What's new

8 months later, and I‘m finally proficient

After 8 months of toying with a straight razor, I’m confident enough to call my technique proficient.

Today’s shave was very close, and the alum block gave me virtually zero irritation. I also had zero cuts or weepers.

while it didn’t take me long to become proficient with a DE, the straight is a totally different animal, which IMHO, when used correctly, delivers superior results.

persistence, trial and error and stepping away from the straight were key to my path forward. Also, what was most key was learning about the angle, how to stretch the sling, and most importantly, how not to apply pressure.

now that I’ve become proficient and, will I use this until I can’t shave myself?
B2474E47-605D-49D8-94A2-1B6BB59E26D9.jpeg

240 of my last 244 shaves were with a straight. One was DE and 3 were electric. I cannot stop shaving with a straight when it’s reasonably convenient.

Eight of us were in a one bathroom rental over Thanksgiving. There wasn’t a way to wet shave with the time constraints. The electric hadn’t been used in over seven years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After 8 months of toying with a straight razor, I’m confident enough to call my technique proficient.

Today’s shave was very close, and the alum block gave me virtually zero irritation. I also had zero cuts or weepers.

while it didn’t take me long to become proficient with a DE, the straight is a totally different animal, which IMHO, when used correctly, delivers superior results.

persistence, trial and error and stepping away from the straight were key to my path forward. Also, what was most key was learning about the angle, how to stretch the sling, and most importantly, how not to apply pressure.

now that I’ve become proficient and, will I use this until I can’t shave myself?

I've been SR shaving for about the same time as you. I love to shave with a straight; the vast majority of my shaves the last 10 months have been on straight razors or shavette (mostly AC shavette really but that's by the by). It just feels better, it's more enjoyable. And like you, I find the results to be much better.

Shaving with my RR Hawk SE is fine (and quick) but doesn't provide the same satisfaction one gets from carefully and artfully removing hair from skin with a naked edge.

I don't see myself going back to using any form of safety razor routinely. You may find the same thing. I hope you continue to have comfortable and enjoyable shaves regardless :)

Luke

Top Bottom