What's new

7 day challenge

So ive been doing this for a couple months but have not had much improvement. After a couple bad shaves i thought straights were just not for me. The big problem was with time in the mornings to shave so i have just been shaving once on the weekend, but not every week. Over the past week i told myself i would shave every single day with a straight and not pick up a DE razor for 7 days. I shaved at night so i had time. I did this every night last week and guess what; I improved dramatically. Today I had a full 3 pass shave, WTG XGT, no blood/irritation and pretty close! I lurk a lot here and see people with the same problems I had posting about the learning curve (and i still have a ways to go) but give it a try for 7 days. Im also really starting to like shaving at night because it is a great way to wind down after a long day, and i can take my time.
Anyway im happy I gave it one last try...which led to me buying another razor:cool:

Yeah, I did something similar, making a vow to only use a straight every day, if at all possible. The skill builds quickly, sinc you get all that repetition over shorter amounts of time. Good to know you didn't give up on things!

I firmly believe that in order to get great results with a straight razor, you have to commit to it... That means doing what you did. You likely still have a long way to go, but congratulations on the progress Sir:thumbup:

yep just do it and don't use a DE or anything to touch up so you can remember where you need work between shaves.

And so SRAD begins.

If you are only shaving with a straight once a week, extra patience will be required - it is going to take you a while to get the hang of it. Once you do, you should be able to get your shaves down to 15-20 minutes should you choose to shave in the morning.

I went a slightly different route. I used a straight and DE and I slowly expanded the number of zones per pass done with the straight and removed the DE. This let me focus on getting each zone for each direction correct with the straight. Now I have a 2 pass shave with very little DE that is very good and I can do it every day.

I found that focus on one area with a specific direction yielded better results than trying to get it all together at once. Plus, I never had to wear the hair shirt of a bad shave. I might have one area that was less than perfect, but never the entire face.

Congrats! I'm pretty new to straights also and I've noticed if I shave several days in a row my technique improves a lot.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Good timing. Having carefully re-honed my razors I'm on day three of just such a quest after being a Saturday and when I feel like it straight razor user. No blood. Shaves are good but I can feel the areas on my face where I need to improve.

I firmly believe that in order to get great results with a straight razor, you have to commit to it... That means doing what you did. You likely still have a long way to go, but congratulations on the progress Sir:thumbup:

Yup. Just like all the great conquerors who burned their ships to prevent retreat, you've got to commit.

I wonder if switching to a straight is analogous to divorcing your wife and then marrying a new one... The straight razor doesn't want to be a mistress...... :lol::lol::lol:

*No idea how that popped into my head, but it did...*

I went a slightly different route. I used a straight and DE and I slowly expanded the number of zones per pass done with the straight and removed the DE. This let me focus on getting each zone for each direction correct with the straight. Now I have a 2 pass shave with very little DE that is very good and I can do it every day.

I found that focus on one area with a specific direction yielded better results than trying to get it all together at once. Plus, I never had to wear the hair shirt of a bad shave. I might have one area that was less than perfect, but never the entire face.
Thats a great idea too, might try that.
yea i never intended to get into this much (buy one good razor and try it out) but ive already paid for another one after having more fun shaving with a straight than DE (sorry i just do). Well after a busy morning making me shave DE im ready for another 7 days of straight shaving:001_smile

Top Bottom