What's new

80’s Superspeeds

Is it just me, or are 80’s superspeeds as rare as hens teeth? I finally got a hold of one, but it took me years before one popped on my radar.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I PIF’d a 1986 Black Handle SS a few years ago to a guy born that year. I’ve not seen another since. They are pretty rare - this was the era of disposable everything.

I had to search high and low for my birth quarter 1986 SS. Ultimately a WTB post on here turned one up from a gentlemen that had been hunting them for years. I can say this much, I've certainly never seen another example turn up for sale since.

With the turn towards disposable cartridge razors in full swing by the 80s I would be very curious to know just where these razors were stocked and sold. My impression is that most people do not recall these razors on the shelf in the stores during that time period and it's entirely possible that overseas markets were where these razors were sold.

They were made until 1988 but in much smaller quantities compared to the 70s. The knurling on the handle is different. Also the head has different gap (bigger) and exposure (smaller) than the 70s. Yes they are a bit rare.

I have an NOS on the card I-1 waiting for my son for when he starts shaving. Diamond knurling with dark violet handle. I’ve only seen one other 1988 online but it wasn’t for sale.

Back in 1992 the Walmart in
West Dundee Illinois still had plenty
Of them on the shelf most were black
Handle but some were dark blue
And some were a very dark burgundy
And they were going for around $7.00
Or $8.00. I had purchased the rare
One in the bunch with the light blue &
Silver color handle the packaging
On all of them were labeled Gillette
super speed

Any photo of the blue, burgundy etc. handles would be appreciated. Most of us in Europe (if not all) have seen only the black handles. I have a 1982 and a 1983 SS, but with black handles.

No I feel terrible that I wasn't the
Type of collector/hoarder back
Then, that I am now. But then again
It never entered my mind that those
Super speeds were actually rare and
Would decades later be collectable

No I feel terrible that I wasn't the
Type of collector/hoarder back
Then, that I am now. But then again
It never entered my mind that those
Super speeds were actually rare and
Would decades later be collectable
It's only logical. But in time you realise everything becomes collectible. Last week I retired my Mach3 bought around 2002 and used for 19 years. The current Mach3 has added knurling to the rubber parts + the Gillette logo is different now. So I gave it a good scrub with soap and it is now a collectible. :lol:

That's how stuff BECOMES rare and collectible. If every one of the millions of Gillette safety razors sold had been treated and kept as a cherished collectable, they wouldn't be cherished collectables now.

Top Bottom