What's new

A brush like Semogue BC Cerda?

Unfortunately, I have some bad news. The BC Cerda is perhaps the best face lathering boar brush on the planet. The BB boar will be really good, but probably won't equal your Cerda.
Since the Semogue 2013 Barbear Classico Cerda has been long sold-out, is there any other Semogue brush with a performance close to the former, for a face lathering use?

Note: I ask about Semogue but it could be another manufacturer, as long as it is not a discontinued item.

Depends how handy you are. I bought a Semogue 1305, exact same knot as the Barbear Classico Cerda (premium 90% tops), but at a loft of 55mm instead of the Cerda's 50mm. I took the knot out of the 1305, bought a $6 resin handle from Whipped Dog, and drilled it deeper so the knot will have a 50mm loft. All I have left to do is glue the knot into the new handle. I'll be posting pictures and details in a few days.

Note: I say 1305, but I actually bought an Italian Barber 2012 LE, which is a 1305 without the ghastly dye job to make it look like a badger.

The closest to physical specs are the Semogue 610, 620, and 1470 brushes with a 21mm/22mm knot size and 50mm loft. Unfortunately, they each have "different" spec bristles compared to the Cerda. With that said, the biggest difference in feel that I have experienced is between the banded and un-banded bristles. Personally, I would recommend you check out the 620 for something comparable to the Cerda.

The closest to physical specs are the Semogue 610, 620, and 1470 brushes with a 21mm/22mm knot size and 50mm loft. Unfortunately, they each have "different" spec bristles compared to the Cerda. With that said, the biggest difference in feel that I have experienced is between the banded and un-banded bristles. Personally, I would recommend you check out the 620 for something comparable to the Cerda.
Thanks for the feedback! The Semogue 620 looks tempting. My only concern is the handle, is it enjoyable and convenient to hold?

The Extra 75% tops of the 620 will be much stiffer and not as soft as the Cerda. The 610s Best 90% tops will be closer, but still not as soft as the Premium 90% tops of the Cerda.

From Semogue I've only used the 610, 620, 208, 830 & the SOC, of these I would put the 610 as the closest.

It's a superb brush!

The Extra 75% tops of the 620 will be much stiffer and not as soft as the Cerda. The 610s Best 90% tops will be closer, but still not as soft as the Premium 90% tops of the Cerda.

From Semogue I've only used the 610, 620, 208, 830 & the SOC, of these I would put the 610 as the closest.

another vote for the 610, it was quite soft right out of the box.

I concur with the above. Out of the current production models, I believe that the 610 would be the closest to the Cerda. However, as noted, the hair grade is not the same, and the Cerda is denser. If I'm not mistaken, Vintage Scent is coming out with some new LEs/SEs, soon, so there may be something like the Cerda on the horizon.

I thought Cerda had "Special" hairs not "Premium".

From Vintage Scent:

Semogue 2013 Barbear Classico "Cerda" Limited Edition

$27.47 VAT Free

The Semogue 2013 Barbear Classico Limited Edition brush is a limited batch produced to the gentlemen at the Portuguese wet-shaving forum "Barbear Classico" and now it's available to everywhere.

The brushes are available in 3 distinct knots - Boar, Mixed and Badger. They all have the same beautiful cherrywood handle with the logo of the forum and the model on the front and the the number, the Semogue logo and the year on the base.

The knot has a 22mm diameter and 50mm height and it's well-packed. The handle is 50mm tall.

This model has "Cerda" engraved on the handle which means "Boar" in Portuguese.
The bristles used are Premium 90 tops, the same ones as the iconic 1305, but in a shorter loft to enhance its backbone.

Plenty of lucky gentlemen already began using these exclusive brushes, you can read their opinions and look at their pictures in this article at The Shave Nook.

830 should be about as close as you're gonna get

I think the Cerda has much better backbone than the 830. I find my 830 to be floppy, and it isn't even broken in yet. They do have the same grade hair, so I see your point, but the lower loft and higher density of the Cerda make a big difference, IMO, which is why I still think that the 610 would be the closest (despite the slight difference in hair grade).

Thanks for the feedback! The Semogue 620 looks tempting. My only concern is the handle, is it enjoyable and convenient to hold?

It is not the most ergonomic handle, but it works fine. Mostly depends on how you like to hold the brush. Slippery if you get some soap on it, and not well suited for bowl lathering.

Wow, thanks for all the feedbacks!

Does the dye that makes the boar hair look like badger hair change anything to the lathering quality?

Last edited:
You could always buy the 1305 and have the knot cut out and put in another handle with a lower loft.

I have a SOC with that treatment and it is far better than the original. The shorter OC and the BC Cerda are my two most used brushes.

Hey... don't loose the faith on finding the BC Cerda. I picked one up last week on B/S/T here on the forum. Right place and right time.
Good luck!

You could always buy the 1305 and have the knot cut out and put in another handle with a lower loft.
That's what I did just this week. I picked an Italian Barber LE 2012 which is a 1305 without the dyed bristles. Steamed out the knot, and installed it in a WD 22mm octagonal handle that I drilled 8mm deeper so I ended with a 50mm loft. Glue still setting so I haven't tried it yet.

Top Bottom