What's new

7 o’clock and perma-sharp

Greetings,

I believe you’re referring to the Gillette 7 o’clock yellows (sharp edge) vs. Gillette 7 o’clock green (super stainless and perma sharp)

Yellow Sharp edge are made in Russia.

Green super stainless are also made in Russia.

The Green perma sharp’s are made in India.

As far as how they perform, I’ve never used the greens in either variant. My memory of the yellows was when I first started this journey back in 2008 and they were a tad rough on my face. Also because my technique was garbage.

Brad

what’s the difference in the gold pack perma-sharps and the green 7 o’clock perma-sharp?

A few years back many raved on forums about the Gillette Indian 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless. Nowadays you rarely read a word about them. I tried a tuck years ago and they did not suit me, but as always YMMV. The same for the gold box Perma-Sharp. I love the Russian 7 O'Clock Super Stainless and the Indian 7 O'Clock Super Platinum. I also love the 7 O'Clock SharpEdge.

It just dawned on me that the OP is probably asking about the image below. I know almost nothing about these blades.

Sorry about that.

proxy.php

Yeah that’s the ones. Then the green 7 o’clock has a perma sharp. What’s the difference?

The ones in the photo are Russian and the Gillette Green 7 o’clock Perma Sharps come from India.

There’s also a green Gillette 7 o’clock super stainless (Also Russian) just to confuse things a bit more.

As far as performance for any of them, there’s a few mixed reviews. I’ve never personally shaved with any of them.

I recently bought some 7 O'clock Permasharp (Indian Greens). I'm currently using GSBs, Yellows, Israeli Reds and Blue Diamonds. The Indian greens are much better than I expected (for me, YMMV). Happy to add them to my preferred blades.

It just dawned on me that the OP is probably asking about the image below. I know almost nothing about these blades.

Sorry about that.

proxy.php
I've loved these blades. However, the last ones I received from Amazon had no printing on the blade itself. Unlike what I had previously received. Also, where can one order the Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharps?

I've loved these blades. However, the last ones I received from Amazon had no printing on the blade itself. Unlike what I had previously received. Also, where can one order the Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharps?
I just received 100 of these perma-sharp gold pack. Now says gillette on the tucks.
Blade is lasered instead of printed and main card of tucks says perma-sharp stainless not super.
Manufacture date dec 2018.
Weirded me out but I guess they changed packaging.
Some of my newer gillettes manufactured in 2020 seem like they went back to printing on the blades again. I know they all went to laser for a while.

what’s the difference in the gold pack perma-sharps and the green 7 o’clock perma-sharp?
The gold pack are made in Russia (Saint Petersburg PPI plant). This Perma-Sharp Super brand was originally made in Turkey and these are sold there instead of the older blades.

The green pack Perma-Sharps are made in India. They are very inexpensive there.

They don't shave the same, try them both is my advice. The greens are a very smooth blade that can be a good choice in more aggressive razors. They don't seem to last as long as the Russian 7 O'clock yellows. The gold is a sharper blade than the green with better longevity. One of the better PPI blades, along with Nacet, GSB, IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.

Last edited:
The Gillette perma sharp super - the one in the gold box were originally Turkish now made in St Petersburg and made mainly for the Turkish market.

They have a justified reputation for being wicked sharp, in fact one of the sharpest out there.

IMO they’re also very smooth and I’m up to seven count on my current blade.

They’re the only blade I use now.

The green permasharp are made in India and I don’t much like them at all
For me the difference is chalk and cheese

I don’t think the gold tucks get anything like the praise they deserve but I am biased I suppose

Try them both neither are expensive and have fun deciding which you like best

I'm working on a 7 O'Clock Permasharp right now, 67 shaves in. Should get 100 or so, barring accidents, so above average. Not the closest shave I've ever had, but a good blade and really inexpensive.

I have not tried the PermaSharp Super -- it's on the list, but a decade or so away I think.

I'm working on a 7 O'Clock Permasharp right now, 67 shaves in. Should get 100 or so, barring accidents, so above average. Not the closest shave I've ever had, but a good blade and really inexpensive.

I have not tried the PermaSharp Super -- it's on the list, but a decade or so away I think.
That's crazy!!! Is there anything special you guys do to make these blades last so long? Stropping or something?
I've read the excalibur thread and it's just nuts!!!

Top Bottom