What's new

7 day set

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A true gentleman would have a matching seven-day set. That way he obtains consistent shave quality, consistent maintenance with each razor, and can better assess the relevant edge quality on each razor.

Others who don't normally mix in polite company, might have an unmatched set or less than seven in their set.

Conformity to an invented norm?

Just pulling your leg of course.

I would never begrudge another man’s right to any ostentatious display of wealth that he may deem to be necessary. I merely inquire to determine if there is any logic by which I could justify such an extravagance in my own den. Sadly in this case, seven days worth of the same thing excites me about as much as seven days worth underpants labelled with individual days of the week. I wish you the best of luck with your sets but I will stick to variety. Just remember a gentleman is defined by his actions, not his possessions.

Legion

Staff member
I would never begrudge another man’s right to any ostentatious display of wealth that he may deem to be necessary. I merely inquire to determine if there is any logic by which I could justify such an extravagance in my own den. Sadly in this case, seven days worth of the same thing excites me about as much as seven days worth underpants labelled with individual days of the week. I wish you the best of luck with your sets but I will stick to variety. Just remember a gentleman is defined by his actions, not his possessions.
this. Why would you pay extra for seven of the same razor when you could buy seven different razors to use and play with? Or maybe pay seven times as much on one extravagant razor? Either of those two options makes way more sense to me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I would never begrudge another man’s right to any ostentatious display of wealth that he may deem to be necessary. ....

My 7DS is not for display. It will be for my own personal use.

Sadly in this case, seven days worth of the same thing excites me about as much as seven days worth underpants labelled with individual days of the week.

Something I never thought of. Hmmm, maybe another project to aim for.

I wish you the best of luck with your sets but I will stick to variety.

Thank you.

Just remember a gentleman is defined by his actions, not his possessions.

Oh so true.

Yes, but at USD 2 k to 3k not cheap. You should be able to make up your own set for less than USD 100 plus the cost of your 7 razors.

They are by no means cheap. Then again to me part of the charm with a seven day set is that they are marked with the weekdays and sold in a box specially made for the set. Having stated that I don't own a seven day set, have never owned one and will never own one unless such a set is given to me by my fairy godmother.

However nice it would to be to own such a set I prefer to have seven very different but still nice razors, Variety is the spice of life. Then again we do all have different budget restraints and preferences.

RegularSmugFoxhound-size_restricted.gif

7DS existed for a number of reasons.

1). They were a status symbol. If you had the throwaway income to blow on a seven-day set, you almost certainly had a valet who could maintain it for you. Anybody will be able to tell you that these things cost a small fortune, even if you buy them secondhand. I paid $300.00 for mine, and I consider that cheap!

shave02.jpg

2). They reduced the frequency of sharpening and stropping, thereby prolonging the life of the blades.

3). Blade-sharpening wasn't done at home in those days. And if it was, then almost certainly not by the owner. Either the valet did it, or the valet knew someone else who could do it (most likely the local barber or knife-grinder).

4). Seven day sets were also convenient when traveling. Remember that people traveled for a LONG time back then. If you were going from America to Europe, or vice-versa, and home again, that was at least two weeks away, not including the actual trip. So you needed something that was going to last. Rather than run around buying disposable blades, it was just easier to bring your own set.

7DS existed for a number of reasons.

1). They were a status symbol. If you had the throwaway income to blow on a seven-day set, you almost certainly had a valet who could maintain it for you. Anybody will be able to tell you that these things cost a small fortune, even if you buy them secondhand. I paid $300.00 for mine, and I consider that cheap!

View attachment 1076531

2). They reduced the frequency of sharpening and stropping, thereby prolonging the life of the blades.

3). Blade-sharpening wasn't done at home in those days. And if it was, then almost certainly not by the owner. Either the valet did it, or the valet knew someone else who could do it (most likely the local barber or knife-grinder).

4). Seven day sets were also convenient when traveling. Remember that people traveled for a LONG time back then. If you were going from America to Europe, or vice-versa, and home again, that was at least two weeks away, not including the actual trip. So you needed something that was going to last. Rather than run around buying disposable blades, it was just easier to bring your own set.

Great set! I’ve acquired 7 matching straights now but don’t have the days:ouch1: Does it matter if your straights are of a lesser known but still vintage make? Mine are HM Christensen/T. Noonan & Sons from Brockton, Mass.

Great reasoning. I’ve personally pondered about the same advantage for during travel at lengths. Being a young blood, are we allowed to transport them in checked baggage?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Great set! I’ve acquired 7 matching straights now but don’t have the days:ouch1: Does it matter if your straights are of a lesser known but still vintage make? Mine are HM Christensen/T. Noonan & Sons from Brockton, Mass.

