What's new

7.62x25mm - fans, myths and KBs

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
@ ad a
...Gave me even more respect for Papa Sha! The cylic rate is insane! Given a choice of MP40, Sten, Thompson, Grease Gun, or that PPSh... Think I'll take the x25.
Indeed ... just imagine having to make your way through the rubble of Stalingrad with your K98, knowing that you’ll be going up against those PPSh 41s ... it’s a stretch, but facing an MG42 emplacement comes to mind, no?

At nearly half the weight of the PPSh, make mine Sudayev’s PPS-43 ... I mean, who wants to be caught fiddling with or reloading a cumbersome drum, under fire, when one can just swap out a 35-round magazine?

Good PPSH -vs- MP40 video:

Uncle Larry w/a PPS-43 video:

Last edited:
Pinnacle High Performance can do a ream on your SP-101 cylinder, and cut it for moonclips, and, voila!, you can shoot the hottest 7.62x25, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Luger, .38 Super, 9mm Largo, and several others. :001_302: The Tokarev cartridges are pretty spectacular out of the 2.5" barrel...

shoelessjoe

Pinnacle High Performance can do a ream on your SP-101 cylinder, and cut it for moonclips, and, voila!, you can shoot the hottest 7.62x25, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Luger, .38 Super, 9mm Largo, and several others. :001_302: The Tokarev cartridges are pretty spectacular out of the 2.5" barrel...
Why, a 7.62x25 going down a .38/.357 & for that matter, a .327 Federal (.312?) SP-101 barrel might rattle around like that pea gravel we'd sneak inside our high school pal's hub caps, no?

Now, I would be highly interested if Pinnacle could/would fabricate a 7.62x25 conversion cylinder for a .30 Carbine-chambered New Model Blackhawk!

Why, a 7.62x25 going down a .38/.357 & for that matter, a .327 Federal (.312?) SP-101 barrel might rattle around like that pea gravel we'd sneak inside our high school pal's hub caps, no?

Now, I would be highly interested if Pinnacle could/would fabricate a 7.62x25 conversion cylinder for a .30 Carbine-chambered New Model Blackhawk!
Yeah, you see a good bit of drop with the .30/7.62 rounds, but the .38/9mm s are very accurate, and it's a hoot to see people looking sideways at you as you loads the various sizes of moonclips, one after another.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Um, Glock Carbine in x25 will do nicely for me.

My recent inventory of x25 was good news. I must have planned on shooting it in retirement.

Going to shoot my tricked-out CZ-52 on Friday! :tongue_sm

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Actually, instead of a de-fanged Tok round I wish someone would get some of those Cavitator slugs loaded into Polish 7.62x25 and see how far it can penetrate! :a11:

Tempting. I've got the dies and they're in stock.

🤔 Got Hornady XTPs....

Edit: been done: from the comments

I also have a couple of Read more about review stating Works well in both .30 Carbine and 7.62 Tok
pistols that fire 7.62x25mm, one of which I've always like to carry as a trail gun (not sure why, just always liked it). The problem I've always had is finding a good defensive projectile to load. I finely got a good chance to run some gel tests on my loads and I was impressed by a good looked damage track and 18" to 19" of penetration. The load a use pushes them out right about 1400fps, you can push them harder but I like to keep the pressure level moderate for these older eastern block guns. Accuracy was at least as good as my hp loads although I only tested them a short range (7 and 15 meters) and I had no feeding issues. Felt recoil was actually lighter then my RN target rounds. Ideally, I think a little lighter bullet would be better for use in this caliber (due to it's length) but I doubt Lehigh would get enough demand to justify that. As it is, it's a better option in my opinion then anything else I've come across. Read Less

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You might want to check out these guys - they offer some accessories for the Tok pistols. The compensator pops on in place of the stock barrel bushing. It adds length to an already long nosed pistol but really helps with recoil.

It's still out of stock... 🤔 That means it works! 🤣

The round is only a bit blasty. The CZ has more perceived recoil due to its higher bore axis.

Can't find a better recoil spring for the Tok, though the CZ has a stronger Wolff in it. The Tok's an easier carry, though.

AA

For lower recoil and wrist fatigue, try shooting some 7.63x25 Mauser ammo in your CZ. It's basically a lighter load than the Tok ammo, but the CZ's shoot it just fine. Roughly, very roughly analogous to a .38 compared to .357 magnum. The stronger pistol can shoot the lighter round but not vice versa.

