What's new

A better Burr Grinder?

proxy.php

Just bought this Breville BCG450XL conical burr grinder, works great for french press, drip and moka pot coffe. I'm really impressed with this grinder and it doesn't cost a fortune, retails around $99 and can be modified for a finer espresso grind.

David,

I've used the Braun KMM30. Only about $30. Has 14 settings all the way down to espresso. Also used Krups, La Pavoni, and Saeco grinders. All w/i the $50ish price range and they worked fine. I now use a Automaitic and don't use a separate grinder. It was fun and I wish you good luck in your quest for a great espress.

Buona fortuna,
Lee

The Braun is about an order of magnitude below the Capresso he's looking to upgrade. The Capresso and Solis Maestro occupy the "$100" niche fairly well. The Gaggia MDF is next up, but can be had for under a hundred if you look. The Rocky and company are the next up from there.

Braun, B&D, Cuisinart, Bodum, Breville (even though it's a hundred bucks), etc. all occupy the very low end of the burr grinder range. They're all wildly inconsistent in grind size even compared to the Capresso, so they won't be anything like what he's looking for.

Static electricity has been my main complaint against burr grinders. I had a Solis Maestro that kept almost as much grounds in the holder as poured out. Any models better than others?

...Ray

Static electricity has been my main complaint against burr grinders. I had a Solis Maestro that kept almost as much grounds in the holder as poured out. Any models better than others?

Sure: any model without plastic parts and electric components!

Search eBay for "coffee grinders", and pick-up a hand-crank model, with a cast-iron conical-burr and wooden body.

Go for a Zassenhaus, or other vintage name-brand grinder (the Zass will be your best bet, though). Don't even bother with the "vintage look" kind of things that are really meant as knicknacks rather than functional pieces of equipment.

Wow, I had that exact same Capresso! It was okaaay until my girlfriend at the time ran some flavored beans through it. It was never the same again.

I upgraded to a Solis Maestro years ago and have been really happy with it.

...Ray

I've found that when I use fresh roasted beans static is not a problem, guess there's still enough moisture in them. When I'm grinding starbucks beans (emergencies only, I swear) there is considerable static cling. I have the older Maestro. I've heard that the thick metal bases on the newer models helps reduce static.

Go for a Zassenhaus, or other vintage name-brand grinder (the Zass will be your best bet, though). Don't even bother with the "vintage look" kind of things that are really meant as knicknacks rather than functional pieces of equipment.

I have read that the hand crank, while charming, require quite a bit of time to grind the coffee. Ten minutes for multiple cups? Is this true?

Yes, entirely true. They are to coffee what a scuttle is to wet-shaving. When you're in a hurry, you face-lather, even though you have such a nice scuttle sitting there waiting to be used.

Search eBay for "coffee grinders", and pick-up a hand-crank model, with a cast-iron conical-burr and wooden body.
Nah...Hand-crank is out for me. I just can't go that far.

...Ray

I've found that when I use fresh roasted beans static is not a problem, guess there's still enough moisture in them. When I'm grinding starbucks beans (emergencies only, I swear) there is considerable static cling. I have the older Maestro. I've heard that the thick metal bases on the newer models helps reduce static.
I was using fresh roasted beans but the static was huge. It was an older model Maestro so I'll look into the newer edition. I use a one cup pour over filter so a Mr. Coffee blade grinder has been working for me.

...Ray

I was using fresh roasted beans but the static was huge. It was an older model Maestro so I'll look into the newer edition. I use a one cup pour over filter so a Mr. Coffee blade grinder has been working for me.

...Ray

I have the Maestro Plus from about 2 years ago and it works pretty good. Pretty much no static. (I'm not terribly impressed by the grind consistancy though.) DJ had one of the more recent models and thought it quite poor.

I have a Solis Maestro grinder that I have been using for several years that I like a lot. I've never had any problems with static but YMMV. It has almost infinite grind adjustment which is needed if you decide to do a french press one day and then do a drip the next. I use it with a Gaggia classic espresso maker which has been great as well.

If you get something, do yourself a favor and go doser-less. I have a Gaggia MDF sitting in the garage that was a major pain. The grinding was fine and allowed for a lot of adjustment but the doser was the problem. I like to grind my beans fresh for the day and doser grinders need a full hopper to deliver a consistent amount of coffee. So you will always have something in the hopper and a lot of times you will dispense more coffee than you want.

Rancilio doserless is another grinder worth looking at. Best of luck!

Hmmm. I've been looking, but nothing close to under $100. $150 seems to be the eBay result. Any suggestions as to where else I ought to look?

The key is patience. I had a saved search on the MDF for under three months and landed one for $50. Good things come to those who wait. (I also picked up a Zass for $25.)

I have read that the hand crank, while charming, require quite a bit of time to grind the coffee. Ten minutes for multiple cups? Is this true?

I just got a Zassenhaus - I've only used it for a couple of days, but here's my take:

1) Does a good job - the grind is pretty even (good enough for me any how).

2) The grind range is from very coarse to Turkish coffee fine.

3) The finer the grind, the longer the grind time - it takes me 4 - 5 minutes to grind enough coffee for 6 - 7 cups. I suspect I could grind enough for 6 - 7 cups of french press in about 3 - 4 minutes.

4) The grinding mechanism is very smooth and uses very little effort - if you get a hand grinder, get the knee models (designed to be used on a counter top or sitting with the grinder held between your legs/knees) or the Lima (modern steel and acrylicy cylinder), which can be held in a variety of positions (I've been grinding my coffee on the couch while watching the morning news).

A hand grinder isn't for everyone - the ONLY reason I got one is because I want freshly-ground coffee in the morning (as opposed to grinding it the night before) and have a baby in the house. I will use my electric grinder for when guests are over or whenever I want to make more than 6 - 7 cups of coffee.

My $0.02 FWIW.

Top Bottom