What's new

A Broken Glass

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Saw this tonight in post on Facebook from "Colin's Friends" a page started by Colin's mom a couple of years ago when she realized that her son was having a hard time "fitting in" (my words).
It seemed like something worth remembering.

Excerpted from a Facebook post in Colin's Friends:
[/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Last night, Colin broke a glass. Our last glass. Colin has been afraid of breakable items his whole life, he doesn't like to touch things made of glass, and panics if Ella does, too. But he's recently been given the task of washing dishes, and he's learning to handle breakable things. He's been doing well, and then he breaks the last glass. He was very upset. His dad brought home a new four pack of glasses, after stopping at the store on the way home from work, but the damage[/FONT] was done, Colin had done the thing he was always afraid of and broken something beyond repair. So, this morning I took Colin into the kitchen, and took one glass out of the new box, I handed it to him and said "There, a replacement glass. And next time one breaks, we've got three more. And when those break, we'll get more." He needed to know that breaking that glass wasn't the end. There was more. And it occurred to me that life is like that, too. There have been so many times in my life when I though I'd made a serious mistake, or something had completely broken, and what happened instead is that a new path I'd never considered opened up. There is never a "last glass", only more opportunities we hadn't thought of. I hope I remember that next time I feel like I'm at the end of something, there's always more glasses."

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks, for sharing, Connie. I hadn't heard of Colin's Friends until just now. It sounds like a nice page to subscribe to.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Thanks, for sharing, Connie. I hadn't heard of Colin's Friends until just now. It sounds like a nice page to subscribe to.

The mom started the page to try and surprise Colin with a bunch of birthday wishes for his 11th birthday when she realized that he was friendless and bullied at school. The page ended up going viral with over 2 million likes, thousand upon thousand of birthday cards, and an appearance & surprise party on GMA. With so many people following, she has kept the page going every since.

They live in Kalamazoo, so they're almost our neighbors. :001_tongu

Top Bottom