What's new

72 hrc straight razor

i recently discovered this material from a forum member from my tool steel post. it has an hrc of 72, extremely fine microstructure and good toughness,. anyone have any idea what is would cost for a piece suitable for a straight razor. the crucible websight sucks when it comes time to figure out how on earth you place an order.

What material? All you put was the HRC.

I would suggest you just call CPM instead of trying to do it over the web so that you make sure you are ordering the right steel. I'm not sure but I doubt you can just buy a small piece from CPM directly, that's probably why you can't figure out how to order it on the site.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
So it is 72 HRC, before you start working it? Prepare yourself for a world of pain.

I made a razor out of a file once, without annealing it. It worked, but man, what a chore.

Normally you use soft steel, grind it to shape, heat treat it, then sharpen it.

I made a 10 inch fixed blade out of D2, mostly with a file and it was a SOB PITA and this stuff is much harder than D2. I wish you luck. If it hardens to 72 then it's still going to be hard as hell before you harden it. Be sure to post progress pic.

Here is another example of the old adage..

If a little is good, more is better, and too much is just right!

I used to use Rex 95 in my working career. High Speed Steel, but we didn't heat treat it ourselves. And, just because a steel can achieve very high Rockwell numbers does not make it the best material for a specific purpose... This is the reason that soooo many different alloys are produced.

Keep in mind that there is only two substances that can sharpen this steel when hardened.
Diamond & CBN, everything else is to soft, including AluOx, the key ingredient in all synthetic water stones.

A couple of other things to consider.....
REX121 has huge carbides, probably not capable of taking a shaving edge.
It's original purpose if for stamping machines, cutting & stamping metal all day.
The only maker that has made a blade from REX121, Farid, went thru ~25 2x72 belts to make on chopper knife.
A chopper is far less complex then a razor to grind..
Heat treat? Tempering? Who does that?

I'm all for experimentation, but do consider some things here...

There are waaaaaaay better options.
For example, I'd love to see a razor made from Hitatchi Blue Steel @ 64-65 HRC,
like Moritakas supreme series. That would be an awesome tool, that definitely can take a shaving sharp edge :yesnod:

Last edited:
okay honed, i may try that, but it says the rex 121 is very fine grain steel on the website. and suppose i want to try this "blue Steel" where would i acquire it :)

okay honed, i may try that, but it says the rex 121 is very fine grain steel on the website. and suppose i want to try this "blue Steel" where would i acquire it :) and also, the reason i want the rex 121 is because it would have to rarely be sharpened, it would probable take a much finere edge with its fine grain and high hardness and toughness

Top Bottom