What's new

6 Semogue impressions after short break in

I've not been here in a while. After learning a ton from you all and going crazy with acquisitions the first year I settled on an EJ DE89 with Feathers blades and a Semogue 1305. Was so happy I didn't bother looking at anything for the last 6 years. Finally decided I'd like to get a Semogue that didn't chip paint and that was a little less floppy. Back to B&B and of course you all had insane amounts of reviews and info to go though. Thanks again. Here we go:

830 - Just didn't do it for me. Didn't like the handle, and didn't lather anything like my 1305. Only gave it a few weeks before giving away. Maybe should have waited longer now that I'm more patient with boars.

630 - Great backbone. A prickly one with the Extra 75% tops, but she's breaking in after a month. My guess is another month to go. 3 passes no prob. Great face lather.

1470 - Finding these Best 90% tops an "in-between" feel. Breaking in well after 3 weeks. 2 more to go? 3 pass already no prob. Great little travel brush.

1800 - I think this is the one. Softer premium tops breaking in after only 2 weeks, with the backbone I was looking for from the Extra 75% thrown in there. Same handle I liked from 1305 without the cheap paint. I think in a month it will be the perfect boar brush. Just wish it didn't have the dye job.

SOC 2 band Badger - Finally wanted to see if I could get a badger with backbone. After all the reviews, decided I'd stick with Semogue. A good choice, solid value for what you get. Already a great brush only 3 shaves in. Beautiful handle and beautiful knot, if a little on the large/wide side for me.

Omega 10066 - Had to throw this in there as this cheap little brush really kicks some *** and broke in pretty quick. Eats up any soap with it's strong backbone and great for face lathering with soft tips.

Conclusion: Semogue makes great brushes. The prices are amazing for the quality. All make a great lather with anything. Anyone of these would make a go to brush on their own. At these prices I wanted to try all the hairs and handles (aside from super 70% on the 2000). If the 630 and 1470 don't get softer after a couple months, they will make great gifts. My face is a bit sensitive for too much scritch. The 1305 is still the softest. I think between the 1800 and SOC 2 band I'll be totally set for a while. So much has already been covered already on Semogues, but I hope this will still be helpful to someone. Was time to give back a bit ;-)

To be honest, I am not too impressed by Semogue so far. Have three of their brushes, 1250, and two SOC, boar and 2-band badger.

The 1250 does not seem to get much better than it was new. Kinda floppy, rather a small loft that does not hold enough lather, most of the times, I need to reload before the second pass. I compare it with Turkish #6 brush. It feels pretty similar. Something really odd that I found with this specific brush, it's the inability of holding water. I usually dip the hairs of the brush in water in order to add some more water to the lather, but this does not work with the 1250. I can dip it, it's like the hairs just don't want to get wet. Even if I drop some water into the loft, it seems to miraculously disappear. I'm scared at this point that my neighbor will come screaming that all the water that I'm dropping into the brush is ending up in his house through the Semogue 1250 portal.

The SOC boar is good. It does have a good density, it holds lather and it's nice to use. It does actually get water when I dip the hairs, so that's good.

The 2-band badger SOC, for me, is not to write home about. It's working, but it's not the kind of brush that I enjoy using. If I want a soft brush, I'll use my Plisson without any restraint. If I want more backbone, I'll use a boar. I just don't get the "luxurious" feel that badger brushes should give, or the advantage of the backbone offered by the 2-band badger. It does feel too densely packed sometimes, and that's not always a good thing. It sometimes feels like a soft towel on my face, and it's just not for me.

Now, even if I kinda enjoy the SOC boar, I can say that I simply enjoy my Omegas much more. Especially the Proraso brush (Omega 49). I find the amount of backbone, the loft dimensions just perfect on that brush.
Semogues definitely win at looks. They all look nice, with the wooden handles. But, as far as ergonomy go, I find the Omega 10066 handle to be much better. Not only as dimensions but as far as materials go too. It's not slippery or hefty, it just feels great in your hand. It's easy to maneuver, and also easier to maintain, being plastic.

