What's new

A Brief Walk On The Dark Side

I'll begin this by declaring I truly believe that whatever particular set up gives you your best shave is the way to go; if your favorite paring knife and Arko get you there then more power to ya.

I started traditional shaving because my son took me for a walk one Christmas morning and we stopped in front of a rabbit hole. I didn't know I was looking at one at the time. He gestured toward the interior saying "It's way less expensive than buy those cartridges." He showed me the brush he was using and had a couple soaps for me to sniff--then pretty much shoved me into the rabbit hole. Okay, fine, I willingly walked in. We all know how the story goes.

This last week I had to travel to Atlanta for business--only a couple of days, so I was packing light enough to be able to carry the bag on the plane, which meant no DE blades. Color me unamused.

Suck it up and pack your old Harry's razor, I told myself. I found some measure of comfort in knowing I could still take a brush and my new tub of green Proraso with me. So, off I went.

Took a nice, long, very warm shower. Loaded my brush and face lathered (a nice lather too). Still not excited about going Red-ski (two steps back, one forward, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?) I picked up the Harry's--with a brand spanking new cartridge on it, mind you--and began to shave.

First thing I missed was hearing the blade go through the whiskers. I will offer up one hearty positive: was nice to be able to use the single blade at the top to effectively and fully get directly under the nose. So, I finished the first pass and rinsed figuring that one pass should be sufficient with a multi-blade cartridge . . . it had been for many, many (sad) years before.

How the hell did I find this result satisfactory all those years? No, this would not do. Another pseudo XTG pass would be needed.

Didn't quite go ATG, didn't go fully XTG. Wasn't quite sure how my skin would handle my usual passes, so I tried to find a kind of happy medium.

The end result? I can say with certainty it was, by definition, a shave. It was not a wholly satisfactory one, however. Sure, it reduced the stubble, but left me feeling like I'd shaved three hours prior. An SAS I suppose, but I much prefer at least a DFS and clearly the cartridge isn't going to get me there no matter how much I try.

I haven't shaved with a cart since I began DE shaving back in January. I remember when I first started I thought the results seemed kind of similar, and in fact they probably were . . . at first. But now I can easily discern the difference between the two. I am all the more convinced DE (or straight, which I haven't done) shaving is the proper path to shaving enlightenment. Much closer with a far more satisfactory, comfortable result.

Thank goodness I only had to do it twice.

Sorry man!

I am a ‘one bag’ traveler when working, so I know the feeling (and it is no fun).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tough stuff right there. I have not yet had to fly with just a carry on, and dread the day I have to!

I can’t do it. If we take off for Vegas for the weekend or Laguna Beach for a week I just won’t shave.

Makes the one when I get home even better lol

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Have to fly a lot for business and am loathe to check bags.

There are certain hotels I stay at regularly. They are more than willing to let me send a couple of blades the week or so before my stay, which they keep for me until I check in.

I've also been known to hunt down a local store to grab a tuck for my stay. ;)

If I can't arrange to send a couple of blades in advance, I travel with my Gillette Atra. Two blades in a cartridge. Not the same as a good DE razor but better than the >2 blade cart razors I've tried.

YMMV.

Like you, I too insist on carrying on my bags, especially when on business since I would have no stomach for dealing with a lost bag when I should be helping clients. That means I bring my razor of choice for something like 35 years, a Mach 3. And I remember my reaction to going back to shaving with that thing after a little time with double edge razors was like yours. How could I have been happy shaving with that thing all that time? I will say that shaving with a double edge did produce some benefits when using a cart. First, I'm using far better shaving creams and soaps than the canned foamin' goo. Add to that all the post shave stuff. But most importantly, was applying the techniques learned. I used to only shave WTG and then what I thought was ATG without relathering. Now I'm doing three separate passes and I can get a much better result with the cart because of that. But not as good as a double edge. Your story was very enjoyable to read. And well written as well.

I get pretty good shaves from disposables or carts if I don't have more than 3 days growth. No major clogging happens. Only negative is the general feeling of plasticky, flimsy, cheap, bleh... you know what I mean. :laugh:

Your story was very enjoyable to read. And well written as well.

Thank you very much MntnMan62!

And Stein, you are so right! I had some good shaves in Italy, and a couple times did actually wait a couple irritating days before returning home for another blessed shave :LMS My son (whom I stayed with as he's stationed there) had plenty of blade and soap options--but flying to Greece then over to Santorini should have been a warning to heed.

I borrowed a Dollar Shave Club razor he had squirreled away, mostly because I like to stay clean shaven. In my humble estimation the DSC cartridge was exponentially worse than any I have tried before. One lousy shave was all it took on the first morning in Athens. A full day traipsing around Athens and the acropolis then another two days in Santorini . . . I was so ready for a shave when we got back to Naples.

