What's new

8 hour trip in the mountains, took some wrong turns, ended up at the wrong mountain:)

PS, no need to read the story if you don't want to. Pics under the text.

Soo, a friend and I planned to go to the top of "Ulvanoso" (wolf's nose), one of the highest mountains in our municipality, at 1247 meters above sea level. All was well, we started high in moral. Met some folks on the way up, and did the normal mountain small talk. After one hour, apprx, we got to a sign that says "short route to Ulvanoso" and "long route....". We didn't have much time, so we decided on the short route. None of us had ever been to Ulvanoso before. Anyway, somewhere on the short route, we lost track of the markings, and held too much left in the terrain. We both sort of decided that a top very far away was our destination, when, in reality, it was another top right of us. We're both familiar in these mountains, and something told me that "that top over there can't be Ulvanoso, there are no huge tops right of Ulvanoso.". I concluded that it must look much differently from up here than it does down in the valley :)

So, when we got back our cell's signal, we checked the map. "Hmmmm, erhh, hmmm......." was the sounds my friend made. We were walking toward "Englafjell" (Angel's mountain). All I packed for food was two apples, I didn't plan on such a long trip! I felt in my body that I was burning my energy reserve, I hadn't had much to eat earlier that day. I forced myself up, my friend's in better shape, and just had a moral crack (I had a physical one as well :) ). We made it to the top, awesome feeling! 1200 meters above sea level. 4,5 hours up. We probably shouldn't use more than 3 hours to Ulvanoso.

We decided on our way to the top that "we're not going back where we came from, too damn far!!", so we started our descent toward "Mjelkhaug" (milk's knoll, 1005 m.a.sl). That proved to be much much further than what it looked like from the top. The terrain was "up, down, up, down". It really tore on my muscles. I felt cramps in the muscle just above the knee cap in each step I took. We decided that "we're not walking to Mjelkhaug, too damn far!". So we aimed right of the top, planning on going around it and down to "svartavatnet" (blackwater lake). That proved to be a major detour if we wanted to get down as fast as possible. So we jumped off the track and walked to "Sundsstøl", followed by "Bremstøl". At this point we were nearly down to civilisation :D We finally did get down to the road. We called for someone to pick us up, as we got back down a 20 minutes drive from where we parked. Got a ride in to where my friend parked his car, and we drove home in our separate cars. I felt like hell, but after four cheeceburgers and a pepsi I felt much better. Started 1400, down to the road 2200.

Next time my friend suggests a "quick hike", I'll think about it twice LOOL. I brought a couple of cameras, and so I got to take some pics on the way. I may have been exhausted, but man is the terrain and the mountains caps up here beautiful! Such majestic things, mountains. And it's all basically in my back yard. 5 minutes on a bike, and I start the climb up!

1: manual blend of two exposures. Some ghosting in the rocks. Were handheld, so I couldn't perfectly align the images.

Dam 2 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Dam by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

3: That top in the back there, the cap, that's our original destination, Ulvanoso

Fjell 2 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

4: here you see Ulvanoso (right) and Englafjell as the highest top at the left.

Fjell 3 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

5: another of Englafjell. Cloudscape

Fjell 4 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

6: Englafjell, horisontal

Fjell 5 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

7: my buddy taking a rest. Englafjell in the back. Some wide angle distortion, here :)

Jon Einar by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

8: finally at the top, Englafjell :D

Jon Einar 3 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

9: view toward "Rosendal", the "tourist magnet" where I come from. Lovely mountains over there. They are higher, but distortion makes them appear smaller, it seems

Rosendal 2 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

10: wider of the previous

Rosendal by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

11: Ulvanoso, with the "T"s being some of the markings we were supposed to follow. This is from Englafjell.

Tursti by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

12: Ulvanoso, mighty stuff! Very steep here, one much watch where one goes. Walking in fog is extremely dangerous.

Ulvanåso 2 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

15: Ulvanoso

Ulvanåso by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

16: top of Englafjell. When you see the landmark, you get some extra energy! Ulvanoso in the back, there.

Varden by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

17: Just a small lake. Very steep down to it :) Thought I'd try on some semi abstract landscape stuff and some leading lines :)

Vatn by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

And finally

16: self timer. I forgot to focus, but being wide angle luckily it's not catastrophic :)

Topptur by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

All agreed that it had been a fun trip, haha
I hope you enjoyed some of these images, at least :)

Top Bottom