What's new

7 o'clock Blues

I bough some of these blades last week and they arrived this afternoon, after I had already shaved, of course...
There was a thread about them on here a while ago but I had never actually seen them for sale until last week.
Anybody ever use this version before? They come from St. Petersburg with glue dots and all.
If they are anything like the yellows I will be pleased.

proxy.php

I didn't know that they existed until I read your post. I haven't seen them for sale anywhere. I'll have to have a look out now that you have piqued my interest.

Another member here found some available locally, but that was the only time I've seen the blues anywhere.

I bough some of these blades last week and they arrived this afternoon, after I had already shaved, of course...
There was a thread about them on here a while ago but I had never actually seen them for sale until last week.
Anybody ever use this version before? They come from St. Petersburg with glue dots and all.
If they are anything like the yellows I will be pleased.

proxy.php

These appear to be identical to the Super Platinum (black packs) sold in India. They will shave well if they are made to the same specification but not quite as good as the SharpEdge version.

These appear to be identical to the Super Platinum (black packs) sold in India. They will shave well if they are made to the same specification but not quite as good as the SharpEdge version.

AFAIK they are made to the same specs. I prefer the Blacks over the Yellows, but that is me.

AFAIK they are made to the same specs. I prefer the Blacks over the Yellows, but that is me.

Like in all things, YMMV. IYO, how do the Blacks compare to Super Iridiums? I found the Yellows to be not as good and slightly overrated when compared to the Super Iridium.

Like in all things, YMMV. IYO, how do the Blacks compare to Super Iridiums? I found the Yellows to be not as good and slightly overrated when compared to the Super Iridium.

In my experience, the black Super Platinum blades are smooth but don't stay sharp for very long. By the third shave, they have degraded noticeably and I would not use them for a fourth. Some people have precisely the opposite experience with them and find them to be very long lasting.

The yellow Sharp Edge blades are very sharp and very smooth. They give me three shaves, which is what I get from the majority of blades. I have one razor in which the blade didn't perform well, unless I happened to have a bad blade on that occasion.

The green Permasharps are the best all-round performers for me. They are certainly sharp and smooth enough but they last longer as well. I get a minimum of four shaves from them before I notice any degradation of the blade. It's possible for me to get five or six shaves out of them.

The green Super Stainless blades (from Russia) are quite sharp but not as smooth as the other 7 O'Clock blades. There isn't much in it but if I use one until I have finished with it (three shaves), I will use something else next in order not to risk irritating my skin.

Super Iridium blades are sharp enough but not very smooth. I don't find them a comfortable shave, although it did take me a while to get used to the green Super Stainless blades and I suspect I could get used to the Super Iridium as well. I have read a number of comments from people saying that they can't tell the difference between the two.

The Permasharps are easily the best value for me whereas the Super Platinums are not cost-effective due to their short lifespan coupled with the higher price.

All of the above blades are outclassed by the Vietnamese Gillette Super Thin Platinums in sharpness, smoothness and cost effectiveness.

+1

To me the Blacks and Super Iridiums were similar and both were better than the Yellows.

So far I have had three shaves with the same blade and it has not started pulling or tugging. I will have shave number four later today. I usually only get 2 shaves out of any blade that I use due to my wire like stubble. During the first shave I could not feel the blade cutting and I had to check to make sure that it was actually working. The blade did not have as much audible feedback as an Iridium or Souplex. But the blade was doing its job and the whiskers were soon gone.

This blade felt very smooth in my DE89L during my first shave. I put it in the R41 for the second shave and it was still very smooth. For me, these blades feel sharper and smoother than both Yellow SharpEdge and Iridiums, but YMMV. I have not used the Black Super Plats in about a year but I ordered some so that I may do a proper comparison of the two.

I will post some more impressions once I get a few more shaves in.

Last edited:

+1

For me the Blacks and SI's are about equal in performance, both are sharp and smooth. I can get three comfortable shaves per blade from both.

Are the Blacks and the Blues the same blade? Just made in different locations?

+1
Are the Blacks and the Blues the same blade? Just made in different locations?

So far it looks that way, I will report back once I have had a shave with both.

It has been a while since I used the Blacks but I do remember them being great blades.

To me, the "sharpness ranking" currently is:
yellow "Sharpdege"
black "Platinum"
red "Superthin"
Super Iridiums
I haven't tried the greens yet

these are all pretty similar for me, yellow being a TOUCH sharper, but not as smooth as the blacks, the Superthin and Super Iridiums not QUITE as sharp as the first 2. Right now, I like the blacks the best, they seem to SLICE the stubble off more smoothly, which gives a really nice tactile and audio feedback :001_smile The blacks are similar, in this regard to Feathers, with the Feather being a sharper blade. Where did you find the blue box version? How much did they cost? The blacks are pretty expensive, up there with Feathers, I ordered some from India (ebay) recently, ended up being .31 ea.

Last edited:
How much did they cost? The blacks are pretty expensive, up there with Feathers, I ordered some from India (ebay) recently, ended up being .31 ea.

The Russian Blue Super Platinum are expensive, they cost me $40 shipped for 100 from dridiot.

I paid about the same for my Timor and Souplex blades.

Last edited:
Chris, your comments on the 7 O'Clock Russian Blues captured my interest, so I ordered some. The Iridium is my favorite, consistently providing me with a week and a half of smooth, close shaves. I was curious as to how the Blues would compare, and, for me, they came up a bit short. The Blues are very nice blades, some of the smoothest I've ever used. However, the cut wasn't quite as close as the Iridium, and the blade began to falter on shave number seven.

Still, I found it to be a very nice blade, just a step below the magical Super Iridium.

Regards,

I recently ordered two packs of five to try. I didn't get on so well with Iridiums but I like all the Gillette branded blades I have used so far. It'll be interesting to compare them.

Top Bottom