What's new

A caveman and his pipe

:lol: Glad to know I'm not the only crotchety curmudgeon in here.

BTW I had some word in mind but couldn't quite bring it up. I dug through thesaurus.com for a half hour and asked my wife for help and eventually stitched together "crotchety curmudgeon" but I'm not totally satisfied with it.

:lol: Glad to know I'm not the only crotchety curmudgeon in here.

BTW I had some word in mind but couldn't quite bring it up. I dug through thesaurus.com for a half hour and asked my wife for help and eventually stitched together "crotchety curmudgeon" but I'm not totally satisfied with it.

Funny enough, my initial goal was to grow old, fat, and happy. The onset of the type II diabetes said that eating in a way I'd get fat was a bad idea. So now I've settled on growing old, and being the crotchety curmudgeon. lol

I went ahead and tried the SWR aro tonight. That's a mild, well-behaved (after 90 minutes of dry time) smoke with just enough casing to compliment the tobacco without making it taste like something else but also not leaving it cigarettey. Neato!

I loaded too much, I guess. I caught a nic kick, just on the border of nic sick. Heart is pounding and chest is light/airy, with just a hint of nausea.

I went ahead and tried the SWR aro tonight. That's a mild, well-behaved (after 90 minutes of dry time) smoke with just enough casing to compliment the tobacco without making it taste like something else but also not leaving it cigarettey. Neato!

I loaded too much, I guess. I caught a nic kick, just on the border of nic sick. Heart is pounding and chest is light/airy, with just a hint of nausea.

That's about my take on it as well. I call it "lightly aromatic" for those reasons. I actually don't give it any dry time, since I only smoke it in a pretty small shallow bowl, and it's not really that wet fresh from the pouch. It's definitely not at all "goopy" and has never gotten that way on me.

I have that same problem from time to time. Best learn to catch the warning signs and stop before it gets that far. Nice thing of a pipe is that you can set it down for a good long time and pick right back up later. Also any sugar will help. I usually drink a soda while smoking now and have a candy bar at the ready.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Funny enough, my initial goal was to grow old, fat, and happy. The onset of the type II diabetes said that eating in a way I'd get fat was a bad idea. So now I've settled on growing old, and being the crotchety curmudgeon. lol
Wear an onion on your belt.

I really like the Medico Sterling series, and when this one came up with supposedly minor cracks at the right price I jumped on it, figuring it could be a nice project. Did I fail to examine the photos properly or misread the listing? The shank is completely broken off from the bowl. That's more than a "crack".

Here's the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Med...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

“Condition is fair. Pipe base only no mouth piece.”

This is a vintage Medico pipe with sterling overlay. It's only the pipe base no mouth piece. The pipe is in fair condition. There are three cracks and a chip on the pipe. There is also a break in the overlay.The inside is pretty clean. I leave feedback once i receive it. Thanks.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And here's what I actually have:

proxy.php

If I do, I will take it up with the seller first.

I thought I added more text but I don't see it now. I received it assembled, as in the listing photos but the disconnected shank was obvious (not as in the photos). It didn't come apart like that until I tried to pose it for the photo.

Here's a potential message to the seller...please give me your thoughts on it:

Hello,

I received the vintage Medico and checked it, only to find its condition significantly worse than described or photographed. The description says "The pipe is in fair condition. There are three cracks and a chip on the pipe.". Cracks can be repaired. However, in reality there is a 100% break where the shank meets the bowl such that it cannot reasonably be repaired; the shank is not attached to the bowl at all. It can be pulled apart inside of the overlay just by holding it so that gravity does the job, and by holding it at the correct angle the bowl can fall right out of the overlay, followed separately by the shank.

Thank you,
Rick

Among other doubts, I feel like it's way too verbose and detailed.

I wouldn't say it's too verbose or detailed at all. I would want that level of detail if I was the seller, and a buyer had a complaint. I suppose something added as to what sort of things you'd like to see happen for resolution of the issue wouldn't hurt.

Seller was very understanding and readily refunded me in full. I left the best positive feedback I could.

In the meantime, this sub-cob-priced Kaywoodie Standard #14 score arrived...and it seems to have a seized mortise/tenon relationship. When it was difficult I should have put it in the freezer -- or outside where it's a lot colder than the freezer. Instead I forced it.
proxy.php

Is it safe to assume this has a threaded tenon like other Kaywoodies? I'll have to free it up and then heat the stem to re-attach it to the tenon securely now that I've loosened it a bit, though it does reattach reasonably securely anyway.

(Of course I left good feedback immediately for this one...that was entirely my fault.)

Seller was very understanding and readily refunded me in full. I left the best positive feedback I could.

In the meantime, this sub-cob-priced Kaywoodie Standard #14 score arrived...and it seems to have a seized mortise/tenon relationship. When it was difficult I should have put it in the freezer -- or outside where it's a lot colder than the freezer. Instead I forced it.
proxy.php

Is it safe to assume this has a threaded tenon like other Kaywoodies? I'll have to free it up and then heat the stem to re-attach it to the tenon securely now that I've loosened it a bit, though it does reattach reasonably securely anyway.

(Of course I left good feedback immediately for this one...that was entirely my fault.)

Glad the other situation worked itself out without hassle. I've only managed to damage one pipe, I broke the tenon off in the stem of the pipe trying to disassemble to clean. :( I know I can have it sent out to have a new stem made, I even kept the bowl in case I do, but the whole pipe was only like $35. Not sure what a new stem being made for it would run, but I can't imagine it's cheap enough to be worth doing.

I wouldn't hesitate to hang on to that stummel and what remains of the stem until such day as I feel confident that I could repair it or I find myself with a pipe whose stem matches well enough and can do double duty.

I wouldn't hesitate to hang on to that stummel and what remains of the stem until such day as I feel confident that I could repair it or I find myself with a pipe whose stem matches well enough and can do double duty.

The tenon is broke off in the stem, I can't get it out. I didn't save the broken stem though, but it's OK. I wish I'd gotten to smoke the pipe more than 3 or 4 times though. lol

The tenon is broke off in the stem, I can't get it out. I didn't save the broken stem though, but it's OK. I wish I'd gotten to smoke the pipe more than 3 or 4 times though. lol

There is actually a repair that could be done with common tools and no skills. An appropriately sized piece of tube that will have a friction-fit to the tenon can be used as a double-ended tenon to mate the broken-off tenon with the broken-off stem.

There's no reason the broken-off tenon should be too difficult to remove. Some time in the freezer followed by a drill bit or screw/bolt that fits tightly could probably remove it with little trouble. I bet google provides better ideas that have been tested.

Top Bottom