Great reasoning. I’ve personally pondered about the same advantage for during travel at lengths. Being a young blood, are we allowed to transport them in checked baggage?
Brand name or even vintage doesn't matter to me. They should be first and foremost a tool with which to shave. Second is that I like them to look good. A matching set has the advantage that they have common maintenance requirements.

As for traveling, yes they are allowed in checked baggage, provided they are secured so that the blade cannot come out and injury a "bag-snatcher" (baggage handler).

A matching set has the advantage
There is also a modern day advantage that no one has mentioned yet. Having a seven day set eliminates the need for daily razor maintenance and can help you get ready more quickly in the mornings.

Instead of stropping and honing one razor daily, you can prepare seven razors for the week ahead in one sitting. This would cut serious time out of your morning routine and is more time efficient overall.

Instead of getting your gear out and packing it up everyday you just do it once a week. Run each blade over the canvas strop, put it back. Run each blade over the leather strop, put it back. Run each blade over your balsa strop, put it back. Quick refresh of each blade on the leather, pack everything away and your good to go for the next week!

I could be sold on this idea after all. You are really paying for the convenience of always having a shave ready razor on hand when you need it. What would be nice is a case that allows you to mark which blades are ready to use again. Blade up for ready, blade down for used for example.

To use my previous underpants analogy. If you had one pair of pants you would have to do your laundry daily (with no pants on). Not ideal! With 8 pairs you can do your laundry weekly (fully clothed). Much more convenient!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
There is also a modern day advantage that no one has mentioned yet. Having a seven day set eliminates the need for daily razor maintenance and can help you get ready more quickly in the mornings.

Instead of stropping and honing one razor daily, you can prepare seven razors for the week ahead in one sitting. This would cut serious time out of your morning routine and is more time efficient overall.

Instead of getting your gear out and packing it up everyday you just do it once a week. Run each blade over the canvas strop, put it back. Run each blade over the leather strop, put it back. Run each blade over your balsa strop, put it back. Quick refresh of each blade on the leather, pack everything away and your good to go for the next week!

I could be sold on this idea after all. You are really paying for the convenience of always having a shave ready razor on hand when you need it. What would be nice is a case that allows you to mark which blades are ready to use again. Blade up for ready, blade down for used for example.

To use my previous underpants analogy. If you had one pair of pants you would have to do your laundry daily (with no pants on). Not ideal! With 8 pairs you can do your laundry weekly (fully clothed). Much more convenient!
I like your thinking.

Don't agree with the underpants analogy. Two pair of underpants should last all week, easily. After day 1 you wear them back-to-front. Day 3 turned inside-out, then day 4 back-to-front again. 😁

Legion

Staff member

I could put a disposable blade in a razor and use it all week. I suspect very few people who bother with a SR are doing it because it is convenient. Buying seven at a time to make it more so doesn’t really make much sense.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I could put a disposable blade in a razor and use it all week. I suspect very few people who bother with a SR are doing it because it is convenient. Buying seven at a time to make it more so doesn’t really make much sense.
True in that most appear to "bother" with a SR because they enjoy SR shaving more than any other type of shaving rather than convenience. This does not also mean that they may wish to have more convenience when SR shaving.

I SR shave at least daily because of the enjoyment. If pressed for time most days, which I am not, and I had the opportunity, I would have a seven-day set so that I could plan my edge maintenance all at one time that suits me.

Does that make sense to you?

Legion

Staff member
True in that most appear to "bother" with a SR because they enjoy SR shaving more than any other type of shaving rather than convenience. This does not also mean that they may wish to have more convenience when SR shaving.

I SR shave at least daily because of the enjoyment. If pressed for time most days, which I am not, and I had the opportunity, I would have a seven-day set so that I could plan my edge maintenance all at one time that suits me.

Does that make sense to you?
Yes and no. It’s a YMMV thing.
If I was going to use seven razors I would purposely choose seven different ones for variety. Maybe a few different hones.
If I wanted consistency I would use one razor and one hone.
If I wanted convenience it would be a DE and a bulk pack of blades.

SR shaving isn’t done because of convenience. It’s done because of the decrease in cost. I believe it also increases self confidence as well but YMMV. I’m doing something I know most don’t. Also for me, i have broken my fingers and several bones in my hand more than once so having to handle the smaller blades isn’t comfortable to me.
Is DE shaving convenient if you have to search for blades? My local stores don’t always have mine which is partly why I’m learning to use the SR.

Top Bottom