clubman. I also like that the Clubman allows me to style it casually with wet or dry fingers (e.g. just a quick brush back, and it's fine). I have switched shampoo & conditioner and I love what that change is doing to the basic condition of the hair. Now I just need to see if another styling product would improve things. I'm thinking of something that would give it some weight and hold, while allowing me to brush through it with my fingers during the day and put it back into place casually.

Gents with thick hair, please chime in. Tell me what you use and why you like it.

actually the axe gel works great. Seriously its not like the bull crap deodorant

So far, here's what I've found:

- Gillette styling gel (flex hold) gives me the same amount of hold as the Clubman, but with a bit more flexibility and shine. Great scent.

- Groom & Clean is very finicky. If I use just a dab too much, my hair seems oily. I'm not so sure about it. Good scent, though.

- I haven't tried the other suggestions but will keep experimenting. Right now, the Gillette is my go-to gel. The American Crew Fiber looked interesting, but as I see the product description, it's going to make my hair even thicker. I don't need that.

New question, gents:

With the length I'm getting now, I really feel like the top is looking good but around my ears and the back seems unkempt. Should I just keep it trimmed right above my ears and at my neckline, or go to my barber and ask him to neaten it up?

I guess what I'm asking is if this whole commitment to more length means that it all has to grow out, or if I can keep the back & sides a bit neater without looking unbalanced.

New question, gents:

With the length I'm getting now, I really feel like the top is looking good but around my ears and the back seems unkempt. Should I just keep it trimmed right above my ears and at my neckline, or go to my barber and ask him to neaten it up?

I guess what I'm asking is if this whole commitment to more length means that it all has to grow out, or if I can keep the back & sides a bit neater without looking unbalanced.

That is really up to you. when i had long hair( hair that went past my chin in the font and my neck in the back) the way i kept it that long and it looked kept up was that i would go get my hair thinned every two weeks and would get very very little cut off to keep it in check. the thing that makes a big difference though for me was thinning. getting it thinned will make your hair look totally different.

bishop, I am 20 years older than you and have the same problem with the addition of crazy curls, after retiring from the military I let my hair grow out a bit. With the advice from the gents on this forum I ended up using American Crew Pomade, it holds quite well and if my hair starts to poof later in the day I just wet it a bit and brush it back into place. In the morning when I get up I look like the Canadian wildman fresh out of the bush, pretty scarey.

Top Bottom