What's new

A brush scuttle provides the best of both worlds

I prefer to face lather over bowl lathering. I also like warm lather, hence my dilemma. In exploring the idea of bowl lathering I bought the heavyweight copper Captain’s Choice lather bowl in an effort to give bowl lathering a real good try but for me it is more enjoyable to lather my face and not the bowl and I reverted to face lathering most of the time save a few weekends and holidays.

Then in a scuttle forum @Chevyguy referred to the Dirty Bird brush scuttle and I was intrigued. I spoke to Julie at Dirty Bird and learned more and was provided with different color choices. While I was having a custom made brush scuttle I went all in and purchased a matching liquid soap dispenser. The soap dispenser was customized for me to be made without the handle. Even if the scuttle was not to my liking, I would have something to show for this investment.

Everything arrived on Saturday after my shave and had to wait until Sunday for the inaugural use. After two uses, I’m thrilled with the scruttle. It keeps my brush warm for the second and third passes (actually warmer than the first pass when the brush cools during loading). I now have exactly what I was looking for. Face lathering warm lather was my goal and it has been achieved..

Anyone else with similar preferences should certainly investigate the idea of a brush scuttle.
9B9311C9-5569-43FD-B312-FD98BFB92742.jpeg

Congratulations!! Great when things just work out!! :a29: :a29:
Thanks @BigJ I think I’m at the refinement stage rather than the building stage. Consumables need to be replaced, brushes may ultimately wear out or a 5 to 7 day drying cycle may be insufficient in my humid climate, but overall if I do nothing other than replace I can be happy.

That all being said, practicality in the hobby is not really important to me. I could easily free up counter space by soaking my brush in the inner bowl of the scuttle and eliminate using my Grandfather’s 100 year old mug but using a piece of my heritage is more important than 4 or 5 inches of counter space.

Those are sharp looking pieces! I use a PAA ceramic scuttle every morning, but only put hot water in it during the winter. After seeing your brush scuttle I might need to reconsider the warm brush approach.

I lather up every day using my Q-Shave scuttle, and either my Gray Dog or Omega 11126 brushes. The Q-Shave scuttle is a fantastic product!

I never used to bowl lather but recent months I've done this every day. I then continue on my face with the superb lather created in the bowl. The lather ,when ready to shave is really superior to just face lathering.

I use my scuttle everyday and I do love it. But it's a regular scuttle and so it is less effective when I face lather. I would consider getting a brush scuttle too but I face lather infrequently and my bathroom counter is already maxed out with all of my shaving paraphernalia. I am glad the brush scuttle is working out for you. Nice warm lather on your beard not only feels good but I think it helps in the beard softening process.

Top Bottom