What's new

A bad puck of MWF? Maybe no lanolin in it?

I've been using MWF exclusively for 10 years, and I think that I've finally run across a bad puck. Absolutely zero lubrication or moisture retention. And no smell of lanolin. I tried it 3 times just in case, but today was the last straw. I opened up my backup puck and immediately there was that lovely scent of lanolin. I won't get around to trying it for a couple days though, but today was the final straw with this puck and I just had to post to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Including a picture my wife took. I tried and tried to apply some lather and get it to stay, and then I rushed into the living room and had my wife take a picture. So this is freshly applied...

MWF.jpeg

I always buy from Amazon, and I don't keep the container, unfortunately.

PS. I always go straight to my order history and click Buy Again.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
That's interesting, but goes a long way in my book as to explaining why many of us have polar opposite experiences with it.

That being said, the "lather" is indeed terrible. I get better lather with any of my regular bath soaps I have.
Thanks for posting here, so at least we know to keep an eye on it.

This is the second post I’ve seen about this lately. I cant find the last one but it was very similar to what you have reported. Perhaps MWF messed up a batch although im not sire the process for soap making it may be more of a production error than the actual leaving out of an ingredient such as heating too long or too high.

It turns out, I had the same experience as you and documented it quite heavily in another thread. Feel free to look if you're interested.

BLUF, I had a MWF puck that lathered like yours, bubbly and airy. I got a sample MWF from my friend and it worked wonderfully into a thick and creamy lather. Conclusion was that puck was either damaged through heat or somehow, the ingredients got tampered with.

I met MWF back when she was all the rage back in the days of Gordon and SMF. I liked the way she smelled and looked. Unfortunately It never worked out between us and we broke up (the puck cracked up) but I did get to keep, as part of the breakup settlement, the lovely ceramic pots which are now housing ABC hard soap and Boellis croaps. Memories....

I have to say that looks like maybe there's been an issue in production also. I've had one or two issues with MWF while I was learning how to get the best from it but even my worst ever attempt was no where near as bad as that

I've been following this thread because I've used MWF for a long time and always had good results with it. But, last night I opened a new puck, put it in its ceramic bowl, wet it, and left it covered overnight. I shaved with it this morning and, I hate to say it, got the same result as jeffus. I face lathered using the dry method and my Omega 49. This normally gives me enough thick, slick lather for three passes, touch up, and a face wash. This morning it looked OK to start with, but quickly dissipated to what jeffus' photo showed, during the first pass. I had nothing left for the third pass and had to go back to the puck again, wth the same result. The slickness was there - I had enough residual slickness to do the touch up just re-wetting my face, but the lather was terrible.

In the past I've noticed that MWF doesn't hit its peak performance until its been used daily for a week or so. I'm going to keep lathering it up every morning for a while to see what it does (although I'll probably just hand lather and shave with something else until I start seeing some worthwhile lather). I hope this is a temporary thing, because I really love this soap.

I'm kind of doubting the bad batch theory. Jeffus bought his from Amazon on the west coast of the US; I bought mine from Italian Barber in Toronto. Unless Mitchells makes humungous batches, I doubt whether that could be the problem.

If it doesn't shape up in a week or so, I think an email to Mitchells is in order.

I emailed Mitchell’s from their website several weeks ago. Either they are closed for COVID, backed up answering emails or they don’t care. I’ve not heard a peep. Not even an acknowledgment of my message.

I think I’ll be switching over to Sterling soon.

Based on @Timeclo recent issues to MWF and very similar to your own, it has to be either A counterfeit or quality issue. Very disappointing to say the least.
I don’t think it’s counterfeit. Mine came from West Coast Shaving and I think he got his from Amazon. Amazon night ship a counterfeit, but I can’t imagine WCS doing that.

I don’t think it’s counterfeit. Mine came from West Coast Shaving and I think he got his from Amazon. Amazon night ship a counterfeit, but I can’t imagine WCS doing that.

If it was "shipped and sold from Amazon" it's less likely to be a fake since they probably buy direct in huge bulk, but who knows what you're getting from a 3rd party seller.

I've been using MWF exclusively for 10 years, and I think that I've finally run across a bad puck. Absolutely zero lubrication or moisture retention. And no smell of lanolin. I tried it 3 times just in case, but today was the last straw. I opened up my backup puck and immediately there was that lovely scent of lanolin. I won't get around to trying it for a couple days though, but today was the final straw with this puck and I just had to post to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Including a picture my wife took. I tried and tried to apply some lather and get it to stay, and then I rushed into the living room and had my wife take a picture. So this is freshly applied...

View attachment 1106974

You mentioned a smell of lanolin being absent. I know what MWF smells like, but not lanolin on its own. Unless you're sure what lanolin smells like on its own, you make have a pure fake on your hands that was not perfumed close enough to MWF to even fool someone in that area. You don't need lanolin for a stable lather.

Top Bottom