What's new

A Bakker's Dozen

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I think my biggest hurdle right now is "packing my bowl". I have a sneaking suspicion that I am cramming too much in.

Yup. I did the same :lol: I took the word "packing" to mean ram it in. I underestimated how much the tobacco would expand when lit. I tamped as though I was trying to close the lid on an overly full suitace too 🤣 Load, don't pack, and tamp ash, but not tobacco... kind of... it's tricky to put into words. :tongue_sm

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How so? Obviously I will not know which type of bowl until the day, but . . .

Large bowl, mild blend, small bowl, stronger blend. Narrow bowl, Virginias, wide bowl, English.
This wall, maybe not Virginias.

These aren't absolutes, just examples of what characteristics of the bowl might steer me towards particular blends

Large bowl, mild blend, small bowl, stronger blend. Narrow bowl, Virginias, wide bowl, English.
This wall, maybe not Virginias.

These aren't absolutes, just examples of what characteristics of the bowl might steer me towards particular blends

Large bowl = mild blend, because of the greater volume of tobacco loaded? Strong blend would be overpowering in this instance. I see the logic of it.

Apparently my giddy wife has received what was ordered for my birthday . . . it will be interesting to see how long she makes me wait (my birthday is mid-September).

I fully expect to be smoking at least ONE of my presents this weekend. She's weak, in that regard. Not that it will require any wheadling on my part.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
With regard to packing, I used to really concentrate on how I packed a pipe. Now I find that I just gravity feed, tap the pipe and then lightly press the tobacco in and smoke. I'm packing MUCH lighter then I did when I started out. I would say lighter is generally better. If you pack too lightly you can always tamp it to your preferred draw, its more difficult to undo a pipe packed to tightly once lit...

Check out the LOTR blends at Country Squire if you're feeling like getting your geek on with your new Churchwarden. I haven't tried any but several people here have enjoyed them.

When you say "tap the pipe" you mean just to knock it a bit so as to jostle the tobacco lower into the bowl, yes?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When you say "tap the pipe" you mean just to knock it a bit so as to jostle the tobacco lower into the bowl, yes?
You can buy cork pipe knockers that adhere to the center of an ashtray to knock tobacco from your pipe without damaging the rim or use the palm of your hand. Search “pipe knocker” on Amazon.

Last edited:

brandaves

Steve, I have seen them. I just wanted to clarify if what @brandaves was referring to was for loading a bowl.
You were correct, I just lightly tap the side of the bowl with my finger pads to settle it then lightly press the top down. You really only want to pack tight enough to ensure that your tobacco stays lit. Which, when you think about it doesn't require a really tight pack job.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You were correct, I just lightly tap the side of the bowl with my finger pads to settle it then lightly press the top down. You really only want to pack tight enough to ensure that your tobacco stays lit. Which, when you think about it doesn't require a really tight pack job.
Yes. I do the same. Tap it in then tamp as needed for a proper draw. I read a theory by someone somewhere that the flavor of the tobacco came from the tobacco under the cherry not the burning tobacco but the tobacco getting ready to burn. If this a correct observation, it would explain why over-packing would diminish the flavor as does drawing too heavily.

brandaves

The biggest take away from the packing discussion is this: You NEVER hear a person say, "I was packing too lightly when I started and finally learned to pack more tightly." It is inevitably the other way around...save yourself the trouble and go at it from the other direction. In my opinion you'll find the sweet spot a lot easier that way.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Oh boy . . . I have it on good authority that my daughter, who knows I like Tolkien, has ordered me a Churchwarden for my birthday. So now, the question becomes, what type of blend to smoke in it? Or do I dedicate it to a particular individual blend?
Smoke whatever you like in it

The biggest take away from the packing discussion is this: You NEVER hear a person say, "I was packing too lightly when I started and finally learned to pack more tightly." It is inevitably the other way around...save yourself the trouble and go at it from the other direction. In my opinion you'll find the sweet spot a lot easier that way.

**DING**

Smoke whatever you like in it

Courtesy of the Department of STOP OVERTHINKING.

Thanks gentlemen . . .

My issues is that if too many pipes start appearing, that "end" may come sooner than expected. :c9:
I found an easy workaround for that. Brick and mortar. Leave the card in the car and walk in with as much cashin willing to part with. That gorgeous Peterson in the case that I'd love nothing more than to walk out with? At $180, that's about $140 more than I walked in with. So, I'll take the cob and these tobaccos. And if you hand me a towel, I'll wipe up the drool by the Petes.

Top Bottom