What's new

A Abraham Damascus

Does anyone recognize this razor and have any info.

thanks in advance.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Thanks guys. I will pass on it. I found it at an antique mall in San Diego and told them I would let them know tomorrow.

No worries, I found and bought a mint Fromm Red Head yesterday. It does not appear to have ever been used. The bevel was miniscule.

Indeed. The biggest giveaway to me is that it is only in a defined square in the middle of the blade. Almost looks like a sticker.

Judging by the fake damascus, the fact that there is no maker's marks, and the only name on it is printed/etched and not stamped into the steel - and for that matter the font is wierd like Times New Roman or something - Also the general shape and design... It all just screams Pakistan to me.

Doesn't mean it won't shave...

Not necessarily.
When you polish a Damascus blade, the pattern almost disappear. It takes a very close examination to see the layer.
So it could still be a genuine one. You would have to inspect the edge of the blade with magnification to see if it is layered.
The pattern does look fake however, but it could be etched over true Damascus.
I have seen vintage Damascus razor blades that did not have any visible patterns.

The Damascus pattern becomes visible by etching. Zowadas, for instance, have a small unetched strip of steel close to the bevel where the pattern remaines invisible. You could thus etch a rectangular shaped pattern on a blade like in this case. But here, the pattern just looks fake if you inspect it up close.

I think zowadas have a layer of solid steel in the center so that the bevel won't have layers of different steels weaving in and out potentially causing micro chips. This single layer gives it an un etched lok near the bevel because it all etches the same as opposed to the difference in etching that allowed the alternating layers to contrast with one another on the rest of the blade

I think zowadas have a layer of solid steel in the center so that the bevel won't have layers of different steels weaving in and out potentially causing micro chips. This single layer gives it an un etched lok near the bevel because it all etches the same as opposed to the difference in etching that allowed the alternating layers to contrast with one another on the rest of the blade

Incorrect. I have it from Tim himself that he leaves a strip of unetched Steel near the bevel.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
+1 on FAKE. Laugh at them.

What was the asking price? I dont think you will find a qualiry Damascus or patrern-welded blade with or without scales, for less than $175 or so.

Top Bottom