What's new

A Brit asking you guys whats the best American shave cream?

Funny because i like the Edwin JAgger shaving soap pucks which is UK

I guess we always want something different

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
the best is, of course, Castle Forbes. As is our custom, we outsourced the actual making of the cream to another country - Scotland.

There are any number of soaps these days, but the U.S. does not seem to be long on creams, at least from artisans.
There are some from chains. Folks seem to like The Body Shop Maca Root pretty well, but opinion is much more split on Kiehl's Lite Flite.

We also have quite a few brushless products. If you don't have a problem with that genre (and I don't), Malin + Goetz is very good and I am enjoying one called H2O+ Marine.

Last edited:
There are any number of soaps these days, but the U.S. does not seem to be long on creams, at least from artisans.
There are some from chains. Folks seem to like The Body Shop Maca Root pretty well, but opinion is much more split on Kiehl's Lite Flite.

We also have quite a few brushless products. If you don't have a problem with that genre (and I don't), Malin + Goetz is very good and I am enjoying one called H2O+ Marine.

I quite like the Maca root shave cream, I heard about that on here.The Body shop is a UK company that started just over 20 years ago, didn't know you had them in the US.

regarding brushless, I use to use "King of shaves" shave gel, always thought that was American?

Just got this off of Wikipedia, I was sort of right, but it was your idea. I stand corrected

In 1970, Anita Roddick (then Anita Perilli) visited "The Body Shop" housed in a car repairs and garage in Berkeley, California selling naturally-scented soaps and lotions. The shop run by Peggy Short and Jane Saunders used natural ingredients, and helped to employ and train immigrant women. Six years later, in 1976, Roddick opened a similar shop in the UK, using the same business name, colour scheme, and cosmetic lines. In 1987, Roddick offered Short and Saunders USD 3.5 million to change their shop's name to Body Time. By 1992 the rename was completed.[3][4][5] From its first launch in the UK in 1976, The Body Shop experienced rapid growth, expanding at a rate of 50 percent annually.

I'd forgotten about The Body Shop's British origins! US inspiration is one thing, but I think you're right, Jay.

I hadn't followed its corporate history either. It became part of the L'Oréal group and delisted from the London Stock Exchange in 2006.
Kiehl's is also owned by L'Oréal...as is Baxter of California.

An old old girlfriend of mine worked there as a shop girl not long after it opened, prob about 94.

The reason I asked the original question, is that I've been to the states quite a bit, most recently last year in NY for the tunnel to towers run. It's always nice to buy a product from a place that's close to your heart.

While I am now considered an American (came from England to here when I was 17) I always kept true to products back Home that started with me, when I myself began shaving at 12yrs of age. Taylor of Old Bond st, Dr harris, and TF&H, all products I still use til this day 16yrs later. When it comes to American products, I will say, the only american cream I have ever liked was the Art of shaving sandal wood cream.

Top Bottom