What's new

A better Burr Grinder?

The key is patience. I had a saved search on the MDF for under three months and landed one for $50. Good things come to those who wait. (I also picked up a Zass for $25.)
Were you at all concerned that the vendor might've used it to grind shudder flavoured beans? :eek:

Were you at all concerned that the vendor might've used it to grind shudder flavoured beans? :eek:

If you grind some rice or coarse salt through it, it will be clean as new (well, almost).

I do this with my grinder periodically as a routine maintenance kind of thing.

I have read that the hand crank, while charming, require quite a bit of time to grind the coffee. Ten minutes for multiple cups? Is this true?

It takes me less than a minute of hand grinding on the finest setting of my zass to grind a double shot of espresso. Haven't used it for the french press yet, but I will soon. I can't imagine it taking 10 minutes to grind unless you're trying to do a half pound of beans at a time.

It takes me less than a minute of hand grinding on the finest setting of my zass to grind a double shot of espresso. Haven't used it for the french press yet, but I will soon. I can't imagine it taking 10 minutes to grind unless you're trying to do a half pound of beans at a time.

Like I said - 4 - 5 minutes for 6 - 7 cups of drip and likely 3 - 4 minutes for 6 - 7 cups of French press.

If you want to grind enough drip coffee for 12 cups, you will be pushing 10 minutes of cranking.

Question here, hope it’s not hijacking. I have noticed that a lot of the burr grinders have a large storage capacity. I only make one or two cups at a time in a french press. On top of that, I only do so two days a week at most. I don’t want beans sitting on the counter in a non airtight storage bin for over a week at a time.
Is this concern justified? If yes…where can I find a smaller/small capacity buirr grinder?
If no, why not? Is the whole “air and light are your enemies” thing untrue?

Question here, hope it’s not hijacking. I have noticed that a lot of the burr grinders have a large storage capacity. I only make one or two cups at a time in a french press. On top of that, I only do so two days a week at most. I don’t want beans sitting on the counter in a non airtight storage bin for over a week at a time.
Is this concern justified? If yes…where can I find a smaller/small capacity buirr grinder?

If by large storage capacity, you mean the hopper on top that holds the whole beans. Its not a problem. I just put in what ever amount I'm going to use at that moment and grind away. I wouldn't even think about filling the hopper up to the top.

Grind what you need, when you need it. :001_smile

If by large storage capacity, you mean the hopper on top that holds the whole beans. Its not a problem. I just put in what ever amount I'm going to use at that moment and grind away. I wouldn't even think about filling the hopper up to the top.

That is exactly what I meant. You know, I should have thought that through a touch more. You always see the grinders advertised completely full...there is no real need to do that. Duh.

Thanks!

If you grind some rice or coarse salt through it, it will be clean as new (well, almost).

Which is precisely what I did. Owners of MDFs and Zasses, though, tend not to be flavoured-bean consumers, so I wasn't overly-worried.

I do this with my grinder periodically as a routine maintenance kind of thing.

Natch. And as an aside, if you brush it well beforehand and discard the first couple of tbsp of rice meal, the rest makes great cream-of-rice hot cereal.

Top Bottom