What's new

A bad puck of MWF? Maybe no lanolin in it?

Heard from a guy in a German forum who has the same issues with mwf. Seems to be qc problems

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

I emailed Mitchell’s from their website several weeks ago. Either they are closed for COVID, backed up answering emails or they don’t care. I’ve not heard a peep. Not even an acknowledgment of my message.

I think I’ll be switching over to Sterling soon.

I think I am going to use sterling sheep to replace MWF. I hope my current puck of Fat doesn’t go crazy before I can finish out. But when it’s gone, I won’t purchase MWF again. It’s just too inconsistent.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA

You mentioned a smell of lanolin being absent. I know what MWF smells like, but not lanolin on its own. Unless you're sure what lanolin smells like on its own, you make have a pure fake on your hands that was not perfumed close enough to MWF to even fool someone in that area. You don't need lanolin for a stable lather.
I misspoke. What I meant to say was the clean smell that was present after a few shaves is no longer there. I get no smell at all.

I used my backup, fresh out of the box, puck today. And it sucked just as bad. I always have backups of all my shaving products, which is easy since I always use the same 4 products. I don't like variety - I like what I like and don't deviate. I only have one shave brush.

So believe me when I say that this is disheartening. 10 years with this soap. *sigh*

When I travel I use Cremo tube (hand lathering) with a OneBlade (Feather). So today I am about to buy Cremo's bowl lathering cream along with a lathering bowl.

Thanks everyone.

Follow up thought: these pucks have zero lubrication, besides the lack of a lather. I didn't have enough lubrication to complete one pass. No matter how many times I would go back to the puck and reswirl and reapply, nothing useful would happen. Shaving actually hurt using this soap. I finished shaving by breaking out the Cremo and the OneBlade.

That is very strange, I've never had that issue with any of my MWF. I bought my current puck about 6 months ago and it lathers like a beast. How long ago did you get the pucks and did you get them at the same time? Maybe it is a QC issue at MWF.

Oh this is gonna be interesting, just made my order today of the shaving soap, never used it before, now I'm getting worried :laugh:

I bought mine from West Coast Shaving and I bought the puck in the ceramic bowl. I really don’t think it’s counterfeit but I do believe it’s either defective out of production, or was damaged by heat somewhere along the way.

It sure would be nice to hear from someone at Mitchell, but so far crickets.

These last 2 pucks are recent purchases. I don't have the packaging - d'oh.
My wife wonders if the company was recently purchased and the new owners went cheap.

I bought mine from West Coast Shaving and I bought the puck in the ceramic bowl. I really don’t think it’s counterfeit but I do believe it’s either defective out of production, or was damaged by heat somewhere along the way.

It sure would be nice to hear from someone at Mitchell, but so far crickets.

I ordered mine from Mitchell's directly, there's a nice lady there who corresponds through E-mails. You could always call, even though it might be a small fortune having in mind you're from the States.... Whenever mine arrives I'll give a review!

Reactions: nav
I used my backup, fresh out of the box, puck today. And it sucked just as bad. I always have backups of all my shaving products, which is easy since I always use the same 4 products. I don't like variety - I like what I like and don't deviate. I only have one shave brush.

So believe me when I say that this is disheartening. 10 years with this soap. *sigh*

When I travel I use Cremo tube (hand lathering) with a OneBlade (Feather). So today I am about to buy Cremo's bowl lathering cream along with a lathering bowl.

Thanks everyone.

Could you please grate the puck and press it into your container and see how it performs?

I had the same problem with my puck of MWF as Tim and others have reported in this thread. I tried lathering it many different ways and with distilled water, different amount of water, and using a lather bowl, etc. - many different permutations - but the same poor lather. I bought mine from Maggard. I contacted Maggard to see if they had any others report this problem and Brad responded that they sell a lot of these pucks and have never had this issue reported before. There are too many other good soaps for me to buy another puck so I'm probably just going to write MWF off and move on.

I just got the same answer from Italian Barber. Hard to believe that just the odd puck here and there is affected. I guess I'm done with MWF. Sad to say that because I've enjoyed it so much.

I contacted Maggard to see if they had any others report this problem and Brad responded that they sell a lot of these pucks and have never had this issue reported before.
Do you think everyone would report this as a problem. New users could just put it down to the fact they can't lather this mysterious soap. There is a problem with MWF. It's been discussed on a UK based forum (plus other countries it seems), I decided to have a look on here and see if many experienced MWF users had reported unalterable pucks. There's a difference between the usual MWF dense yogurt lather and the foamy mess that is generated with these dodgy pucks.

Top Bottom