What's new

A Bakker's Dozen

PA again today . . . not sure if it's just the ease with which it smokes, or codgers in general for that matter, or maybe it's that I am still in the honeymoon phase with my Savinelli, but I seem to be reaching for the OTC Blends a fair bit lately, when I had "planned" to be sussing out my Burley Blend preferences. Ah well . . . the smokes are smooth, the taste is fine, so who am I to complain?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
PA again today . . . not sure if it's just the ease with which it smokes, or codgers in general for that matter, or maybe it's that I am still in the honeymoon phase with my Savinelli, but I seem to be reaching for the OTC Blends a fair bit lately, when I had "planned" to be sussing out my Burley Blend preferences. Ah well . . . the smokes are smooth, the taste is fine, so who am I to complain?
“Codger Blend” should rightly be understood as an accolade and not as a denunciation of a tobacco. Did you know PA was first blended in 1856? Walnut in mid 19th century and Half and Half and Velvet in early 20th century and Sir Walter Raleigh in 1927. Carter Hall is a relative newcomer in 1953. These are a few that are still available in stores. They didn’t make it so long because they were inferior in some way. They survived all these years because they are good and well loved and I do love them. For me, they are the essence of a good dependable smoke and smoke them I do - a lot!

Oh, I completely agree. The wife asked me, when she saw the tin of Presbyterian, what made me buy it. So I told her what I knew . . . it's the only blend the company makes, and it's been around for about a century. You have to be doing something right, if you can survive on a single product line for that long.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well, I’m having a generous bowl of CH with a pint of strong coffee in the garage this morning as I continue my journey with “The Lord of the Rings”. It is very windy today and the outside is off limits so I must sit among the tools and miscellaneous junk while my mind wanders within Middle Earth.

Well, I’m having a generous bowl of CH with a pint of strong coffee in the garage this morning as I continue my journey with “The Lord of the Rings”. It is very windy today and the outside is off limits so I must sit among the tools and miscellaneous junk while my mind wanders within Middle Earth.
It won't matter where your body is once you crack the spine on a Tolkien (or Jack London) novel. Before your done the first page, your transported to somewhere else. And CH is a pretty good guide along the way.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It won't matter where your body is once you crack the spine on a Tolkien (or Jack London) novel. Before your done the first page, your transported to somewhere else. And CH is a pretty good guide along the way.

I'm currently wading through this one

IMG_20201029_173724_edit.jpg

It's a biggun! 1408 pages!

IMG_20201029_173615.jpg

Work week is complete, and it's a bowl of SWR to unwind. Really enjoying the start of this bowl. One thing I like about the pipe vs. cigars is that the flavour doesn't change. While the change can be interesting, I think I prefer the consistency more.

Also, SWMBO seemed somewhat chagrined by my choice. "Another one?"
She's subtle.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The codger blends certainly scratch an itch. They are always a solid standby. When I don't know what to grab or what will satisfy me I will usually grab a codger and be pleased I did so.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Work week is complete, and it's a bowl of SWR to unwind. Really enjoying the start of this bowl. One thing I like about the pipe vs. cigars is that the flavour doesn't change. While the change can be interesting, I think I prefer the consistency more.

Also, SWMBO seemed somewhat chagrined by my choice. "Another one?"
She's subtle.
She didn’t like the room note of SWR?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You hit that nail on the head. Had about seven bowls of CH today and ordered a tub. I read a review on TR I wrote in 2016 and found I must have liked it a lot then. I was self inspired by an old self.

Top Bottom