What's new

A Bakker's Dozen

Yes . . . I long ago managed to separate my "toy" money from house funds. It started when I was a poker player. So, yeah, I can swing that and be indulged. Just a giggle . . .

But I called it with respect to not being able to hold onto my presents until my birthday. At least, not all of them.

She gave me an English Blend Sampler as well as an Aromatic Sampler, purchased from Victory Pipes. Each sample looks like it's 50gm. They are currently jarred.

Aromatic sampler contains the following: Ancient Secrets, Smooth Sailing, and Mark Twain.
The Twain smells best to both of us, so it will be last.

English sampler contains the following: Brigham's D965, Old Irish, and Cambridge Blend
The Cambridge smells best of this lot, so it too will be smoked last.

Now my question:

I have one pipe, which is currently being filled with Amphora Supreme which is (correct me if I am wrong) a Burley blend, containing Burley, Virginia and Oriental tobaccos.

My intent is to sample the English Blends next, figuring they are less likely to "ghost" any follow-on tobaccos. Is this a correct assumption?
Aromatic1.jpg
English1.jpg

Also, a hearty "thank you" for today's bowl. Took a bit to get it to stay lit, but I avoided getting bit, and once lit, it stayed that way. Bowl was "loaded" rather than "packed", and I did not concern myself with how "much" was loaded, but just getting it started and keeping it going.

Seemed pretty easy with just steady small puffs (sips?) and the occasional longer draw. Fingers over the bowl when it looked a little lean, and a couple of finger tamps. Smoked it right down to the bottom, and only had a couple strands unburnt. Quite pleased for only my fourth bowl. Or was it fifth? Regardless, I think I have been educated somewhat, which is something I had hoped to accomplish by starting this thread.

Keep 'em coming, boys . . . I have lots to learn.

Last edited:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The Latakia in English can be pretty heavy. If you have any Virginia blends I'd smoke them first. They have a much lighter flavor profile and would likely be impacted by the much more flavorful Latakia.

The Latakia in English can be pretty heavy. If you have any Virginia blends I'd smoke them first. They have a much lighter flavor profile and would likely be impacted by the much more flavorful Latakia.
That did happen to me on my first pipe, a cob. I tried a burley and thought this is good! Then a vaper. This is even better! Then an English, and I liked that so much, I had 2 more bowls (over the next two days). Then loaded up my vaper again. Bleah! All I could taste was spicy smokey Latakia. That's not true, I did get some of the vaper. But not that smack in the face citrus/ fresh mown hay. It has a smokey tinge to it. But another $5.99 cob took care of that right quick.

Will that happen to you? I don't know. But I would think about a dedicated vaper pipe down the road. Not trying to encourage any ADs, but that one does have merit.

Well, I do have my Morgan stashed away . . . but no, I do not want to steal any thunder from my birthday pipes.

I have some other samples coming soon (more Amphoras, some Half and Half). today's goodies are safely jarred and labeled.

Hmm . . . this could be a way to get one of my birthday pipes early

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well, I do have my Morgan stashed away . . . but no, I do not want to steal any thunder from my birthday pipes.

I have some other samples coming soon (more Amphoras, some Half and Half). today's goodies are safely jarred and labeled.

Hmm . . . this could be a way to get one of my birthday pipes early
Happy Birthday 🎂

Interesting thing happened today. Doing yardwork, I lit up a Joya de Nicaragua cigar. This is one that I had decided was a "keeper" (ie always some in my humidor fridge). It tasted bland.

Since starting my pipe journey, this is the first cigar I have had. Please tell me pipes are not going to ruin cigars for me?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Interesting thing happened today. Doing yardwork, I lit up a Joya de Nicaragua cigar. This is one that I had decided was a "keeper" (ie always some in my humidor fridge). It tasted bland.

Since starting my pipe journey, this is the first cigar I have had. Please tell me pipes are not going to ruin cigars for me?

Many of us continue to enjoy both pipes and cigars. You may find some cigars to be a bit “one note” after the complexity of pipe tobacco or you may find yourself grabbing cigars that have different flavor profiles. Maybe try a more robust stick next time and see if you like it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Unless you turn into Lat fiend, probably not.

But traveling from an English pipe blend to something like a Macanudo is usually going to be an uninspiring journey.

The associated beverage can become a helpful tour guide in such situations.

Bit of a mixed bowl this morning. Still working on the Amphora Supreme. Lighting was fine, as was the first third to half a bowl. After that, I struggled to keep it lit. After the fourth relight I just bailed and tried to analyze things.

Pretty sure the culprit was a combination of overpacking and tobacco that was too moist. guessing about a 70/30 split in terms of guilt.

To counter this, I am now using an old tin of my Father's which, while a good seal, is not airtight. I have folded a clean piece of paper towel within, and added some tobacco to it. the plan is to allow it to sit, and for the paper towel to pick up some of the moisture from the blend. this afternoon, when my pipe has cooled thoroughly, I will enjoy another attempt and focus on LOADING, as opposed to cramming it full. Twenty to thirty minutes of enjoyment is better than frustration. Besides, the longer I look at my pipe, the more I think it is just not big enough for an hour long puffing session. But what do I know about that (yet)?

On the plus side, SWMBO authorized the purchase of a couple Cobs, so that was taken care of PDQ. Hopefully they arrive before long, and I can start divvying up the various blends that are inbound amongst them.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
For me tobacco dries out quite quickly. Take some from the mason jar, maybe rub it out a bit and set it on a mat/plate for 20 minutes and I'm good to go. Some tobaccos, even though they feel moist, are good to go straight from the jar.

For me tobacco dries out quite quickly. Take some from the mason jar, maybe rub it out a bit and set it on a mat/plate for 20 minutes and I'm good to go. Some tobaccos, even though they feel moist, are good to go straight from the jar.

Which is what I have been doing, for the most part. This is more by way of a test. I am willing to sacrifice a bowl of tobacco that is "too dry" if it means I can figure this out.

So, my morning bowl would seem to indicate the need to let the Amphora dry some before lighting. Did seem to run hotter, though, if bowl temp was any indication.

Just finished a bowl of an English Blend from my Sampler and I have a question . . .

Can I load up a different English blend in this pipe without concern of ghosting (only one bowl smoked in this pipe)?

I was not overly fond of this sample, and want to try another. but not if it's going to be overly influenced by the previous blend.

To it's credit it stayed lit fairly easily (4 matches, 1 of which was definitely due to sitting too long). I just did not care for it much.

Also found a reasonably local B&M with a friendly owner who provided a sample of one of his "house" blends. So I purchased a second.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So, my morning bowl would seem to indicate the need to let the Amphora dry some before lighting. Did seem to run hotter, though, if bowl temp was any indication.

Just finished a bowl of an English Blend from my Sampler and I have a question . . .

Can I load up a different English blend in this pipe without concern of ghosting (only one bowl smoked in this pipe)?

I was not overly fond of this sample, and want to try another. but not if it's going to be overly influenced by the previous blend.

To it's credit it stayed lit fairly easily (4 matches, 1 of which was definitely due to sitting too long). I just did not care for it much.

Also found a reasonably local B&M with a friendly owner who provided a sample of one of his "house" blends. So I purchased a second.

If you were smoking it hot, you weren't getting the true taste. Dry it again, smoke another bowl, but without it getting hot - back off your chugging to a gentle sip, so the bowl gets barely warm - then make the judgement.

Top Bottom