What's new

6 weeks in and a massive thank you to you all!

Evening everyone!

I'm James, I'm 28 and live in NW England - I've been a member here (and wet shaving) for approx 6 weeks and have to say thank you for the amount of information that you all contribute, it's accelerated my learning no end. Also, I've never seen such a supportive and positive community on the internet, uplifting to stumble upon.

I've been using a brush and cream for 5 years and cartridge razors since I was a lad, only recently started DE shaving recently, after having an uncomfortable cartridge shave on a week's growth and then looking for better solutions.

I've amassed a lot of stuff for a noob, some I've purchased, some I had already, and some razors I've been gifted from a dear friend.

Hardware
Razors
'65 Gillette Slim
Gillette Fatboy (unknown year, arriving tomorrow - hopefully!)
Merkur Futur (yet to use)
EJ DE89 (yet to use)
Brushes
TOBS super badger large brush
Crabtree & Evelyn travel brush
Blades - working my way through a sampler now and Permasharp, Personna Israeli Reds, and Bic platinum chromes stand out for me so far. Yet to try feathers but seem to like sharp blades.

Software
Pre

Trumper Skin Food Limes
During
TOBS peppermint cream
Crabtree & Evelyn W Indian Lime cream
Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood soap (the one that doesn't lather)
Homemade aftershave - witch hazel, eucalyptus and peppermint.
Nivea sensitive moisturiser (also contains witch hazel)

Cologne
Penhaligons Bayolea
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
ADP Oud

Heard some of you guys like pictures so here's a before and after of the slim I got at the start of March. Not had to replate it - it's just cleaned up well, I've repainted the numbers just today.

slim before and after.png

Welcome to B&B and glad you were able to find all you needed.

Looks like your slim cleaned up nicely.

Futur is a nice razor but it has been known to "bite the hand that holds it"

You may want to go over this old post of mine where I give a few "tips/hints" to keep it's teeth sheathed.

Futur Equivalent Setting to EJ DE89

The combination of Slim, Personna Reds, and TOBS Peppermint is one I rely on every week; a great package. Welcome to B & B!

Great gear!

Welcome on.

I love my Slim and Fatboy!
Thank you, I'm glad to be here! Bloody fantastic quality aren't they, the slim has been a pleasure to use so far, I'm excited to see how the FB compares!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Welcome to B&B and glad you were able to find all you needed.

Looks like your slim cleaned up nicely.

Futur is a nice razor but it has been known to "bite the hand that holds it"

You may want to go over this old post of mine where I give a few "tips/hints" to keep it's teeth sheathed.

Futur Equivalent Setting to EJ DE89
Cheers Mick! Sage advice - Im glad I read that, im going to 'save' the futur until I've become vaguely proficient with the Fatboy - I've heard from number of sources that it's a bit of a beast in the wrong hands :)

Cheers Mick! Sage advice - Im glad I read that, im going to 'save' the futur until I've become vaguely proficient with the Fatboy - I've heard from number of sources that it's a bit of a beast in the wrong hands :)

Don't be afraid of your Futur. It is just a little different from "normal" DE razors.

Every razor will have its quirks.

your fat boy and slim (as well as the super adjustable) need to have the butterfly's cracked if you want to change the blade setting dial with a blade installed. Just release the cap pressure by turning the knob enough to loosen things up. Make your adjustment then tighten back down. If you don't and try to change the blade adjustment with it locked in place, you run the risk of bent/twist/wear a bit more than necessary. All little things to keep under your cap for future reference.

I find Futur set at 2-3 to be a very efficient razor and one I enjoy using.

proxy.php

Don't be afraid of your Futur. It is just a little different from "normal" DE razors.

Every razor will have its quirks.

your fat boy and slim (as well as the super adjustable) need to have the butterfly's cracked if you want to change the blade setting dial with a blade installed. Just release the cap pressure by turning the knob enough to loosen things up. Make your adjustment then tighten back down. If you don't and try to change the blade adjustment with it locked in place, you run the risk of bent/twist/wear a bit more than necessary. All little things to keep under your cap for future reference.

I find Futur set at 2-3 to be a very efficient razor and one I enjoy using.

proxy.php
I'll report back upon first use if I still have my fingers [emoji23]

Ahh you have the vision! Very nice - that and the feather AS D2 are at the top of my 'If I had the money' wishlist

I'll report back upon first use if I still have my fingers [emoji23]

Ahh you have the vision! Very nice - that and the feather AS D2 are at the top of my 'If I had the money' wishlist

Bra....ha...ha...haaah.....

Wait till you find the world of custom razors

proxy.php

proxy.php

There's some beauties there for sure! But the second image, what is that??? Glorious

It is a one of a kind BRW custom Bull Progress. Started life as a Merkur progress but everything below the head was custom made

Here is another similar that is floating round in the wild (I see it pop up on B&B occasionally but can't recall who owns it)

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B. That Gillette SA cleaned up really well. I have just gone back to using a Slim Adjustable and am enjoying using it.

It is a one of a kind BRW custom Bull Progress. Started life as a Merkur progress but everything below the head was custom made

Here is another similar that is floating round in the wild (I see it pop up on B&B occasionally but can't recall who owns it)

proxy.php
That is a lovely, so is it one of a kind?

Top Bottom