What's new

8/8 razors

I really like the look and feel of an 8/8 razor. I keep looking for a good one, but they are always over 500 dollars. I'm not criticizing those who prefer razors in this price range, but personally I can't do it. Is there any way to find one for under $200? or even under $100 that is worth a damn? I've noticed they don't seem to make any new ones, or atleast that I can find. Am I living a pipe dream, searching for something that doesn't exist?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Put a Want To Buy on the BST area of B&B....It has never failed me. Some member will offload a great blade too you reasonable I would bet.

Put a Want To Buy on the BST area of B&B....It has never failed me. Some member will offload a great blade too you reasonable I would bet.

Good idea. No more purchases for me this year with the holidays lurking, but I'll probably do this sometime next year if I don't stumble upon something cheap before then. Thanks

I've seen them pop up under $200 as long as you're not after a Wade and Butcher or Filarmonica. I think you'd struggle to find one for $100 but you never know, put out a wanted advert and you might be surprised.

http://www.shavingshop.com/index.ph....shavingshop.com/index.php?page=1&category=74

$329 for a 15/16?

View attachment 392307

I love my Wacker Gadsden 15/16. Heavy beast of a blade and only needs to be honed once every 6 months.

$wackermwf.jpg

I got an Aser for $10 on eBay.
It is 8/8 but of unknown origin. Might be indian. I have not bothered to hone it yet.
At some point curiosity might win over, but until then it is in my pile of random stuff I need to figure out what to do with.

On a more serious note, 8/8 Frameback are pretty common, and Vintage Framebacks are typically much more reasonably priced than their cousins. But the 8/8 includes the frame, so that's kinda cheating.

I love that Gadsden, I have been hunting one to save for, but alas, I haven't found one. Beautiful razor Sir!

I have not seen one in the wild. Only a few were made (fewer than 50). The Spanish point was pulled from the site about a month after I got mine, the other one was a French point IIRC and it was up for maybe 6 months more.

Those gadsden razors might be the coolest things I have ever seen.
I've also never tried a Wacker razor. I've read a lot of really mixed reviews about them. Beautiful looking designs though.

Those gadsden razors might be the coolest things I have ever seen.
I've also never tried a Wacker razor. I've read a lot of really mixed reviews about them. Beautiful looking designs though.

They are apparently sourced from more than one maker.
Joel's review seemed to indicate that they are a low-quality Boker, and I've seen other reviews reflecting that as well.
Mine is completely unlike any Dovo or Boker that I've seen. The blade is solid, very heavy, and while it feels and handles like a quarter-hollow, it sings like a full hollow.
The spine is very nicely rounded, and it takes a wicked edge... it is the only of my 8 razors that I can get to pass any kind of HHT, and like I said, I only need to hone it every 6 months or so.

Top Bottom