What's new

A Bourbon Shortage? Say It Ain't so!

This is all self-induced just like the ammo shortage of a couple years ago, the effects of which still linger in .22LR. If everybody will not panic and buy what they need, prices will come back down. Yes, there has been a genuine increase in demand, but not the level that hoarders have taken it to. The distilleries are only going to ramp up production to what they believe are sustainable levels, pricing will take care of the rest. FWIW, my price range is the Maker's Mark, Jack #7 and occasionally, Jack SB. Those prices have risen by about 40% in the last 4 years or so.

The big question is, how much did you pay for it? I was on a business trip this week to MA. I wondered into a large well stocked liquor store and they had Old Rip Van Winkle 10-$350, Van Winkle 12-$599.99, PVW 15-$1,100, PVW 20-$1,900. I picked up a bottle of BTAC Thomas H Handy Rye for $225.00.

I'm sorry, but those prices are insane. I paid $150 for Pappy 15 last year and I told my liquor store guy that was the last. I can buy three or four really nice bottles of bourbon for what I paid for that Pappy. Let someone else be "lucky" enough to get it (if you can call it that luck).

This is all self-induced just like the ammo shortage of a couple years ago, the effects of which still linger in .22LR. If everybody will not panic and buy what they need, prices will come back down. Yes, there has been a genuine increase in demand, but not the level that hoarders have taken it to. The distilleries are only going to ramp up production to what they believe are sustainable levels, pricing will take care of the rest. FWIW, my price range is the Maker's Mark, Jack #7 and occasionally, Jack SB. Those prices have risen by about 40% in the last 4 years or so.

The ammo shortage that we experienced is a perfect analogy. That's exactly what we're experiencing now with bourbon.

I'm sorry, but those prices are insane. I paid $150 for Pappy 15 last year and I told my liquor store guy that was the last. I can buy three or four really nice bottles of bourbon for what I paid for that Pappy. Let someone else be "lucky" enough to get it (if you can call it that luck).

You're absolutely right those prices are more than ridiculous. The problem is people are paying that price. Mainly collectors and resellers. It all depends how bad you want the bottle. I wanted a bottle of the George T Stagg and Thomas H Handy so I searched around until I found what I considered to be palatable. The crazy thing is despite the high prices I paid to have them in my collection I have had people offer me more than I paid. I know many people who get first dibs on Pappy Van Winkle and the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection and I can say that they all paid over suggested retail price for them and that's directly from the liquor store they have a relationship with.

how can you sell old whisky if you sell all your young whisky buffalo trace had to hold on to their weller line (30 a bottle) to get 12-15yr old L.weller at(100 a bottle)

Top Bottom