Thanks a lot. Nice review. I have a 1470 and used it for months. I wanted to like it but I just didn't find it held enough lather. I kept thinking needs time to break in etc. No dice. I went with a selection of synthetic brushes and haven't looked back. They explode with lather. This review makes me wanna try another boar brush. This thread makes me wanna find another Semogue boar that will hold a lather.

I have the 620, 830 and 1478. The 620 is my favorite and my badgers have taken a back seat to them. The 1478 is almost exactly the same but with the wooden handle. I prefer the 620 though.

My favorite Semogue brushes are the 1800 as you mentioned and the SOC boar. They feel the best. I would rate the SOC a little higher than the 1800 only because it has a bigger knot but other than that they are both top notch brushes. The 1800 gives the most bang for your buck.

$OB_Semogue.jpg$OB_SOC.jpg

After certain criteria, I think edit disappears.

I do wish you'd been more patient with the Semogue 830, as it really does pay off once it's used about a week or two. Maybe you can pick up another one at some point in the future and try it out again.

One that you might be interested in is the Omega 10098. Very soft and efficient, with a wonderful handle in the hand, and very reasonable price.

Best of luck to you!

Penknight, I wish I had too now. Might have to get one again. That 10098 is much larger than I prefer, but just might try it as I've been so happy with the 10066. Like the look of the handle too. Thanks!

I understand. I was thinking that a brush like the Omega 10098 would be too large for me to handle when I was looking at picking up a new brush, but I was honestly surprised by how it performs - at least for me. My fiancée liked it so much when she borrowed mine a few times that she picked up one for herself.

One thing that I liked is how soft it is against the skin, but exfoliates just fine. It was actually my favorite brush for quite a while, and is still in my top three, actually.

Be sure to let us know what you think of it should you pick one up!

I have the 1800, 620, 1250, 1470 and SOC boar and liked my 10066 and now my newer Proraso Boar better. The Proraso boar is great - face latherers should strongly consider it. The handle is chromed plastic, but comfortable. If this knot was in the SOC handle it would be one of the most sought after brushes. I find it is hard to consistently get three passes out of the Semogue brushes - not the SOC though.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

I have a love/hate with my 620. It's been slow to fully break in, even after 3 months. Some days it dries stiff and scritchy. Some days it dries like a Badger.

Still, I can't help but use it every day. I guess in hopes it will get consistently softer.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks for the great review! I'm a big fan of the 1800 as well. I probably like the 2000 just a bit better, but I like big barber-type knots. And honestly it depends on the soap; the 1800 was the best on Haslinger Schafmilch. I understand if you're turned off from the 2000 if you don't like big brushes, but I wouldn't discount the knot. On paper, it looks like an inferior grade, but in reality it's a great knot - plenty soft after break in and great density.

Thanks for the great review! I'm a big fan of the 1800 as well. I probably like the 2000 just a bit better, but I like big barber-type knots. And honestly it depends on the soap; the 1800 was the best on Haslinger Schafmilch. I understand if you're turned off from the 2000 if you don't like big brushes, but I wouldn't discount the knot. On paper, it looks like an inferior grade, but in reality it's a great knot - plenty soft after break in and great density.

I love the 1800. I think it is one of the best boar brushes of all. I tried the 2000 twice and I did not like it. To me the 1800 is the best Semogue brush they make.

$Semogue 1800.jpg

You can never have too many pictures in these threads.

I love the 1800. I think it is

Its really funny to see just how particular shaving seems to be. I only now see it as I am older and more experienced with the variety of products I've. Its really a journey. I am exclusively a face latherer. My daily driver is a 1470, I do two passes. I got the omega 49 and find that it struggles to produce lather compared to every other brush I've owned (plisson synthetic, SOC, SR silver tip, junk best badger, omega wooden handle from drug store). I found the feel to be decent, but thats about it!

You didn't have them listed but the 610, 1438 and the 1470 are all outstanding brushes.
I recently bought a Simpsons Berkeley 46 and it just can't compare to my three Semogues.

Top Bottom