When I got home (on US soil) from that trip it was pretty darn nice to once again take in my many soap and brush options in my humble den.

Sorry about your experience but it does sound like you learned an important lesson.

I had a similar experience when we lost power last year and I shavdbwith a cartridge at my YMCA - that still had power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with cartridge razors parallels the OP. I always thought I was getting a decent shave until I started exploring the world of DE razors and straight razors. I always have a cartridge razor available in case I am in a big hurry and need to shave in the shower. Fortunately, that does not happen often. I get a socially acceptable shave doing that, but I cannot get a really close, comfortable shave.

The Gillette Guard with its single blade cartridge isn't as good as a DE or SE razor, but its simplicity means the feel of using it isn't too dissimilar, and it can give a very decent two-pass shave. Also, it's very cheap.

I still have a Trac II razor and I use it to defuzz the dome. I just ordered a vintage Schick Super II handle to replace the Col. Conk I have been using. If you have to go cartridge, the go vintage cartridge.

I still have a Trac II razor and I use it to defuzz the dome. I just ordered a vintage Schick Super II handle to replace the Col. Conk I have been using. If you have to go cartridge, the go vintage cartridge.

Use Personna Trac II's and Col. Conk as well for my head. Occasionally when in a rush I use it on my face too. Not a great shave but will get me through.

When I travel via air and need only a carry on bag, I pack a Gillette 3 and a travel size can of Barbasol.
Nowhere near what I experience at home, but still an acceptable comfortable shave in my hotel room.
And ya' know, it's kind of funny when I read these type of threads here on B&B. For me, our wonderful
shaving hobby is something I truly enjoy when I'm at home with all "my shaving stuff." As with many
incredibly enjoyable hobbies, you "can't always take it with you" when you travel away from home.
For example, when I'm home I enjoy my vinyl LP's, high end Rega turntable, tube amplifier and pre-amp,
and glorious Revel speakers. When I travel, the music is with my iPad (or iPhone) with my AirPods. And
that's okay. Also, when I'm home, my photography is with my Nikon D500 and my bag of six great
Nikkor DX lenses. But when I travel, it's limited to my fabulous D5600 & DX 18 - 140 zoom. And that's okay !
So, my dear B&B friends, my point is this .... vacation traveling should be a "break" from everyday life.
Relax, explore, be fascinated by new adventures, love your spouse, smell the roses, and have fun !
Don't worry about shaving. Trust me, .... your face will forgive you.

Last edited:
I just got back from a week's travel (carry-on only). I used a Bic Flex 5 disposable and a travel size Harry's gel because I forgot to pack my shaving gear. The Bic shaved predictably well based on my experience with the cartridge version of the razor, but the real surprise this trip was the Harry's gel. I haven't used a canned product in at least a couple of years and I found it to be excellent. The lather was nice and slick, rinsed clean, and didn't gum up the razor. I'm not completely sold on the scent (not sure how to describe it), but my wife loved it. Pretty good trip from a shaving perspective.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just got back from a week's travel (carry-on only). I used a Bic Flex 5 disposable and a travel size Harry's gel because I forgot to pack my shaving gear. The Bic shaved predictably well based on my experience with the cartridge version of the razor, but the real surprise this trip was the Harry's gel. I haven't used a canned product in at least a couple of years and I found it to be excellent. The lather was nice and slick, rinsed clean, and didn't gum up the razor. I'm not completely sold on the scent (not sure how to describe it), but my wife loved it. Pretty good trip from a shaving perspective.
Thanks for the Harry's gel review.

When I travel via air and need only a carry on bag, I pack a Gillette 3 and a travel size can of Barbasol.
Nowhere near what I experience at home, but still an acceptable comfortable shave in my hotel room.
And ya' know, it's kind of funny when I read these type of threads here on B&B. For me, our wonderful
shaving hobby is something I truly enjoy when I'm at home with all "my shaving stuff." As with many
incredibly enjoyable hobbies, you "can't always take it with you" when you travel away from home.
So, my dear B&B friends, my point is this .... vacation traveling should be a "break" from everyday life.
Relax, explore, be fascinated by new adventures, love your spouse, smell the roses, and have fun !
Don't worry about shaving. Trust me, .... your face will forgive you.

As they say "There is no place like home". But getting away every now and then is nice. I used to travel in my job about 10 days a month; I am glad I do not have to do that any more.

I also think having painstakingly learnt the zero pressure DE mantra, when we have to go back to a cart, we don't use the necessary pressure for them to perform to their best.

I thought about that as well. I can't help but wonder if that's why I did the second passes--something I never did as a daily cart user. As others have alluded, the sub-par shaves made coming home all the more pleasing. I relished being able to stand in front of my own mirror and use whatever hardware and software I wanted.

Top Bottom