What's new

A 1912 Just Ate My Face!

Yesterday I decided to use my EverReady 1912 SE razor. I usually grab my Damaskeene but I just decided to go with a regular 1912. I chose a Treet Carbon Steel SE blade...a blade I've never tried before. I usually go with the CVS brand SE blades. My soap was a stick of Irisch Moos...again, first time I used this product.

Well, at first I was surprised by how noisy the razor/blade combo was. I'm used to SE razor blades giving a lot of audio feedback, but this was more intense. I did OK on the sides of my face, but the chin and neck was feeling some discomfort. I used some Proraso Prep on the troubled areas and lathered up again for the second pass. Again my neck felt discomfort so I went with VERY short strokes and kept lathering those areas.

After my problems, I quit with 2 passes and did my post shave routine. First some witch hazel and I felt a good bit of stinging. Then I used my RazorRock aftershave wax. I did not use any AS as I usually do.

Later I felt a nasty burn on my neck and it was red and showing red bumps. I put on some Nivea for sensitive skin balm...good stuff for troubled shaves.

I have to say this isn't a typical 1912 shave experience for me. So, something went wrong. It could be the Treet blades even while they get good comments usually. I suppose the Irisch Moos soap could have a part in the problem but the lather was very good it seemed to me.

I did a good prep routine so I'm troubled by this bad shave result. It was pretty dramatic with red sore skin and bumps. And the razor burn was pretty bad.

Anyone have some suggestions, feedback, shave critique please sound off.

Try the Damaskeene with Irisch Moos and an SS blade. Then same soap and blade with the ER. I don't get on well with carbon steel blades, so that's where my finger naturally points...

I like treet Carbon blades over my Pella SS ones in the 1912 but I think you may have introduced too many new things in the mix. Also did you use the stick by rubbing it on your face? That can lead to sensitivity later on with certain shave sticks....arko does it to me with an aggressive razor, but Palmolive doesn't...

I like treet Carbon blades over my Pella SS ones in the 1912 but I think you may have introduced too many new things in the mix. Also did you use the stick by rubbing it on your face? That can lead to sensitivity later on with certain shave sticks....arko does it to
I agree about too many new variables. Rookie move. I did not face lather.

I don't have any suggestions. I just liked the thread title. I should make it into a t-shirt and confuse the hell out of everybody.

I used one of my 1912 GEMs today. Started with a Treet carbon blade but after the first pass I dropped the blade and put in a GEM stainless steel PTFE coated blade that has 14 shaves on it. Even with 14 shaves it blew the carbon blade away (carbon was on its second shave). The Treet blade went right down the medicine cabinet slot. I am going to stick with the GEM coated stainless blades from now on.

proxy.php

Im Shocked to hear this, as the 1912 is one of my Favorite daily SE Razors, Very Smooth Shaves with Gem SS blades from group buy a while back.

Funny just yesterday i went to CVS pharmacy with the Boss "The Wife" and u saw some Treet blades a pack of 10 for $5.99 Picked them up just to try them, but after reading this post i'm thinking of returning them :eek:/ what do you guys think?

Im Shocked to hear this, as the 1912 is one of my Favorite daily SE Razors, Very Smooth Shaves with Gem SS blades from group buy a while back.

Funny just yesterday i went to CVS pharmacy with the Boss "The Wife" and u saw some Treet blades a pack of 10 for $5.99 Picked them up just to try them, but after reading this post i'm thinking of returning them :eek:/ what do you guys think?

This is a really YMMV with the blades. I have no luck at all with the coated blades, but find either the Treet or store brands CVS (made by ASR) to be work best for my beard type. In a worst case scenario you are out of $6, about the cost of a cheap lunch. if you don't like them, PIF them.

I think the treet blades shave smoother and easier. Ymmv. I used the ss ones for three years before trying treets.
With blades especially, I'm getting that YMMV is VERY true. While one man loves a certain blade, another man complains about them. Makes extensive blade experimentation mandatory.

Top Bottom