What's new

6 shaves

So...in experimenting with blade life and seeing how far I could push a Polsilver SI, I learned a valuable lesson.
Six shaves is too many...the horror...

I use Gillette blades mostly and the Silver Blue's will give me 6 once in awhile but 4 maybe 5 is the norm for me.

I think it's a matter of technique and prep.

There is a yearly challenge in February called 'One Blade in February' where members report on trying to make it on one blade for the whole month (see: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...February-quot-Challenge?p=6002504#post6002504 ). Last time I made it to 36 shaves with a Black Indian 7 O'clock.

I am not even close to the 100+ (4 pass!!) shaves that Turtle made with the British Wilkinson: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/349341-So-How-far-would-YOU-go?p=5430142#post5430142 .

Please note that this has nothing to do with saving money and everything with controlling your own technique under extreme conditions!

I got six great shaves out of an Astra in my blue tip a few weeks ago...but this morning's fifth shave with the same blade in a Tech was one too many. A couple small nicks, and a post-shave sensation of having been scraped.

The first four shaves were smooth as silk, however.

Three and done. I can't see how even getting six shaves is worth it if one out of 4 blades bites me around shave 4, 5, or 6. And if several bit me at 3, I'd toss them at two. Thankfully none of my regulars bite me at 3.

I like pushing to at least 5-10 shaves per blade no matter what the brand just to see if I can do it. Most I can do it with, particularly with the right razor, but some just cannot make it. However, I do seem to get a lot more shaves per blade than most people report.

I like pushing to at least 5-10 shaves per blade no matter what the brand just to see if I can do it. Most I can do it with, particularly with the right razor, but some just cannot make it. However, I do seem to get a lot more shaves per blade than most people report.

By pushing the blade to more shaves you learn a lot about your technique. The more you learn the better you get at it. It's not about saving money, IMHO it's all about developing your technique to enjoying predictable, effortless and comfortable shaves.

I can usually make it to 7...which is convenient (shave everyday, change Sunday after the shave).

I also use this convenient cycle of weeks. I am now on my 7th week ( 53 rd shave) with a Polsilver SI.

Very much looking forward to a possibility to try the mythical Personna 74 later in this week!

53rd...whew! I know I could go past 7....but 53 is amazing. I say this because as an x straight user, an edge needs TLC to shave smoothly for 2 months!

53rd...whew! I know I could go past 7....but 53 is amazing. I say this because as an x straight user, an edge needs TLC to shave smoothly for 2 months!
My blade gets a stropping after each use. 3-4 laps per side with the blade in the razor on my shower towel after each 2 pass shave keeps it smooth. Of course changing to a more aggressive razor each week helps out too- but the main thing is prep and technique.

Same here.
Similar to that old chestnut along the lines "I bathe once a month whether I need to or not", I change blades every 7 days whether I need to or not. And it works fine for me.
As someone up above reported, we can all do marvelous things if we focus on technique.
But I fully respect the majority view of far fewer shaves per blade.

By the way, I respect all the guys who can get 7-10 shaves or more out of some blades. But one of the reasons I was attracted to return to DE shaving after decades of using multiblade cartridges was my tendency to stretch out each Mach 3 or Fusion cartridge. I really hated that and I really enjoy the idea of using fresh blades often. And if stretching out a blade means encountering duds and tuggers more often, then that would remind me of cartridges too much that it would debase the DE experience for me. Given how cheap blades are, I feel no guilt in tossing them early whereas tossing a $4 cartridge seemed wasteful even if I could afford it.

By the way, I respect all the guys who can get 7-10 shaves or more out of some blades. But one of the reasons I was attracted to return to DE shaving after decades of using multiblade cartridges was my tendency to stretch out each Mach 3 or Fusion cartridge. I really hated that and I really enjoy the idea of using fresh blades often. And if stretching out a blade means encountering duds and tuggers more often, then that would remind me of cartridges too much that it would debase the DE experience for me. Given how cheap blades are, I feel no guilt in tossing them early whereas tossing a $4 cartridge seemed wasteful even if I could afford it.

The best part of DE shaving to me is that you can toss whenever you want and not worry about cost of that blade since it's very small, OR you can try to stretch for every extra penny per shave off since you told your wife you would be SAVING money! :laugh:

Three and done....regardless of brand is how I roll.

+1, seriously at 3 shaves it costs me $0.20 a blade for Gillette Silver Blues and $0.27 a blade for feathers. That's still less than $0.10 a shave [emoji6]. Anymore than that on my face/thick hair I've had issues. Would rather enjoy a great shave vs save a few cents.

Top Bottom