What's new

7 Fold Ties

I was at my usual haberdashery--Syms discount clothing <g>--last night and I noticed they had a number of ties said to be 7 fold, for $19.95 and $24.95 each. (The prices are actually realatively high for Syms. They have some amazingly dscounted prices for various well-known brands.)

The brands were Peter M illar (sp?) and Burma Bibas. I though the latter was really a Nordstrum's brand but I got a hit for Men's Wearhouse for this brand of ties, too. They are marked made in China.

I have had a least one 7 fold tie in the distant past but from a maker I knew well, and it was very expensive and interesting. A seven fold tie is supposedly made all of the same silk without a separate tyupe of cloth for the lining. These ties seem nice, but their construction seems a bit differrent than that older 7 fold tie. However, I looked at some other 7 fold ties on line, and "Kiton" for instance seems to have this same construction in their 7 fold ties. For instance, I recall as to the older tie, that the silk was finished on the edges, but that there really was not separately stitched lining. These and the Kiton, seem to have a stitched-in lining, or at least the cloth stitched together to form something like a lining, albeit the same cloth as the rest of the tie.

Also, as I recall, my older tie was rather thin overall, owing I suppose to it being simply a number of layers of thinner silk with no lining, whereas these ties are quite thick. Not sure I do not like thick better, although they also do not taper as much as many of my ties, and seem to call for a thin knot, like a four-in-hand to keep from coming out with an enormous knot that takes up too much of the length of the tie.

There seems to be some assertion that a 7 fold tie naturally ties and "drapes" better than a tie constructed in the usual way.

Wikipedia has some write-up on 7 folds, but also refers to 6 fold ties, which it seems to say actually tie and drape better than 7 folds. I have never seen a 6 fold tie that I am aware of.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts or information on 7 fold ties or related matters? Are they supposed to be better in some way? If so, how? Do these sound like they are truly 7 fold ties or is this some marketing angle that is not authentic? How about the thickness? Thoughts on ties that do not taper much and what knot to use?

Does anyone have any thoughts on these brands? On 6 folds?

I am wearing a Peter Millar today and I bought a Burma Bibas as well. Despite the price difference in the two brands at Syms--and I am not sure which of the brands had the higher price--I would not be surprised at all to find out these ties were made by exactly the same folks. The construction of the Peter Millar, which is the only one I have at hand, seems very, very good, with very even stitching and clean uniform folds and lines absolutel everywhere. A very carefully securely sewn in tie keeper and a separate brand label, similarly carefully and securely sewn as well. It lays uniformly very flattly without looking like it was mashed into flatness with an iron or press. The edges are rounded, not creased. It has thin regularly spaced violet blue pencil (if that is the word) stripes with little embrodiered emblems in between double sets of stripes, which have very fine details, but which are extremely uniform and show no signs of tiny threads pulling away or anything like that. The silk itself and its colors are very vibrant, and the silk is tightly woven. To me it has that just slightly semi-gloss sheen that really nice silk ties seem to have. Not too, too shiny and cerrtainly not flat. Almost a "glow" I guess.

Interesting, the Burma Bibas, which all seemed to be dual-color uniform striped, seemed to be intentionally a little dulled down color-wise. Not that the silk did not seem of good quality, but the colors seemed to intentionally have some gray in then so as not to be so bright. More Brioni and less Brooks Brothers--less Brit anm more Italian perhaps, although I probably tend toward those brightly colored BB-type rep ties.

Why do I have the feeling that next time I swing by Syms there will not be any left??!!

But pleas, any thoughts and knowledge anyone has!

I've never owned a 7 Fold Tie, but I have looked at them at places like Saks and some other higher end department stores. If I remember correctly, it was a Robert Talbott I was drooling one when they ran me out.

There was a time when I was interested in learning how to make a 7 Fold Tie. I found a pattern on line and got some cheap silky fabrics to practice. Not my forte to say the least.

Syms is one of my regular places to look for inexpensive nice clothing. A couple of years ago I lucked into several Purple Label shirts for a steal. I once picked up 4 suits for less than $300 during one of their bash events. I may need to go by there to look for a new tie.:drool:

Thanks, pfbarney! I was beginning to think that no one cared! B&B needs a guy that would consider learning to fold his own ties.

But you are confirming my recollection that sevven fold ties do not usually have this sewn in lining aspect, albeit a lining made of the same material.

I think you are right about Robert Talbott, too. I saw a reference somewhere to the 7 fold tie being completely dead until Robert Talbott brought back a very limited number. I think I read that those ties sell completely out every years and they seemed amazingly expensive.

Where are you located geographically? I am in the Washington, DC area. I got the ties the other day at the Seven Corners SYMS in No Va. I was over at the Rockville, MD SYMS store specifically for these ties on Saturday, but they had only the striped Burma Biras ones, but they had lots of them, however only in a few color combinations. Far as I could tell the Rockville store had none of the Millars. (Hope I am getting those names correct.) The Millars are a bit more expensive at SYMS than the Biras, but they are more interesting to me and seem just a bit finer. The detail on the tiny insigna on the one I bought is amazingly precise and finely wrought.

Anyway, I am going to go back over to 7 Corners when I get a chance.

I like SYMS a lot. Sometimes they have amazing things and their sales are even crazier inexpensive. On the other hand, as often as not, they do not seem to have anything I am interested in on a particular day. I find that many times you need to be willing to grab up what seems really good. I cannot remember ever being burned by anything I have bought there. I am still wearing some Burberry suits I got there years ago, at amzing prices, when anything else I bought from anywhere arouund that time is long gone as worn out!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A 7-fold tie is supposed to be unlined ... simply a large piece of silk (about a square yard IIRC) folded onto itself. Some makers actually sell lined, 'six fold' ties as 'sevenfold' ... and to add to the confusion some necktie fans prefer a lined sixfold to an unlined sevenfold.

