What's new

A Call for data on the Weck Sextoblade for the Wiki

They aren't the same as the Merkur corn blades. It takes a blade that looks like a smaller version of a normal SE blade. It had one in it, but I took it out to clean it up. I'll get a pic soon.

Here is the corn razor alongside a couple other blades for reference: GEM SE, Weck Sextoblade, Weck, and Weck Corn.

proxy.php

I have 2 weck hair shapers. The name 'hair shapers' makes me think its not for face shaving. But of course you can shave your face with these right?

Yes you can. With the one I had, you couldn't shave with the guard in place, but with the guard removed, it shaved like a smaller straight razor. I put Fromm blades in mine, the same blades as I put in my Sextoblades. They were the Stainless Steel ones, and just lasted and lasted and lasted!

I just picked up a Weck, and spent some time searching for info. Two things from the web:

NOS Weck Surgical in original case. The military stock number is clearly visible, you might be able to get date info from that. Also, note that this example has an Open-Comb style guard rather than the Safety Bar.

$NOSWeck.JPG

The second thing of interest is this orange version of your Green Iced Bantam. It also has the comb style guard. I suspect your Green Ice Bantam is all original, even the advert depicts the open-comb style guard.

$orangeweck.jpg

Essentially, it looks like Weck razors intended for shaving came in both styles, but the open comb Men's razor guards were not marked "Hair Shaper."

But there are two different styles of open comb guards. One you can shave with, like the one on your surgical prep razor. And one that you can't shave with, like the one on your Bantam and mine. The curve of the teeth on the guard make it so the blade cannot touch the skin.

I haven't seen that style yet, I'll have to look.

I still think looking at the guard plates (even though most here don't use them) might be a good way to track the design of the razors over the years. There's a great photo in the Double Edge threads that does exactly that with Gillette.

P.S. I don't own the razors pictured above, I only have one Weck. So far...

OK, I see what you're talking about. On the hair-shapers the teeth bend back towards the razor, on the shavers the teeth bend upwards and away from the blade. That would make a difference.

(I stole the above images from expired ebay auctions).

We've all seen the ad (below) that indicates that the Bantam is meant for shaving. However that Bantam came with a guard like the hair shapers, which cannot be used for shaving. Could the wrong guard have been put on that razor at some point? Absolutely, that my guess. Otherwise I have no idea why i would have that guard on it. Unless later on, in the life of the Bantam, its purpose changed, and it was marketed as a hair shaper. Maybe that's why the hair shapers now are th same size as the Bantam. Any other guesses?
proxy.php

I'm a big Durham Duplex fan just getting into these Wecks and have one Bantam so far. I am on the lookout for a good Medical example. I also have a Fromm coming ...

Now, regarding the open comb - the Bantam that I have does indeed have a guard much like this picture and much like the hair shapers, but there is one key difference ... I think: the comb bends out on the Bantam, in on the hair shapers. On the hair shapers, the curve covers the blade, on my bantam the comb flows away giving a blade reveal like one half of a Durham Duplex.

These really are nice razors and I was very surprised with my first shave last night.

Is it fair to say that the Medical type has that straight guard?

Oh, and kudos to you TheVez2 for your excellent collection!

Found this and thought folks might find it intetesting. 04/1918.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1415998655625.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1415998655625.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 78
So, looking at these, it appears that the styles are not based upon the packaging and not the shavette, no? Perhaps the physical differences in the razoes are caused by design changes over time?

So, looking at these, it appears that the styles are not based upon the packaging and not the shavette, no? Perhaps the physical differences in the razoes are caused by design changes over time?
Not sure what you're getting at here.

Top Bottom