What's new

80's Superspeed........

Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while so I thought thought I would today. Anyways, this morning I decided to whip out my birth year razor and give it a run (1982 C4 Black Beauty). I don't know if it's just me but this one seems to be a bit more aggressive than say....my 40's Tech which I understand are mild anyway. Made me wonder if all the later models of the Superspeed (late 70's....early 80's) became more aggressive. It still gives great shaves, I just find myself being extra careful and have a super feather light touch.

I've used SS from each model generation, and the Super Speeds get noticeably milder through the years.

My birth year razor is a black-handled SS, and it's so mild that I find it to be kind of annoying that I have to do so many passes.

I have a 79. I don't think it is much different from most other Super Speeds. If I shaved back to back or side by side with a 40s, 50s, 60, or early 70s, I may find a small difference in efficiency, but not much. To me all Super Speeds are fairly mild, but efficient enough to get the job done.

I use a black handled superspeed as my travel razor. They are usually plentiful and very inexpensive. It is mild, but a very good razor, overall.

I have several SS's, the latest being a 1965 Slim. I agree that they are all mild, yet efficient razors. I have two adjustables, so they can be dialed up or down as necessary.

I love the look of a Black beauty.

I confess that I don't pay attention to dates but I've picked up 3 black handled 70s-80s(?) Superspeeds over the past year. One is brand new, and I haven't used it. I find that the one I've kept out to use gets more action than any other razor. Easy to grip, very forgiving, and with good prep and lather it nearly always delivers a nice shave. I like the look as well. As was said above, they're inexpensive, they're plentiful, its easy to find one in good condition, and they really clean up nicely.

I've used SS from each model generation, and the Super Speeds get noticeably milder through the years.

That is my experience as well. Milder razors = easier to use = broader market appeal = more sales.

Same thing has happened with mass market beers over the decades.

That is my experience as well. Milder razors = easier to use = broader market appeal = more sales.

Same thing has happened with mass market beers over the decades.
I went looking for info on the superspeed razors, as I have been watching the sales (as well as perusing the bay). It seems Gillette made 5 billion flairtips, silver (mid-agressive) and 500 blue-tip (mild). It's so strikingly different it's crazy. I really don't think they knew milder would sell better, at least not back then. In fact, I think they were only humoring someone in the R&D department at the time when they made the blue-tip variant.

Well, I have the first year SS, and not because it's my birth year. We know some feel the 1955-59 Red Tip is more aggressive (whatever that means). Most products at the end of their cycle become less rather than more. I suspect that would be true for the 1980 SS.

Top Bottom