What's new

9/8 Wedge for $15!

I was at an estate auction yesterday, and while digging through the junk boxes, I found this gem. A long wait and $15 later, it was mine! Along with a WWI AutoStrop military kit, but that's another topic. The tang stamp reads as follows: Manufactured for the United States by E.L & Co. The blade is 9/8, and a true wedge, so I'm very pleased, needless to say! I can't wait to see how it cleans up, I'll post pictures as it progresses. And if anyone has any information on the manufacturer, I'd appreciate it very much! 20200617_222515.jpg20200617_222525.jpg20200617_222535.jpg20200617_222542.jpg20200617_222549.jpg20200617_222626.jpg20200617_222644.jpg

Sadly, it might be hard to salvage the horn-made scales, but the blade has so much metal that you can get it as shiny as you have the patience for.
I am looking forward to see how it turns out.
Call me crazy, but I'm going to try to salvage the scales( with doubtful results, but we'll see😂😂).

Manufactured for the United States by E.L & Co.
Makes me wonder if the quality of the razor was higher because it was meant for export? Or if it were the same or lesser quality than what E.L & Company would have produced for sale in its home country? I do not know the country of origin though I might expect it to be a more developed (richer?) country than the US, so it is curious why they went to the point of stamping that it was made for the US instead of leaving it unmentioned for worldwide distribution.

The question comes to mind because today some poorer countries export much of their best products because of the extra income that will generate.

Makes me wonder if the quality of the razor was higher because it was meant for export? Or if it were the same or lesser quality than what E.L & Company would have produced for sale in its home country? I do not know the country of origin though I might expect it to be a more developed (richer?) country than the US, so it is curious why they went to the point of stamping that it was made for the US instead of leaving it unmentioned for worldwide distribution.

The question comes to mind because today some poorer countries export much of their best products because of the extra income that will generate.
That's a interesting thought, I assumed it was manufactured for the United States government. Possibly for issue to the army/navy? I know the navy issued straight razors during the Civil War, possibly this was one of them?

Top Bottom