What's new

A Captain's Choice

So I received an early Christmas present from the captain and he generously gifted me samples of all five scents of his aftershave. Full disclaimer this is an unbiased review from a captain's choice noob. I have never smelled or tried any of his products before. Now I will be switching scents every shave and will be giving a review of each scent here is a picture of the goods!
$2015-12-08 22.00.17.jpg

So the first scent I decided to try was sandalwood I have never smelled any other sandalwood scent so I have nothing to compare the scent too. My first impression when splashing it onto my face was it was a very wood scent like a fresh tree after the initial scent fades it goes to a more earthy scent. Its a very deep clean scent that im enjoying. The face feel is excellent my face feels very soft and moisturized I am enjoying this aftershave very much. My choice for tomorrow will be north and will update once I shave tomorrow.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Subscribed! I'm finishing up a sample pack myself, so I look forward to your comments. In general, I find the face feel/healing effect excellent. The scents are outstanding, but not particularly strong, which I suppose makes them good for pairing with EdTs.

Your review of Sandalwood is spot on. Its a great combo with Proraso Red, BTW.

When are you taking on the Cat O'Nine Tails? Better make sure you've got a nice, mild razor for that shave. Can't wait!:bayrum2:

That is a heck of a gift from the Captain! I love his aftershaves. North and Bay Rum are my favorites and I think I am going to need to get more soon. I still have not tried them all however.

Subscribed! I'm finishing up a sample pack myself, so I look forward to your comments. In general, I find the face feel/healing effect excellent. The scents are outstanding, but not particularly strong, which I suppose makes them good for pairing with EdTs.

Your review of Sandalwood is spot on. Its a great combo with Proraso Red, BTW.

When are you taking on the Cat O'Nine Tails? Better make sure you've got a nice, mild razor for that shave. Can't wait!:bayrum2:
I have never tried Cat O' Nine Tails. Is the burn similar to that of Pinaud VIBR? How do the two compare?

Thanks john haha actually that cat o' nine tails is pretty intimidating but I think I can handle it nothing could be worse than when I would use AS splashes after my first couple of shaves with a DE while I was still learning technique I really felt the burn back then!

Looking forward to your impressions. I agree, CC feels great on my face. I use nothing else. BTW, Sandalwood is my favorite. One thing I appreciate about CC AS is that the scents are true, never masked by spices and the like. In fact, when I first tried North when it came out a couple of years back, I immediately identified a bush in my yard as juniper. The scents are identical. Enjoy!

I'm a huge fan of the good Captain's aftershaves. My favorites are the Lime and Sandalwood. I thought I hated the scent of sandalwood, when what I actually hated was the scent of trying-to-be-Sandalwood. I love the "warmth" of the scent of the Sandalwood variety. In fact, I loved this enough to kick the Captain's Bay Rum off the island when the bottle was empty and replaced it instead with Sandalwood.

No matter which scent I try, the face feel is always wonderful. You simply can't go wrong with his products in my opinion, and there's a scent in the line that works for almost everyone.

Nice gift! CC aftershaves are my fave. Bay Rum has been my choice but I'm really liking the North lately, it may top BR. And yes, the face feel after the drydown is excellent. Enjoy!

So for tonight's shave I tried North AS smelling it straight from the bottle the smell is very dark and complex. Once I splashed some on my face my initial impression is the smell of a very expensive leather out in the woods once it dried down im getting less woods and still smelling leather I am enjoying the scent but its really fleeting about 30 min later I'm not getting any scent from it at all anymore but my face is feeling great! For tomorrows shave I will be trying the bay rum AS. Please let me know your take of North in the meantime

I'll say this... since you started with CC Sandalwood.... all other sandalwoods will be lacking. It's really the best sandalwood I've ever smelled. Great Stuff.

North is by far my favorite of the CC line. Out of the bottle, to me, it just smells like Gin. Go figure, alcohol and juniper, duh. Once applied and the alcohol dries, the nice sweet juniper berry scent really develops. I can't get enough of it. I think I have 3 bottles of it right now.

North is one of the most unique scents out there, I love it! One member described it: " like a pirate walking through a Northern forest"

So for tonight's shave I tried North AS smelling it straight from the bottle the smell is very dark and complex. Once I splashed some on my face my initial impression is the smell of a very expensive leather out in the woods once it dried down im getting less woods and still smelling leather I am enjoying the scent but its really fleeting about 30 min later I'm not getting any scent from it at all anymore but my face is feeling great! For tomorrows shave I will be trying the bay rum AS. Please let me know your take of North in the meantime

I get a slightly sweet and strong juniper smell. I feel like I'm in the mountains breathing in the fresh air blowing through the pine firs as that's the closest I can describe the scent of juniper. It's manly & outdoorsy, and that's just fine by me.

So for todays shave I decided to go with the Captains Bay Rum AS. Now full disclosure I have never been a bay rum fan. Now when I put this aftershave onto my face I was essentially hit with the smell of bay, rum, and spices I was a little taken back with the initial scent of it but I also experienced very little alcohol burn which was nice now that it has calmed down a bit during the dry down it has the perfect balance of the smell of a bay and rum and a hint of spiciness kind of like Old Spice but if it was on a pirate that has been drinking rum all day (ok not that exaggerated :) ) now had this aftershave converted me to a bay rum fan not completely but does this scent give me a new respect for the scent yes I can see why many people are a fan of this one. Also worth mentioning the scent longevity of this aftershave is lasting longer than north and sandalwood for tomorrows shave I will be trying Captain's Choice Lime stay tuned

The first time I smelled CC Bay Rum I didn't like it at all. After the first time I used it I didn't want to ever let it go. If you've never smelled bay rum before (like me) the scent can be a little off at first. It's a strong scent that that lays five across your grill at first, but man, I can't get enough of it now.

So for tonight's shave I had the opportunity to try the Captains Choice Lime aftershave first impression of the scent when splashed on to the face was a very realistic smell of bitter like it's definitely not the smell of synthetic lime that we are so accustomed to smelling now a days it was actually as if I was smelling actual lime juice once it dried down I actually really enjoyed the scent. As far as alcohol burn I was actually afraid from the smell that it would feel like I was putting actual lime juice on my face so I was expecting some sting but there was none and a tiny tiny bit of alcohol sting very pleasant actually. The only downside to the scent is the fact that after about 5 minutes there is no more smell but that is very common for lime aftershaves. all in all I am very pleased with the lime aftershave. Also to note at first application it did feel a little tacky on my face but after a couple of minutes that feeling went away and now my face is smooth and dry and feeling very moisturized and toned. For my final review for tomorrow I will be trying the much anticipated cat o' nine tails so stay tuned and as always feel free to post your own experience with the lime aftershave or any other Captain's Choice products

Top Bottom