Ultimately it all boils down to the quality of the material and construction, and the style (or lack thereof) of the fabric pattern ... I'd take a GOOD 'regular' tie from Drake's over a mediocre attempt at a 7-fold, anyday.

A 7-fold tie is supposed to be unlined ... simply a large piece of silk (about a square yard IIRC) folded onto itself. Some makers actually sell lined, 'six fold' ties as 'sevenfold' ... and to add to the confusion some necktie fans prefer a lined sixfold to an unlined sevenfold.

Ultimately it all boils down to the quality of the material and construction, and the style (or lack thereof) of the fabric pattern ... I'd take a GOOD 'regular' tie from Drake's over a mediocre attempt at a 7-fold, anyday.

I am definitely with you on that last paragraph. I really see no inherent advantage of a 7 fold tie over a well/proper;ly contructed regular tie. Maybe a six fold tie has advantages, I do not know. Far as I can tell, any well made tie ties nicely and looks good. The consistent pattern throughout on these recent ties, has some charm, I guess. But I sure would not trade that for poor construction!

That post you link to is one of the coolest posts I've ever seen anywhere. I'd love to see a similar one on the difference between a full bespoke suit vs. fused, etc.

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

I fully agree with you, it is a really good explanation, and also would like to see more like this about other issues, like fuse/bespoke, or fully canvased vs not, etc...

Great link. This Peter Millar so-called 7 fold tie is clearly a self-tipped, lined (or partially lined) six -fold. In fact it may be that the six-fold part only goes up so far from the tip of the tie.

I hope no one thinks I think what I bought at Syms is in the sme league as the ties discussed at that link! What I got is a nice tie for the money, but I am not fooling myself!

Last edited:
Where are you located geographically? I am in the Washington, DC area. I got the ties the other day at the Seven Corners SYMS in No Va. I was over at the Rockville, MD SYMS store specifically for these ties on Saturday, but they had only the striped Burma Biras ones, but they had lots of them, however only in a few color combinations. Far as I could tell the Rockville store had none of the Millars. (Hope I am getting those names correct.) The Millars are a bit more expensive at SYMS than the Biras, but they are more interesting to me and seem just a bit finer. The detail on the tiny insigna on the one I bought is amazingly precise and finely wrought.

Anyway, I am going to go back over to 7 Corners when I get a chance.

I like SYMS a lot. Sometimes they have amazing things and their sales are even crazier inexpensive. On the other hand, as often as not, they do not seem to have anything I am interested in on a particular day. I find that many times you need to be willing to grab up what seems really good. I cannot remember ever being burned by anything I have bought there. I am still wearing some Burberry suits I got there years ago, at amzing prices, when anything else I bought from anywhere arouund that time is long gone as worn out!

I'm in Atlanta. I have 2 SYMS stores here, one in Norcross and the other in Marietta. I have found more at the Norcross store than the Marietta store in the past. Lately when I've stopped in there it has been for nylon socks or hats. They have pretty good deals on hats usually...when they have decent hats that is. I used to buy a lot of stuff there that I only wore once or twice or never. I have a Hickey Freeman tie that still has the tags on it. Beautiful tie, just no occasion to wear it yet. I have always been pleased with my purchases too.

This thread got me talking to my wife about 7 fold ties. She's now looking at learning how to make them and trying to locate a good resource for silk. Who knows, I may get to send out some samples one day of our very own 7 Folds.:wink2:

So I have been back to both local Syms stores--Rockville, MD, and Seven Corners, VA-- since my first post, mostly looking for these "seven fold" (really six fold) ties.

Not sure anyone cares, but I thought I would report.

Maybe I misread the Peter Millar labels, but what Syms has now in that brand seem to say "hand folded tie" not "seven-fold" tie. But they appear to be a lined six-fold tie. Rockvell had none and Seven Corners only a few, but in a interesting array of patterns, some not too conventional. Some fairly standard but usually with something that takes them out of say Brooks Brothers range of styles. They are quite thick, but the fabric and detailinng seems quite good. In each case the thinner end off the tie that goes behind, on these is relatively wide and the tie over all tapers less that most ties do in the front. I like them a lot and bought 3 or 4 more, one of which I was really drawn to.

Rockville the Burma Bibas only in the muted stripes I talked about below. A whole bunch of essentially the same patterns and colors. Seven Corrners, though, while it stil had some of the muted stripes, had a large number of BB ties in various colors of what I think of as 1930s ties. Kind of an irridescent (sp?) silk generally with geometric patterns. Nice looking with the right suit, but not what I am generally looking for. Still labelled seven-fold, but still clearly lined six-fold. Not as thick as the Peter Millars and while somewhat less tapered than most of my ties, not as distinctly so as the Millars and without the short end of the tie being so distinctly wide. I bought another couple of the muted striped ones.

Syms also had a number of Canali and similar brond ties for about $60. Fairly nice. Probably not the very latest styles. Nothing that made me want to spend $60 on them.

Not much else goiing on there. I did not look at suits. Really nice pocket squares for $5 to $10. Whereas for awhile recently they had lots of good styles and lots of pairs in Allen Edmunds shoes for $159 a pair, at 7 Corners, anyway, they had only a handful of one style which seemed way out of style to me for $179.

I have liked the hats there in the past, too. Although I do not really end up wearing a hat. They had a bunch that seemed okay but not quite there this time. Good prices, but not really quality hats anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom