What's new

6-piece set for $70 Norton "look alike" - is it worth it?

So, I've found this best selling deal on Amazon.

I know there are some $300/piece Japanese stones, but then I am not a professional and this is not even a hobby for me. So, I've no intention of spending north of $1,000 for a bunch of "super stones".

Judging by reviews, these seem great.

Anything I should be aware of?

1588601972478.png

Knives generally are sharpened at a much coarser grit than straight razors. Abrasive density and hardness come into play as well. Soft stones dish faster. I would not be a buyer, jmo.

So, I've found this best selling deal on Amazon.

I know there are some $300/piece Japanese stones, but then I am not a professional and this is not even a hobby for me. So, I've no intention of spending north of $1,000 for a bunch of "super stones".

Judging by reviews, these seem great.

Anything I should be aware of?

View attachment 1095775
It might work. It's better if you can find something that someone else has used and can recommend.

What I use is not that much different. I use a King 1000 grit for $30 and two Japanese Waterstone Slipstones that are 4000 grit and 8000 grit. The closest thing I could find now sell for $15 and $25.

Plus I use a "12k" finishing hone

if it is not a hobby then you don't really need a full set of stones.

Get a solid 8k stone and a naniwa 12k for 200$ in total. will last you forever and down the road when 8k does not work you can get a 5k stone.

Those stones are okay for knife sharpening, but from what I have seen people just get it as a starter kit

if it is not a hobby then you don't really need a full set of stones.

Get a solid 8k stone and a naniwa 12k for 200$ in total. will last you forever and down the road when 8k does not work you can get a 5k stone.

Those stones are okay for knife sharpening, but from what I have seen people just get it as a starter kit
Naniwa 12K's on it's way already.

I was looking at this set, as it seems like a bargain to me and very convenient. It comes nicely packed in a box, with the pad and lapping stone, too... So, I figured for $70 I get it all... and can store it in the garage conveniently.

BTW you're right - I probably don't need anything but a 12K for touch-ups... but then, if the razor's not to my liking, I'd rather have the set to hone it properly...

Research. Buy once, cry once. I don't think you'd be happy with those stones for razors.
Agreed, but I'm not a then Honemeister, not even a hobbyist. I've got two SRs, looking to add one more (custom). So, while I totally get why the 300$/a piece stone is the real deal, I'm not spending that kind of money on them damned stones. I shave only twice a week after all...

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Have your razors professionally honed, then maintain them with a 10k Naniwa Super Stone, 10mm thick. It’s about $50.

Since you already have the Naniwa 12k coming. You don't need to be in a rush for coarser stones.

That set may well be worth $70, but only a person with experience would be able to make that judgement and since a person with experience already has good stones it's unlikely that they would ever try that kit to know.

Also all that you are really getting there is 2 two side stones. All of that other crap that comes with it adds up to nothing. A King 1k/6k is in the $30-40 dollar range and while it's not the greatest, it is a known quantity and is definitely usable. As someone new to honing razors there is a lot of value to using stones that other people use successfully. If you're having trouble and using stones without a track record, no one would be able to help you without trying to use those stones themselves.

I suppose that you did the right thing by posting a link and asking about them. Who knows, someone here may have given them a try.

The clue to these stones is stamped on the side, KNIFEPLANET.
They'll be just good enough to sharpen knives and that's about it, don't let them anywhere near a razor. I had a cheap 4000/1000, it bellied out super fast, so they don't work out any cheaper than buying a decent stone. Also the glue holding the stones together separated very quickly, leaving you with a couple of thin beveled out stones.
I ended up using mine hand held for small knives. I decided to cut a couple of pieces off and use them as dressing stones and was amazed at how easily an unsupported hacksaw blade cut through them. Soft as ... you know!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Agreed, but I'm not a then Honemeister, not even a hobbyist. I've got two SRs, looking to add one more (custom). So, while I totally get why the 300$/a piece stone is the real deal, I'm not spending that kind of money on them damned stones. I shave only twice a week after all...
You’ve got a Nani 12k coming so you should be set for a while.

The clue to these stones is stamped on the side, KNIFEPLANET.
They'll be just good enough to sharpen knives and that's about it, don't let them anywhere near a razor. I had a cheap 4000/1000, it bellied out super fast, so they don't work out any cheaper than buying a decent stone. Also the glue holding the stones together separated very quickly, leaving you with a couple of thin beveled out stones.
I ended up using mine hand held for small knives. I decided to cut a couple of pieces off and use them as dressing stones and was amazed at how easily an unsupported hacksaw blade cut through them. Soft as ... you know!
Seeing your avatar made my heart sing... yup, I'm one of those strange folks who LOVE LOVE LOVE the YSL Kouros 😁

Always have a bottle... that's one of those things I always get in a DFS @ the airport... damn, I miss flying, with this lockdown.

Thanks for the input on the stones!

Cheers

1588782459248.png

Seeing your avatar made my heart sing... yup, I'm one of those strange folks who LOVE LOVE LOVE the YSL Kouros 😁

Always have a bottle... that's one of those things I always get in a DFS @ the airport... damn, I miss flying, with this lockdown.

Thanks for the input on the stones!

Cheers

View attachment 1096653

Hard to beat Kouros.
Also you should try the YSL deodorant stick. They're expensive, but last for ages.

I think those hones will work out for you. It doesn't matter if they are soft...flatten them. Honing a razor really isn't that complicated. You're only going to use them a few times with 3 razors.

They're 'worth it' if you buy them and you like them.
If you buy them and don't like them then it was either a learning experience and/or a waste of money.
Personally, I woudn't buy them.

I have not experienced those exact stones in person but I have had a Bearmoo stone (similar if not exact same thing) and it was, IMO, junk. Way too soft to have any sort of reliable wear resistance, or any ability to stay true. Cutting was uneven, inconsistent, and bevels were marked with many deep rogue striations. Maybe OK, for some people, for general purpose cutlery.
Note, if you don't have a stone, then even a junk stone is better than no stone. I guess. Maybe.
Can someone hone a razor on them?
Probably.
How good will the finished result be?
Have to assume extremely sub-par compared to what I'm used to.

As for things to know -
Amazon reviews are notoriously blatant lies, posted by shills, totally incorrect and or posted by clueless purchasers that haven't actually used the item.

Cheap always sells, so 'best selling' doesn't always mean a whole lot when its used as a gauge for quality.

Chinese whetstones are always seriously over-reated for their 'grit assignment'. I'd expect their 8k to be more like 4k. The Bearmoo 3k/8k was more like a bad 1k/4k. Maybe 2k/5k. Sorta. The honing feel was awful. Being a soaker, I wasn't going to be happy with it anyway, I don't like permasoaking stones, and I dislike waiting 30 minutes to hone, and 3 weeks to dry.

Top Bottom