What's new

8 blades rescued in one day

Rescued 8 razors today from local antique stores. Think I did pretty well.

1. Wade and Butcher pre 1890 (cut down?)

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391229818.648680.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391229879.101357.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391229888.362494.jpg

2. Wade and Butcher with a slight frown. Would love some info on this one. Blade reads "gentlemans razor NO. 1"

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391229963.631886.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391229972.263710.jpg

The last two I don't know anything about but looked nice and the geometries caught my eye.

7. Iaylor Sheffield

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391230288.650044.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391230296.534873.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391230378.882903.jpg

8. Luna (details on the tang)

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391230434.090328.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391230461.885876.jpg

I have a couple of those Adoration razors, a 292 and a 295. The 292 is nice, but the 295 is probably one of the most hollow blades I own. Even with it being a 4/8 blade, it still sings. If you ever decide to get rid of the 292, let me know!

Awesome find. That Taylor is the sleeper . It just says Sheffield without c of origin which marks it as an old pre 1891ish blade when they had to start stamping them with England of Germany due to a Trade law. I would not doubt that the scales are possibly a strange vintage whitish material that came from large African animals that was popular to use back in the day but illegal to trade now. If so the scales alone are worth a good bit. I want it! lol

The reason for the crazy prices for Red Imps is they were made by the same people who make the famous XX double forged Case and sons pocket knifes and the Case collectors go goo goo over em.

Last edited:
Blue, thanks for that great info. I will take a closer look at the Taylor to see if it is in fact the material you suggest. That one is in great shape too. Might not even need re pinning. Just some cleaning, polishing, and honing.

All nice acquisitions. I don't believe the Taylor is ivory, though, for two reasons. If you look closely at pic, you'll see the uniform, evenly spaced striations the full length of the scales which are typical for imitation material. Secondly, the pins have washers which was not typical for original ivory scales. It was probably rescaled, but the shape of the new scales is exactly the sort of shape one sees with ivory. I haven't seen that before. It's very eye catching.

All nice acquisitions. I don't believe the Taylor is ivory, though, for two reasons. If you look closely at pic, you'll see the uniform, evenly spaced striations the full length of the scales which are typical for imitation material. Secondly, the pins have washers which was not typical for original ivory scales. It was probably rescaled, but the shape of the new scales is exactly the sort of shape one sees with ivory. I haven't seen that before. It's very eye catching.

Yeah, I got home and those striations are totally even. Nice clean job though. The insides had a bunch of gunk so I unpinned them (all of them actually) and will slowly work through the bunch.

I see you've jumped straight away into the deep end. :thumbup: Nice score. You have some decent shavers there. All good looking razors. Looks like the'll all clean up well. Is that first W&B short or just long scales?

I like your use of the word "rescued" there. I might try that one on SWMBO next time some stuff arrives at home... "but Honey, they were due to be destroyed in two days had I not bought them....."

I see you've jumped straight away into the deep end. :thumbup: Nice score. You have some decent shavers there. All good looking razors. Looks like the'll all clean up well. Is that first W&B short or just long scales?

My guess is at some point the toe was damaged and it was cut down. It will be the first one I need to make new scales for (unless I want to repair the horn scales and shorten them too, there was a thread outlining the repair and I am trying that on some other scales soon).

Top Bottom