For practice, plinking - or a safer EDC round - it's perfect. And most of the time it flies under the radar. Tok ammo will be sold out - but right next to the empty spot on the shelf one can usually find Mauser ammo. :c9:

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got the CZ-52 to the range today.

Haven't shot it in years, was shooting low at first...

full

Shot an embarrassing amount of 7.62x25.

Shaken neighbor asked what it was!😜

full

🤔 I was rotating the target, as it was shooting a bit low and I really, really didn't want to hit a target clip. Finally got the hold right.

No good shots of the pistol, but it's got black grippy Bakelite grips, a commando band as I didn't want to drop it 🤔 and I've dremeled "melted" the edges a bit for an easier hold.

Having shot a Tok two weeks ago, this higher bore axis is... Not as good. You feel more controllabilty issues. However this gun has a very strong recoil spring, which you want with x25. 🤔 If there's a better Tok spring, I can't find it.

Also, CZ-52 cleans up from shooting corrosive ammo easier. Pulling the firing pin is quite easy. Drenched it in windex - I know it's just water, but an old habit. Then Ballistol, etc.

AA

Last edited:
Yeah, the corrosive primer thing is a pain. It used to be the cheapness of the surplus ammo made you accept the corrosive issue. But with prices now you might as well shoot modern clean ammo.

shoelessjoe

...Also, CZ-52 cleans up from shooting corrosive ammo easier. Pulling the firing pin is quite easy. Drenched it in windex - I know it's just water, but an old habit. Then Ballistol, etc.

Back in the day, the gun shop I worked at sold loose SKS strippers, filled with copper-washed Chi-Comm rounds, for a mere dime apiece. We had a sign hanging above the display which included pricing, etc. & a BOLD-LETTERED, CORROSIVE AMMO admonishment.

An old-head shop regular told me the way he cleaned his SKS after a corrosive round session was to drench it with Windex at the range & then to give it a (furnitureless) hot water/dish soap bath ... the he’d use the wife’s blow dryer to evacuate the moisture & then lastly, finish up with a conventional, Hoppes-gun oil cleaning/lube.

One day, this guy walked into the shop with a Mini-30 that “was having issues”. Upon inspection, our gunsmith shook his head, then queried the customer about his ammo of choice & the guy points to the (display) WW2 Jeep whose back end was filled with the corrosive Chi-Comm rounds. Says he only shot the Ruger a few times, a couple hundred rounds each session, and then put it away without cleaning it. Shaking his head once again, the ‘smith pointed to the sign hanging over the Jeep!
That hapless Mini-30’s action looked just like a relief map of Wyoming’s, Hell’s Half Acre!

Unrelated, I remember that back in 1990, Mini-30 magazines were rarer than hen’s teeth & if found, usually sold for north of $40.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Back in the day, the gun shop I worked at sold loose SKS strippers, filled with copper-washed Chi-Comm rounds, for a mere dime apiece. We had a sign hanging above the display which included pricing, etc. & a BOLD-LETTERED, CORROSIVE AMMO admonishment.

An old-head shop regular told me the way he cleaned his SKS after a corrosive round session was to drench it with Windex at the range & then to give it a (furnitureless) hot water/dish soap bath ... the he’d use the wife’s blow dryer to evacuate the moisture & then lastly, finish up with a conventional, Hoppes-gun oil cleaning/lube.

One day, this guy walked into the shop with a Mini-30 that “was having issues”. Upon inspection, our gunsmith shook his head, then queried the customer about his ammo of choice & the guy points to the (display) WW2 Jeep whose back end was filled with the corrosive Chi-Comm rounds. Says he only shot the Ruger a few times, a couple hundred rounds each session, and then put it away without cleaning it. Shaking his head once again, the ‘smith pointed to the sign hanging over the Jeep!
That hapless Mini-30’s action looked just like a relief map of Wyoming’s, Hell’s Half Acre!

Unrelated, I remember that back in 1990, Mini-30 magazines were rarer than hen’s teeth & if found, usually sold for north of $40.

Since I was vacuuming up milsurps and combloc ammo 10-15 years ago 😢 (? Tempus fugit!), that's the time frame I was last shooting the Tok and CZ-52s... I simply followed the suggested cleaning regimen: would actually wipe the bore and boltface with water at the range, more at home, then Ballistol. I've never done boiling water, submerged in water etc. Never. Just water patches.

Ten years later, get'em back out shooting and I don't see a bit of an issue with rust, pitting etc. And it's super humid here.

And that long-term storage combloc ammo is coming to the rescue now! 🇺🇸

AA

Top Bottom