What's new

A cigar in the car?

its better than a...never mind. It’s a slow weekend here so I’m posting a few goofy opinion questions.

For those that smoke a cigar in the car how do you ash the stick? Out the window, in a cup, the ashtray of your classic Lincoln continental?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

That type is the kind SWMBO had in her car that didn't come with an ashtray (dang world-wide war on any type of smoking). Here you can pick them up at just about any convenience store.

I'm getting ready to replace the "cell phone" charger in my truck that won't do a regular car cigarette lighter with an aftermarket cig. lighter unit from an auto parts store.

These window vents were the greatest idea ever.
At highway speed the outflow sucked out everything that got near it, including ashes or bugs.
Keep cranking it open past 90 degrees and it scooped fresh air in.
proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I use a Xikar ashcan. Has a metal thing inside that will hold the cigar vertical in a pinch, and a platform to snuff out the cherry.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Man I remember those windows. Always the source of horrid high pitched whistles at highway speeds once your car was over a few months old. Might be just me.

XiKar ash can is good for more than just your car. Your cigarette smoking buddies can maybe . . . and I hope not. . . get away with dropping their crap all over the front steps of your place of business. But a big old back end of the cigar you smoke . . . na . . . like a dog turd.

Get one . . . problem solved. Stainless. You can put it through the dish washer (after tapping it out of course . . . and leave the top out or you will loose the logo . . . if it matters.

Xikar can.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Man I remember those windows. Always the source of horrid high pitched whistles at highway speeds once your car was over a few months old. Might be just me.

XiKar ash can is good for more than just your car. Your cigarette smoking buddies can maybe . . . and I hope not. . . get away with dropping their crap all over the front steps of your place of business. But a big old back end of the cigar you smoke . . . na . . . like a dog turd.

Get one . . . problem solved. Stainless. You can put it through the dish washer (after tapping it out of course . . . and leave the top out or you will loose the logo . . . if it matters.

View attachment 961084

Dang that’s a shiny ash can!

I use an old cup holder ash tray that came with a company car, an SUV of some sort, 15 years ago or so. It has a lid and is pretty rugged. I’m guessing they are no longer standard!

At highway speed the outflow sucked out everything that got near it, including ashes or bugs.
proxy.php
Quarter window vents are a design cue that I wish would come back. I remember when I was a kid and Ford had those on the F-150s. I thought they were the coolest thing ever.

+1 to that John Rose.
I had those on more than a few in my time.
The fresh air they brought in was extra special in summer driving in AZ or in Iowa in a late 60's Beetle.
The air never quite got to your feet but it sure helped overall.

proxy.php

I used a tin can in my old jeep. Not pretty, but serviceable...just like the jeep itself.

Also add me to the list of people that loved the wing windows. Those things were fantastic.

I cut down a tin can for my Jeep. I even folded a piece out to hold the stick. New car, no cigars. Pipe smoke passes after a couple days of not smoking in it. Especially if I have the window/sunroof cracked.

I do have a Xicar ash can. Just haven't brought myself to smoke a stick in the new car.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Glad I stumbled on this. Didn’t know I had the same question until now.
Normally I would never smoke in my car because I don’t want it smelling like a cigar all the time. Since my ride is an old beater, I’m going to start.

Glad I stumbled on this. Didn’t know I had the same question until now.
Normally I would never smoke in my car because I don’t want it smelling like a cigar all the time. Since my ride is an old beater, I’m going to start.

I’ll have to look into a few of these ideas. I’ve been using a tin can in the cup holder for a odd stick in the truck. I usually smoke my pipe so I never need to worry about it.

proxy.php

I really miss the Wing windows. Back when cars were cars...

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I would love to have wing windows. My driver's side window doesn't work, so I have to lean over to the passenger side. But I drive a truck, so with the side window and back window cracked open, there's really good airflow. But a conveniently placed wing window would be so much better.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
As far as the original question, I use a cupholder ashtray like you find at any gas station. Not cigar-specific. When actually smoking a cigar, the ashtray gets moved to the armrest cupholder, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to ash. The butt ends up in the dashtray, unless there's a bunch of candy wrappers in it.

Top Bottom