What's new

70% or 91% isopropyl alcohol?

IMG_0400.JPG
Without the addition of 30% water, alcohol does not have the ability to penetrate the cell walls of most bacteria in order to kill them. So if your main concern is killing germs, I'd go with 70%, but if that's not an issue and you're just looking to clean off some built up gunk, 91% would be the better option. I've actually never heard of anyone using alcohol to dry a safety razor though.

Last edited:
I think the greater importance is the alcohol may extend the life of a carbon blade by retarding blade rust. This may be more of a problem with SE carbon blades.

there are alcohols now that is 99% even 100% feels like paper when you touch it. its made to break certain type of oils for example help oil. personally i wash my razor right after use even before i rinse face off, and dry it with a towel and blow dry it dry and put it back in its place. then i rinse my face.

on another note, if you want to disinfect a razor, i would use hydrogen peroxide instead of alcohol. not the stuff in a brown bottle you get from a drug store though. something that is 20 to 30 % proof.

something like this
Hydrogen Peroxide, 30%, Reagent Grade, 500 mL | Carolina.com

I think the greater importance is the alcohol may extend the life of a carbon blade by retarding blade rust. This may be more of a problem with SE carbon blades.

probably, but, i could be wrong, alcohol, at the end of the day cost more then SE carbon blades anyway. what alcohol could do for you is it can clean the razor better as appose to tap water which contains hard metals like calcium and magnesium. which can cause rust over time. ( amount of time depends on material and care). so you can use alcohol to keep your razor in tip top shape. or you can use distilled water.

here is a picture of a stainless steel feather as ds left in a place where water periodically splashed on it. for about 4 months.
IMG_0253.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg

probably, but, i could be wrong, alcohol, at the end of the day cost more then SE carbon blades anyway. what alcohol could do for you is it can clean the razor better as appose to tap water which contains hard metals like calcium and magnesium. which can cause rust over time. ( amount of time depends on material and care). so you can use alcohol to keep your razor in tip top shape. or you can use distilled water.

here is a picture of a stainless steel feather as ds left in a place where water periodically splashed on it. for about 4 months. View attachment 991432 View attachment 991434

That AS-D2 looks like it was left in a saltwater fish tank for a couple year. Shame to see it look that way.

I don't use rubbing alcohol for sterilization purposes. Rather, I dip the head of the razor with the blade in it to be sure the blade is thoroughly dry.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I keep 91% alcohol in a small spray bottle. After shaving and rinsing the razor, since it's already wet after rinsing, I just simply mist the razor and blade with the bottle of alcohol and hang up the razor for the next time.

To evaporate water any concentration should work fine really.

To disinfect 70% is usually considered the magic number and used over higher numbers for two reasons: time and penetration. 100% alcohol will denature proteins almost instantly, which will then coagulate and form a protective barrier. In addition, water content slows evaporation and helps prolong contact time.

As for me, after a shave it goes back on a stand or on the counter to dry.

To evaporate water any concentration should work fine really.

To disinfect 70% is usually considered the magic number and used over higher numbers for two reasons: time and penetration. 100% alcohol will denature proteins almost instantly, which will then coagulate and form a protective barrier. In addition, water content slows evaporation and helps prolong contact time.

This ^^^.
I had read an article long ago that stated the 70% was more effective for disinfecting due to the slower evap. rate.
50% is considered germicidal.

on another note, if you want to disinfect a razor, i would use hydrogen peroxide instead of alcohol. not the stuff in a brown bottle you get from a drug store though. something that is 20 to 30 % proof.
Hydrogen peroxide is definitely good stuff, but I don't want it near any metals that could potentially oxidize. Barbacide is a strong disinfectant and it's safe to use on metals. If it's good enough for the professionals, it's probably good enough for home use.

. . . But that's just when I need a "heavy hitter;" I still use 91% isopropyl on a day-to-day basis for reducing mineral deposition on my razors.

Hydrogen peroxide is definitely good stuff, but I don't want it near any metals that could potentially oxidize. Barbacide is a strong disinfectant and it's safe to use on metals. If it's good enough for the professionals, it's probably good enough for home use.

. . . But that's just when I need a "heavy hitter;" I still use 91% isopropyl on a day-to-day basis for reducing mineral deposition on my razors.

good point. im not an expert on oxidation. im only an expert in disinfecting.

Top Bottom