What's new

A Bakker's Dozen

So . . . two bowls of Presbyterian today. Few hours apart to let the pipe cool. I made an effort to keep it as cool as possible. It's okay, but very light tasting. I think it's more of a smoke for when you are "doing something" than just sitting an contemplating. I have put the majority into a jar, and dated it. The leftovers will go into my "English" Frankenblend jar for later consumption. I am going to come back to it after some rest and aging. I like it well enough, but I am not sure it will be something I stock up on. Time will tell.

My Savinelli is taking the scenic route to get here to the Great White North.

Italy >> Germany (I'm guessing it's the UPS central hub for EU International shipments).
Germany >> Kentucky (Another hub, I guess, but I drive by their Canadian hub on my way to work everyday).
Kentucky >> Toronto (I'm guessing sometime overnight)

I'll be impressed if they actually DO attempt a delivery Friday, but I am now skeptical.

I can stipulate. New buying on hold thanks to the wife getting laid off, but that's okay. I can (literally) burn through current stock while we wait.

Okay, so the first rebuy in the Aromatic category is going to be a local house blend they call Mark Twain. I know, I know, there's a Burley by the same name. This is not that. But it's pleasant enough, and the Missus likes the aroma, so that warrants at least the purchase of a (overpriced) pouch, while I continue my wandering through the aromatic blends.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Okay, so the first rebuy in the Aromatic category is going to be a local house blend they call Mark Twain. I know, I know, there's a Burley by the same name. This is not that. But it's pleasant enough, and the Missus likes the aroma, so that warrants at least the purchase of a (overpriced) pouch, while I continue my wandering through the aromatic blends.
I'll send you some Mark Twain Burley in your care package. 👍

What kinds of flavors do you like in aromatics? The desserts in tobacco form or something more like a whiskey? I know you're just starting to work through the aros, but you still know what you like.

And there's nothing wrong with keeping a blend of Mrs. Bakker's favorite blend on hand. I do the same, along with a puck of shave soap scent (lavender) and aftershave (that blue Aqua Velvet crap I don't like).

LOL . . . I have a bevy of floral scented shave stuff for that very reason.

Right now, the biggest laugh I get is from my daughter, for whom ALL aromatics smell like "rum cake". the only thing I am really getting from the three samples I have finished, is a candied almond taste on the tongue. Unfortunately, it's been breezy here of late, so the plume tends to waft away from me before I can get anything from it.

When I say candied almond, I should explain. My first full time job was with a snack food company. One of their products was called Almond Delight. Heat up sugar and water to 230', add the almonds, stir until evenly coated, kill the heat, and dump it on the cooling table. That is what I am referring to . . . a caramelized sugar taste, with some nuttiness underneath it.

I like it well enough, but if that is all I ever "find" in aromatics, well, then I will just keep it round for the Missus to enjoy the odd time.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
LOL . . . I have a bevy of floral scented shave stuff for that very reason.

Right now, the biggest laugh I get is from my daughter, for whom ALL aromatics smell like "rum cake". the only thing I am really getting from the three samples I have finished, is a candied almond taste on the tongue. Unfortunately, it's been breezy here of late, so the plume tends to waft away from me before I can get anything from it.

When I say candied almond, I should explain. My first full time job was with a snack food company. One of their products was called Almond Delight. Heat up sugar and water to 230', add the almonds, stir until evenly coated, kill the heat, and dump it on the cooling table. That is what I am referring to . . . a caramelized sugar taste, with some nuttiness underneath it.

I like it well enough, but if that is all I ever "find" in aromatics, well, then I will just keep it round for the Missus to enjoy the odd time.
I can't really get the benefit of room note while smoking. I taste the tobacco but that's all I'm able to detect.

Top Bottom