What's new

7 o’clock and perma-sharp

I just shave, same as I have since about 1975. All ATG, shaved for years in the shower without soap.

When you are a starving graduate student you learn to make things last, I guess.

Never counted shaves, but I don't remember buying razor blades very often. Used my Grandpa's Schick injector for years until I couldn't find blades for it any more, then used a variety of cartridges, last ones were Bic triple blade, usually lasted six or eight weeks per.

I think the key is to find the exact angle at which the blade is cutting at maximum efficiency -- just clearance on the skin side, as close to perpendicular to the base of the hair as possible. This directs all the force from cutting the hair into the body of the blade rather than sideways on the very thin and brittle edge. The less damage to the edge you cause per shave the longer they stay sharp.

I just shave, same as I have since about 1975. All ATG, shaved for years in the shower without soap.

When you are a starving graduate student you learn to make things last, I guess.

Never counted shaves, but I don't remember buying razor blades very often. Used my Grandpa's Schick injector for years until I couldn't find blades for it any more, then used a variety of cartridges, last ones were Bic triple blade, usually lasted six or eight weeks per.
Back when I used cartridges I would "strop" the cartridge on a towel that really helped them last.

Top Bottom