What's new

7 o'clock yellow vs Polisilver

These are two blades I have been going back and forth on.

How have they performed for you? Preference?

The Polisilvers seem a bit rough the first shave, but last longer than the yellows, I think. Maybe.

Thoughts?

Both are great blades in my book. The Gillette Yellow is my favourite blade at the moment. I can get 20 very close and comfortable shaves from a Gillette Yellow and could probably stretch it a bit if I needed to. The most I can get from the Polsilver is about 10.

Most blades tend to have some roughness on the first shave, don't let that put you off. It's usually minor and is gone in a few strokes. Start on your cheeks as the skin is usually tougher and evens out the blade.

Well, when I was using modern blades both of the above named blades were on my regular list. I never got more than 4 or 5 uses out of any blade back then but as far as comfort and closeness goes it was a toss up for me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
These are two blades I have been going back and forth on.

How have they performed for you? Preference?

The Polisilvers seem a bit rough the first shave, but last longer than the yellows, I think. Maybe.

Thoughts?

First pass ATG buffing in my Grande at 48+ hours growth its a toss up. Yellows are smoother out of the wrapper, Polsilver maybe a tiny bit sharper but with a lot more blade feel.

A single Yellow went 9 shaves like that for me, but started to tug at 7. A Polsilver at its 4th shave was as smooth and as sharp as a fresh Yellow and got smoother, and sharper, as I used it. It became a tiny bit harsh at shave 8 and again at shave 12. From shave 12 to 20 is was the same as a fresh Yellow.

It had a lot of shaves left in it when I tossed it at 20. @Cal used a single Polsilver to 120 shaves!

120 shaves on a Polsilver Super Iridium,
upload_2017-6-1_0-59-2-png.793257

and done. :001_smile

First pass ATG buffing in my Grande at 48+ hours growth its a toss up. Yellows are smoother out of the wrapper, Polsilver maybe a tiny bit sharper but with a lot more blade feel.

A single Yellow went 9 shaves like that for me, but started to tug at 7. A Polsilver at its 4th shave was as smooth and as sharp as a fresh Yellow and got smoother, and sharper, as I used it. It became a tiny bit harsh at shave 8 and again at shave 12. From shave 12 to 20 is was the same as a fresh Yellow.

It had a lot of shaves left in it when I tossed it at 20. @Cal used a single Polsilver to 120 shaves!

That's crazy i have never used a blade more than twice just because they are so cheap hmmm. May have to try it

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's crazy i have never used a blade more than twice just because they are so cheap hmmm. May have to try it

Below is that 20th shave;

Polsilver shave #20.

Blade flipped.

52 hours since last shave. CC North cream.

ATG first pass buffing like usual and I wondered why it felt a bit tuggy. I guess at 52 hours growth and starting directly ATG thats allowed lol. Still not bad though and the blade did fine.

One ATG buffing pass, one clean up pass and two little touch ups with water only. BBS without issue.

All is well in crazy town lol.

bf0do-jpg.849774

Shaving every other day, call it 183 shaves per year. I have at least 140 Polsilver blades left. Even using one blade a month I have an 11 1/2 year supply of Polsilver blades alone, not to mention 190 Derby Extra and 190 Feathers and this one blade is already past the one month mark and I'm still shaving first pass ATG. I had thought the sharpness might fall off and I'd need to start a more traditional shave first pass WTG/XTG, but not yet.

I started this blade Nov. 28.

I'm now on the 5th week and it shows no signs of slowing down and in fact, has improved. Its still very nearly as sharp as it was fresh and a whole bunch smoother.

The 200 blades cost me CAD$43.16 total. Thats $0.216 per blade. At 20 shaves this blade has cost me $0.010. A full 5 weeks shaves for a penny. People say this type of shaving doesnt save money. Think again.

I dont remember offhand what the total cost of my Grande was, but it was close enough to $50 to call it that. Under CAD$100 for the best DE razor made in my opinion and 200 of one of the best blades made, and you're good for ten years.

I find the yellows to be smoother and just as sharp. I can get at least 20 shaves from the yellows not so with the polsilvers.

Both are great blades in my opinion but i greatly prefer the Polsilver S.I.

Both the 7 O'clocks and the Polsilvers are produced in the same St. Petersburg factory, but the Polsilvers are produced with a different manufacturing equipment, relocated to Russia when Gillette bought the Wizamet plant in Lódz, Poland.
I guess the only difference between the vintage Wizamet and the new Polsilver S.I. is the stainless steel used. I believe Gillette buys large quantity of steel from Sweden and it may be a totally different origin from the one used in the past in Poland.

Gillette refurbished Lódz plant:
proxy.php

Nowadays DE blades are no longer produced in the Polish Lódz factory. Only Fusion and Mach3 cartridges, Sensor3 disposables and the still acclaimed Sensor Excel cartridges.

Polish soccer star Robert Lewandowski visits the Gillette plant:
proxy.php

Both are great blades in my opinion but i greatly prefer the Polsilver S.I.

Both the 7 O'clocks and the Polsilvers are produced in the same St. Petersburg factory, but the Polsilvers are produced with a different manufacturing equipment, relocated to Russia when Gillette bought the Wizamet plant in Lódz, Poland.
I guess the only difference between the vintage Wizamet and the new Polsilver S.I. is the stainless steel used. I believe Gillette buys large quantity of steel from Sweden and it may be a totally different origin from the one used in the past in Poland.

Gillette refurbished Lódz plant:
proxy.php

Nowadays DE blades are no longer produced in the Polish Lódz factory. Only Fusion and Mach3 cartridges, Sensor3 disposables and the still acclaimed Sensor Excel cartridges.

Polish soccer star Robert Lewandowski visits the Gillette plant:
proxy.php
Thanks for taking the time to share this.

My only question now, would be to know what other blades are made on the former Lodz equipment?

Top Bottom