What's new

8oz of Alum blocks for $1... in pretty much every city.

I’ve been using a 3.4oz Gentleman Jon’s alum block which I got for Amazon for $8 and it’s been an essential part of my daily share routine. In addition to shaving, I also cook a lot of Asian food. I was at the local Asian grocery store last month and was surprised to see them selling 8oz bags containing 2-3 pure alum blocks... for one buck. I’ve been using just one of the pieces of the “grocery store alum” for the last month or so and the flattest side has become almost glass-like (before, it was rough... I’ve added pictures of the used and unused one side by side so you can see what I mean).

As far as I can tell, it’s identical to the name brand stuff. I mean, alum is alum. I guess you could cut it to block size but what’s the point? I like it being larger because it feels like it covers my face more easily when using it after shaving.

It just blew my mind that they sell this thing (apparently for cooking) that I think is essential for every wet shaved to have... the same product by weight for brand name (Jon’s) would cost around $20. I highly recommend that those of you out there who use alum blocks go to your nearest larger Asian supermarket and check the spices/powders aisle.

I have no clue what precisely Asians use the alum for (other than cooking) but I’m super happy to have found it so cheap.

Hope this post has been of benefit to someone reading it!

Attachments

• 8A4ED3E1-0B34-49AC-85A8-DF64C0D96B28.jpeg
    8A4ED3E1-0B34-49AC-85A8-DF64C0D96B28.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 82
  • 32F165E3-8A25-486D-A42F-96F88A55F6E7.jpeg
    32F165E3-8A25-486D-A42F-96F88A55F6E7.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 0B3B81AA-91F5-4C37-AB7F-01DCD9B16831.jpeg
    0B3B81AA-91F5-4C37-AB7F-01DCD9B16831.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 73
As I understand it there are different forms of alum: Ammonium Alum, Potassium Alum, Soda Alum, Chrome Alum, and Selenate Alum, among others. Most likely you got some Potassium Alum which is used by some in cooking.
Some use Alum powder for pickling. There are also different ways the alum is made.

Here is an interesting post on alum.

It turns out you’re right! They are definitely potassium alum crystals - the exact same chemical composition as brands like Osma have in their blocks. I found an article off-site indicating all alum sold for human consumption (which these were) have to be potassium-aluminum. I like how it’s the entire crystal block rather than the compressed alum powder some manufacturers sell. I was reading through the thread you referenced with eye out for any safety issues from using “grocery store alum” and found this:

Essentially they all function the same ... Potassium alum is an antiseptic so the chances of it being unsafe are low.

Further investigation determined the blocks sold at the store are known as “Ming Fan“ medicinal aluminum potassium sulfate, and can safely be applied to the skin or eaten.

I’ve definitely felt an astringent feeling when using it.. and no weird side effects. Here’s a link to the other thread I found (he apparently found a half pound for 79 cents, so I guess it pays to shop around 😝):

... and proving that there’s nothing that hasn’t already been discussed by someone on the Internet, here’s a reddit about someone asking if theres a difference between grocery store/brand name alum (turns out, nope):

https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/3ft8bc

Last edited:
My only issue is with the Chinese sourced alum blocks. It looks like others touched on the same issue, albeit peripherally, in the thread provided by Jim. I believe the issue is a lack of oversight to ensure that the stuff they are pulling out of the ground is only composed of alum and not other substances that are naturally occuring yet harmful. I just don't trust China's oversight capabilities and therefore am willing to pay a little more for the Osma. I too have been using a block of Gentleman Jon for pretty much 4 years. It is now a sliver and I can barely hold it in my hand as I rub it on my face. More importantly, while I didn't read the label when I bought it, I did fairly recently and it comes from China. Obviously I don't have any strange growths on my face and have no other skin related issues on my face so it was just fine. But now that I know where it's from, I'll be using the Osma block that I have and it will likely last me another 4 or 5 years since I'm shaving less than I used to.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Potassium alum is used in cooking, particularly when pickling vegetables. It makes them crunchier. It is not just used in Asian cooking, McD use it in the preparation of their pickles.

I’ve been using a 3.4oz Gentleman Jon’s alum block which I got for Amazon for $8 and it’s been an essential part of my daily share routine. In addition to shaving, I also cook a lot of Asian food. I was at the local Asian grocery store last month and was surprised to see them selling 8oz bags containing 2-3 pure alum blocks... for one buck. I’ve been using just one of the pieces of the “grocery store alum” for the last month or so and the flattest side has become almost glass-like (before, it was rough... I’ve added pictures of the used and unused one side by side so you can see what I mean).

As far as I can tell, it’s identical to the name brand stuff. I mean, alum is alum. I guess you could cut it to block size but what’s the point? I like it being larger because it feels like it covers my face more easily when using it after shaving.

It just blew my mind that they sell this thing (apparently for cooking) that I think is essential for every wet shaved to have... the same product by weight for brand name (Jon’s) would cost around $20. I highly recommend that those of you out there who use alum blocks go to your nearest larger Asian supermarket and check the spices/powders aisle.

I have no clue what precisely Asians use the alum for (other than cooking) but I’m super happy to have found it so cheap.

Hope this post has been of benefit to someone reading it!
I buy the same alum where I live as well. $1.00 for 8 ounces as well.
I currently have 12.8 pounds of it on hand at the moment and primarily use it as deodorant. I'll grind into a fine powder and dissolve it in distilled water to make a deodorant spray. By my math it should last me around 17 years.
I also keep a small piece on hand for the occassionally rare nick or cut.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I buy the same alum where I live as well. $1.00 for 8 ounces as well.
I currently have 12.8 pounds of it on hand at the moment and primarily use it as deodorant. I'll grind into a fine powder and dissolve it in distilled water to make a deodorant spray. By my math it should last me around 17 years.
I also keep a small piece on hand for the occassionally rare nick or cut.
I use it as an antiperspirant as well and avoid that sticky greasy stuff.

I get 100g blocks for 15 cents (I live in India!).

I stock up at a market when I visit the in-laws. Good quality blocks, they don't crumble as they get used up.

Top Bottom