What's new

75 cent Tech, What's the date?

I picked my first vintage razor for 75 cents. I found a Gillette Tech (Z 4) in a box filled with Avon products. I pulled it out, along with some Wild Country (Avon) aftershave and asked the girl how much. I nearly fell over at her stated price, I could not pay quick enough.

Is the year 1954? The code (Z 4) matches with 1979 too but the cap looks similar to a photo I viewed of a 1966 Tech.

Also, there is some discoloration on the surface of the cap, it looks like someone took a match too it, like it is discolored due to heat. How can I remove the discoloration?

$IMG_0083.jpg

$IMG_0085.jpg

And it will give you a smooth-as-silk shave. All the Techs are great little shavers .. I always finish my shave with a Tech pass.

Right. Although the finish isn't in excellent condition it shaves very well, it's good for a 61 year old razor. I put a Feather in it and it shaves very nicely. I'm pleased.

How can I remove the discoloration?

I would start with a gentle wash with dish soap. I'm not sure what medal polish would to the frosted logo. If you are going to use it, it may wear off with time.

OK, to sum up, "I do not know."

Be particularly careful when cleaning the top cap. That appears to be one of the earlier zinc alloy (pot metal) pieces. They simply will not replate in a reliable manner, so be sure that you do not accudentally buff away any plated finish. Doing so, would ultimately expose the pot metal and start a world of problems!

What I call the "frosted" caps, have given me much grief in the past. The top caps that are the inverse of this type (etched logo, but smooth over the rest of the cap) are brass and will replate beautifully.

For the frosted top cap, keep it clean - avoid anything that would compromise the plating - and take care to dry it after use. All of these steps wil go a long way towards extending the functional and aesthetic lifespan of this razor!

Nice score and great price! Congrats.

Pay attention to what Chris (Nocuts...) says above about cleaning. He is the maestro of the replate.

Looks like my '54', had a great shave with mine this morning. Great find, and you will enjoy the shaves for sure.

I think it is 1979, I don't think they were putting the "Gillette" on the top cap until mid-60's. I may be wrong but, either way it is a great deal and should shave real nice. Congrats.

I think it is 1979, I don't think they were putting the "Gillette" on the top cap until mid-60's. I may be wrong but, either way it is a great deal and should shave real nice. Congrats.
Definitely not a 1979, by that time they were only making Techs with the faceted top caps made of pot metal. It's a '54 Tech.

Thanks for the input on my '54 Tech. I'll go easy on cleaning the cap. I've already scrubbed it with soap and water several times, and one time with scrubbing bubbles.

So far so good. I love this '54 "new to me" Tech. The corrosion went through the plated metal in a few spots, so I'm taking care that no more of the plating comes off. The discoloration on the frosted cap hasn't changed, I decided to live with it rather than risk making it worse. Still looking for the perfect blade for the razor.

Thanks for all the help guys. I keep going back to that thrift store looking for more razors, nothing more yet.

Top Bottom